This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worth The Splurge.

sickchick

sickchick Community Regular

Kay guys, what are your top grocery 'splurges' and why? $$$ B)

Mine are: Virgin Coconut Oil (thank you Rice Guy for pointing this little jar of saturated love out to me) 10$ a jar here

why? it's tastes phenominal, is incredibly versatile, and since I have switched to using this exclusively I have been feeling better! :D

Organic Coconut Flour I need not explain why this is a little bit of mouthwatering muffin making heaven :lol: It's just over $7.oo a bag @ health food store but worth every penny. hehehe

Organic Almond Butter mmm melts in your mouth, I use it frequently in Thai dishes replacing standard peanut butter, rich and flavorful. $6.99 @ grocery but sooo worth it! :)

Fresh Pineapple I budget for one a week. It's so hard to not eat the whole thing when I am making a recipe with them. I love the way it drips all the way down to your armpit when your cutting it too! lol ;) $1.29 a pound @ grocery

Organic Maple Syrup ON PUMPKIN PANCAKES... coming right up! :lol: $7.99 a bottle @ grocery and so worth it! (budget 1 a month for me)

Organic Frozen Sausages & Bacon I keep in freezer for adding to bean soups, very flavorful so a little goes a long way... I pay $5.99 for 8 slices of bacon and $7.99 for 4 sausages.

lovelove

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wolfie Enthusiast

OH Yum....I have been wanting to try the almond butter but it was $7.69 at the store!! OUCH!!! At least I know that it is worth it and may have to treat myself here soon. I eat PB every day, but there is no way I could to the AB at that price daily.

My splurges:

Kinnikinnick Donuts for DS

Pamela's Wheat Free Bread..I buy it by the case for bread, bagels & pizza dough

Beef Tenderloin (for Filet Mignon)

Scallops (sea scallops)

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
Mine are: Virgin Coconut Oil

Yep, I ditto that.

Sunbutter - my preference is the honey/crunch kind.

Why? Because 2 of my three kids are allergic to peanuts... but I love peanut butter. Sunbutter tastes incredibly close to PB, without being a risk to my children. $6.99 a jar.

Gosh, I'm sure I have more... but my mind just went blank. Geez, I guess I'd better eat some lunch or something! =)

Lori L. Rookie
Yep, I ditto that.

Sunbutter - my preference is the honey/crunch kind.

Why? Because 2 of my three kids are allergic to peanuts... but I love peanut butter. Sunbutter tastes incredibly close to PB, without being a risk to my children. $6.99 a jar.

Gosh, I'm sure I have more... but my mind just went blank. Geez, I guess I'd better eat some lunch or something! =)

I noticed your name "jayhawk mom". I'm from NE Okla/SE Kansas area. Also a jayhawk fan!!

Mango04 Enthusiast

Today I bought some organic red wine vinegar, fair trade black tea, and an amazing organic dark chocolate called Vivani. Hmmm...yesterday I bought my favorite spicy vanilla iced tea called Tee-Ja-Vu. Wow so this is where all my money's going. Good thing I worked overtime all summer. :lol:

I think tomorrow I will buy some organic chicken (about $12 per chicken breast where I live :o ) Or, maybe I won't. :unsure:

Fun thread.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Hi all.

What brand of almond butter and sunbutter do you buy and where do you buy it. I love PB, but for some reason it doesn't love me right now. :(

On the coconut oil and coconut flour - does it have a strong coconut taste? Do you prefer a specific brand?

Can you use high heat with the coconut oil? I know some oils have a low flashpoint.

Thanks.

Juliebove Rising Star

I try to buy as much organic as possible. I just feel it is better for us, even if it costs more money!

I like coconut oil and flour. I think it is healthy.

I like avocado oil. Expsensive but good in mashed potatoes.

Soy and dairy free chocolate for daughter. She likes it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

My entire grocery run is a "splurge"......LOL

I literally work for food. Years ago, DH said if I made enough money to cover our food, he could cover the rest. At first it meant just working part-time, but then my food needs got more expensive. Then came the supplements. So I had to paint more and sell more of my art. Luckily, people like what I do, so I can afford to eat well.

Wild Caught Salmon

Repunzel Chocolate for Hubby - I dont eat it

Organic Grass Fed Beef

Scallops

Wild Caught Shrimp

Coconut Oil

Organic Olive Oil

Macadamia Oil

Organic Almond Butter

Organic Turkey Breast

Almond Flour from Digestive Wellness - Theirs is the best I have found so far

Hazelnut Flour from Digestive Wellness - Even more pricey....but oh so yummy

Bout the only thing I buy that is cheap is frozen cauliflower, squash and brussel sprouts. I dont buy organic on these because they are very low on the residue scale. And my plantain chips are cheap.

You dont even want to know how much I spend a week on groceries for a family of 3.......

jerseyangel Proficient

Many of my groceries are high ticket, but I haven't been out to eat in 3 years, so I figure it kinda evens out :D

Organic almond butter--(9.99 :o )

Pure maple syrup

Extra virgin olive oil

Boylan Cane Cola

Bell and Evans fresh chicken

Organic fruits and veggies when available

Etc.... :P

Hi all.

What brand of almond butter and sunbutter do you buy and where do you buy it. I love PB, but for some reason it doesn't love me right now. :(

On the coconut oil and coconut flour - does it have a strong coconut taste? Do you prefer a specific brand?

Can you use high heat with the coconut oil? I know some oils have a low flashpoint.

Thanks.

I have seen sunbutter online (I wanna say amazon for some reason) but haven't tried it yet! Honey crunch sounds YUM! :lol:

I buy the Spectrum Organic here it does taste like Coconut.. I think that is why I love it so much... it's a little 'exotic' ;):huh:B)

Pyro Enthusiast

If you can, get almond fresh ground at the grocery store. They do that here around Portland. It's great, but having a big jar of it causes more problems than it helps. It's easier to just have a serving for when you want it than have a big stash gnawing at the back of your mind. Besides, I feel it goes bad fairly quickly even in the fridge.

My worst enemy are Endangered Species chocolate bars. I treat my self to them almost everyday (don't like to admit it!). It's a real pain to constantly see "$2.49" when looking at your bank statement!

Purely decadent is also bad. Pretty pricey, but I make sure I don't have more than one every 4 days if that makes a difference.

Organic meat is also addictive. New seasons and Trader Joe's have the best steaks. So juicy and flavorful. Though I'm a little better on that not counting this week with my $10 a day on just meat allowance. That really needs to stop soon :lol:

Those are all worth it, though.

Fresh veggies are also a splurge IMO because the salads I like really add up. Fresh baby spinach is very expensive considering how little it does to fill you up. More expensive than even fillet medallions IMO. This one isn't so worth it because you could always go frozen.

My entire grocery run is a "splurge"......LOL

I literally work for food. Years ago, DH said if I made enough money to cover our food, he could cover the rest. At first it meant just working part-time, but then my food needs got more expensive. Then came the supplements. So I had to paint more and sell more of my art. Luckily, people like what I do, so I can afford to eat well.

Wild Caught Salmon

Repunzel Chocolate for Hubby - I dont eat it

Organic Grass Fed Beef

Scallops

Wild Caught Shrimp

Coconut Oil

Organic Olive Oil

Macadamia Oil

Organic Almond Butter

Organic Turkey Breast

Almond Flour from Digestive Wellness - Theirs is the best I have found so far

Hazelnut Flour from Digestive Wellness - Even more pricey....but oh so yummy

Bout the only thing I buy that is cheap is frozen cauliflower, squash and brussel sprouts. I dont buy organic on these because they are very low on the residue scale. And my plantain chips are cheap.

You dont even want to know how much I spend a week on groceries for a family of 3.......

Shay where do you get Hazelnut flour??? I would totally buy that...

thanks, Doll B)

ShayFL Enthusiast

I buy here now:

Open Original Shared Link

They blow Bob's out of the water. They grind to order, so it smells so fresh. And is a finer grind than Bob's. Makes delicious muffins and cakes. SCD blueberry muffins with these are awesome.

But.....you asked....not my fault you will be adding another "splurge" item. ;)

LOL!!! :lol:

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator
Kay guys, what are your top grocery 'splurges' and why? $$$ B)

Mine are: Virgin Coconut Oil (thank you Rice Guy for pointing this little jar of saturated love out to me) 10$ a jar here

why? it's tastes phenominal, is incredibly versatile, and since I have switched to using this exclusively I have been feeling better! :D

Organic Coconut Flour I need not explain why this is a little bit of mouthwatering muffin making heaven :lol: It's just over $7.oo a bag @ health food store but worth every penny. hehehe

Organic Almond Butter mmm melts in your mouth, I use it frequently in Thai dishes replacing standard peanut butter, rich and flavorful. $6.99 @ grocery but sooo worth it! :)

Fresh Pineapple I budget for one a week. It's so hard to not eat the whole thing when I am making a recipe with them. I love the way it drips all the way down to your armpit when your cutting it too! lol ;) $1.29 a pound @ grocery

Organic Maple Syrup ON PUMPKIN PANCAKES... coming right up! :lol: $7.99 a bottle @ grocery and so worth it! (budget 1 a month for me)

Organic Frozen Sausages & Bacon I keep in freezer for adding to bean soups, very flavorful so a little goes a long way... I pay $5.99 for 8 slices of bacon and $7.99 for 4 sausages.

lovelove

OMG, pumpkin pancakes sound amazing. how do you make them?

lizard00 Enthusiast

Maple Butter @ $9.99 a jar. But it is soooo good and worth it.

My big splurges are coffee (no cheap stuff for me), organic produce, and avocadoes. They are pretty expensive here on the east coast. But I can't live without them!!!!

cmom Contributor
I have seen sunbutter online (I wanna say amazon for some reason) but haven't tried it yet! Honey crunch sounds YUM! :lol:

I buy the Spectrum Organic here it does taste like Coconut.. I think that is why I love it so much... it's a little 'exotic' ;):huh:B)

Has anyone trired the Spectrum Organic Apple Cider Vinegar? I have some and it is the strongest stuff I've ever tried to ingest!!! Have to choke it down almost! :)

OMG, pumpkin pancakes sound amazing. how do you make them?

The easy way?? B) LOL

I add 1 cup pamela's baking mix and then about 1/2 cup pumkin puree, water or milk (water for me cause I am lac-tarded) and stir til it's a good semi-thick consistancy (about the consistancy of a milkshake), add cinnamon and ginga and then I heat up my cast-iron griddle, and voiala! Pour out lots of maple syrup on top :lol:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
The easy way?? B) LOL

I add 1 cup pamela's baking mix and then about 1/2 cup pumkin puree, water or milk (water for me cause I am lac-tarded) and stir til it's a good semi-thick consistancy (about the consistancy of a milkshake), add cinnamon and ginga and then I heat up my cast-iron griddle, and voiala! Pour out lots of maple syrup on top :lol:

No eggs huh? Does the pumpkin help hold it together? Are they kinda flat or fluffy?

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've tasted several brands of coconut oil, but none come even close to Open Original Shared Link. The cost is over my limit, unfortunately, though I did buy some once, and it's so amazingly good, I sorta wish I hadn't, just coz now I know what I'm missing. They have a sample size, so you don't have to spend a lot to find out how it tastes. I think it tastes and smells like fresh coconut. I'd be interested if anyone else has tried it. Most others are processed with too much heat, thus the oil has a roasted/burnt aroma and taste. One brand I have not tried yet is Spectrum Organics, just because the description on their site seems so unimpressive. Anyone care to give a description of the taste of the Spectrum product? The price seems too low for it to really be any better than the usual.

Anyway, coconut oil has a smoke point of about 350

ShayFL Enthusiast

I bought this coconut oil the last time and I am REALLY enjoying it. Nice fresh coconut smell and taste:

Open Original Shared Link

It is a little cheaper than yours RiceGuy, but I might try yours next time and compare. This new company also sells the Macadamia oil.

No eggs huh? Does the pumpkin help hold it together? Are they kinda flat or fluffy?

No they are surprisingly fluffy! :)

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Ok, are you using this coconut oil for...what...anything I would be using canola oil for?? I'm starting to get into this whole cooking thing - never knew I'd enjoy it so much until my son's diagnosis sent me to the kitchen.

Same question for coconut flour? I supposed I should just do a search for recipes, but I thought I throw it out here. If you're splurging it must be good.

And ShayFL - I just realized you've only been gluten-free since April! WOW! I don't know how I missed that, but I had you pegged as an "old timer"! Thanks for all your great posts!

My splurges...anything food related! I hate to shop for clothes, shoes, etc. But get me near a food store and I'm in heaven. I'd love to open a Whole Foods Market one day! But I'd probably just wander the aisles staring dreamy eyed at all the food - since I'd own the store it would techinically be ALL MINE!! Ahhhh....

purple Community Regular
Ok, are you using this coconut oil for...what...anything I would be using canola oil for?? I'm starting to get into this whole cooking thing - never knew I'd enjoy it so much until my son's diagnosis sent me to the kitchen.

Same question for coconut flour? I supposed I should just do a search for recipes, but I thought I throw it out here. If you're splurging it must be good.

And ShayFL - I just realized you've only been gluten-free since April! WOW! I don't know how I missed that, but I had you pegged as an "old timer"! Thanks for all your great posts!

My splurges...anything food related! I hate to shop for clothes, shoes, etc. But get me near a food store and I'm in heaven. I'd love to open a Whole Foods Market one day! But I'd probably just wander the aisles staring dreamy eyed at all the food - since I'd own the store it would techinically be ALL MINE!! Ahhhh....

coconut oil:

I like it best for popping pop corn. Use plenty and skip the butter.

Stir fry

Saute onions, peppers, garlic

Fried potatoes

Rashes, sores, dry skin, peely nose from colds and sunburn

I haven't used it much for baking b/c of the expense, but I am starting to.

Frying tortillas and pancakes

I used to fry chicken strips in it but going gluten-free I switched to baking them.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I use it mostly in baking and sometimes I throw a dollop in a smoothie. I personally prefer olive oil or sesame for stir-frys. But that is just me. It works great for them, I just like the taste of the other oils over Coconut. Coconut isnt bad, just different. I use it in Thai dishes......yummy!

Archived