This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Great Fried Chicken & Cod Dejonghe Recipes

Guest barbara3675

Guest barbara3675

The chicken nugget recipe that was on this message board for so long was such a hit, that I took it to another level and made skinless, boneless chicken breast the same way. Just put the breasts in beaten egg, then crushed Lay's Potato Chips and then pan fry in olive oil. They are so good and such a good substitute for fried chicken.

I make the cod de jonghe by putting good cod loins in a baking dish, cover with crushed Lay's Potato chips and then garlic powder and melted butter. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15-20 or until flaky....really yummy. You can make this with shrimp or scallops etc. too. I am so grateful to the person who came up with the crushed Lay's idea. The young people that work for me say that the chicken nuggets made with them are better than the ones at Mc D's!!!!!!!

There is no need to suffer just because you can't have gluten!!!!!!!!

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thomas Apprentice

You could bread chicken strips/fish with crushed gluten free corn flakes. It's a healthier alternative to chips, and less salty...

Guest Leidenschaft

My gluten-free Chicken Strips are even better than my non-ones! :rolleyes: I used to use regular Corn Flakes and Saltines (sp?) Soda Crackers, my mom, Viola/Shirley, suggested using crushed gluten-free Pretzels in place of the soda crackers, and of course the gluten-free corn flakes! YUMMY!!! They are crispier and have the same great flavour! Of course there are more ingredients that I'm keeping secret... never know when I may want to give up dogs and open a gluten-free restaurant! :lol: NOT!! :blink:

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:lol: i used to make fried chicken with crushed corn flakes for my kids years ago and they loved it--i never thought of trying that now again---i did it with chips too---thanks guys :lol: deb
angel-jd1 Community Regular

I had tried making those nuggets with the potato chips. I really didn't care for them much. They tasted "ok". They were just way too much work for what came out. I wouldn't waste my time making them again. Just my opinion.

However, I bet it would make a good coating for the fish you suggested.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest Leidenschaft

i've never used potato chips and frankly it doesn't sound like my cup of tea... however the corn flake/pretzel combo is excellent. It is a LOT of work and I don't make them nearly as often as I'd like to eat them because they are time consuming. When I do make them, I try to do lots and freeze a batch too! They go straight from my freezer to my deep fryer and cook up in minutes! A good project for a friend and a bottle of wine, or the kids and/or grandkids! The youngsters enjoy the assembly line, and getting gooey! :lol: Egg mixture, flour mixture, crumb mixture... equals room for three kids!

debimashni Newbie

I bought a deep fryer because my son was still sneaking out to KFC with his friends. He loves the gluten-free fried chicken nuggets that I make for him now.

I soak the chicken in a mixture of buttermilk and beaten egg for an hour. Then I shake the nuggets in a mixture of cornmeal, sweet rice flour, salt, pepper and paprika. I put them in the deep fryer for about 7 or 8 mins. and drain on paper towels.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mrsfish-94 Apprentice

My son is allergic to eggs. My daughter is allergic to dairy. What do you suggest I use as a subsitute? :( My daughter used to live on Chicken nuggets. It was the only protein I could get ther to eat. Any help would be great!

mrsfish

celiac3270 Collaborator

For processed gluten-free chicken nuggets--a company, Ians, makes them and they're really terrific. About 12 in a package, but make sure it says gluten-free on the box because they make them gluten-free and non-gluten-free and the boxes look almost identical.

My mom made the chicken nuggets wiht potato chips for my family once--everyone liked them--I think I'd rather eat the Ians....they're good--just, if you make them, don't expect them to look normal--because they don't--taste isn't bad, though :)

Guest barbara3675

Just wanted to add that I used BAKED Lay's Potato Chips so that took away some of the calories and fat. I was looking for something that was like what we had before and this came closest.

Barbara

celiac3270 Collaborator

Mrsfish,

For your daughter who is allergic to dairy, she could eat the gluten-free nuggets--if she can have egg, then you just dip the meat in the egg, then roll it in Lays Classic Potato Chips crushed by a blender--the potato chips you would use for the recipe are dairy-free, lactose-free, casein-free (see the following lists):

Open Original Shared Link

For your son--they have a list of FritoLays products that CONTAIN egg--just subtract these, which mostly include cookies, from all of the other products and you have your egg-free list, which again includes Lays Classic potato chips. If an egg substitute would work all right with it (and I'm not sure if it would), he too could have the chip nuggets, which look strange, but if you and your children can get by that, taste really good for homemade. Now, the egg-CONTAINING list:

catfish Apprentice

Besides potato chips, gluten-free pretzels and corn flakes you can also use crushed gluten-free rice crispies for breading. It tastes a lot like bread crumb breading on fried foods. I usually throw some gluten-free rice crispies into the food processor with my gluten-free bread when I am making gluten-free bread crumbs because it makes it go further. It doesn't have the corn-y flavor that corn flakes have.

mrsfish-94 Apprentice

Ok I made homemade chicken nuggets for my daughter today...and she loved them! I used rice flour, little onion powder,salt and pepper. They really tasted great! I baked them. They were a little dusty still. Any suggestions for that? Less dreging maybe?

mrsfish

• 2 weeks later...
Donna F Enthusiast

I made tenders dipped in egg, all purpose gluten-free flour and ground up chex-style cereal, fried in vegetable oil 5 min. each side, and it was yummy. I salted them a bit also, but I will try a little paprika in the mix next time.

Thanks so much for these ideas! Maybe I'll try crumbs or corn flakes next time, but the rice-chex (gluten-free) tasted a lot like the real thing.

-donna

Donna F Enthusiast
Ok I made homemade chicken nuggets for my daughter today...and she loved them! I used rice flour, little onion powder,salt and pepper. They really tasted great! I baked them. They were a little dusty still. Any suggestions for that? Less dreging maybe?

Yeah, the problem with dredging and baking is there is nothing to wet the flour. I don't know how nuggets will turn out this way, but when I fry chicken like that, I put a big slab of butter on top of each one, and that crisps up the flour nicely. You can even pour a little broth over it while it's cooking to do the same thing.

-donna

Archived