20 replies to this topic

#16 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:07 PM

The admission fee includes screening for celiac disease, test results, educational sessions, cooking classes for teens, exhibits, food sampling and entertainment.

Oh wow... that sounds like fun! I'd love to go but I am insanely busy for the next 3 weeks <_< Hopefully, I can make it to the next event! :)

For those that do go, let us know how it went!
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:13 PM

I will :). I'll take scrupulous notes and post them in a new thread. I'll try to make everyone who can't make it feel like they did :D ;)

#18 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:31 PM

Thanks celiac3270! That's very nice of you! B)

It would sure be nice if we could all make it to an event like this... It would be like a
Celiac.com reunion :lol:
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#19 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

I know--wouldn't that be amazing?!

I've only met Kristina (mysuicidalturtle) in person...but I'll meet Molly (flagbabyds) at the conference...that'll make two celiacs from the board :D

#20 dreamhouses

dreamhouses

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:56 PM

Mela, I hope you feel better soon. We will not be defeated by one funky chicken!! Since you are wondering about that chicken you ate: do you know that sometimes chicken has stuff injected into the meat by the processor, like a some sort of salt solution containing who knows what. I was really surprized to read a label in the grocery on some raw chicken saying it had this stuff, - I don't know if that would have gluten in it, but it makes me suspicious, maybe the place you got it used a product like that the second time.
FYI when I had really bad food allergies(in my early 20's) I was helped the most by sublingual drops which trained my body to tolerate stuff by putting tiny doses under the tongue...and interfering with the IGE reaction. Cool stuff. I'm having a few more food allergies now (much later) ... and I'm about to do the Bioset program with my naturopath - which uses accupressure. I'll post on how that goes, but she says its really effective. Keep your chin up. Valerie

#21 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:30 PM

Online registration is extended to Friday, March 25!

There are still openings for celiac disease screening at the Celiac Disease Center Family Screening Fair. Register online at http://www.celiacdis...inereg/home.php

Details about the family screening are below:

Date: Saturday, April 2, 2005

701 West 168th Street,
Hammer Building
4th Floor
New York, NY

Time: 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Criteria:

6 + years of age

You must be on a regular gluten containing diet for at least 60 days before testing

You must have a first or second-degree that has been diagnosed with celiac disease

Because celiac disease is hereditary, family members--particularly first-degree relatives--of people who have been diagnosed should be tested for the disease. About 10 percent of an affected person's first-degree relatives (parents, siblings, or children) will also have the disease. The longer a person goes undiagnosed and untreated, the greater the chance of developing malnutrition and other complications.

YOU MUST REGISTER ONLINE ON OR BEFORE MARCH 25 TO PARTICIPATE. The cost is $25 per person and includes screening, test results, educational sessions and activities as outlined below. Register early--the screening slots will fill quickly!

Everyone attending the fair must register online and pay $25 whether or not they are participating in the blood screening portion of the fair.

An agenda is attached for your review. There is additional information online at www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu

Contact: Cynthia Beckman, Director of Development, Celiac Disease Center

Email: cb2280@columbia.edu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: