25 replies to this topic

#16 kabowman

kabowman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:06 PM

I have been tested for just about everything and it all came back negative (of course that was after I was gluten-free too). Anyway, my doc finally suggested a food diary that also includes all symptoms.

I created an area to show when/if I was running a fever, joint pain, stomach problems, you name it and that helped the most. The bad part is, I did it for 4 full weeks and when I was summarizing the info for the doc, that is when I realized that a lot of my pain has diminshed. Pain I have had for 13+ years.

I discovered that after I eliminated gluten, lactose/casein, soy, garbonzo, corn, yeast, etc...the list goes on that almost all my joint pain is gone, almost all my tiredness is gone, most of my stomach issues are gone, fever gone, etc.

I watch my vitamins and meds closely. I eat out carefuly. I clean the kitchen non-stop, etc.

I have checked with my PCP, allegist, Gasto guy, and they all say that minus the testing, this way works best and great that I found all these intolerances out. I enjoy simple things and learning to fix alternative foods. I started last July...good luck.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_michneva_*

Guest_michneva_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:55 PM

Just went through some of my stuff...HBA products and found a lotion that is the same type as the perfume i mentioned and it is NOT gluten-free
AS well as the JOHN FRIEDA BRILLIANT BROWNS FINISHING CREME.....both have some wheat crap in it....pretty frustrating to say the least .....

I was reading up on some of the comments on cosmetics...and I am trying to comprise a list for myself...and it is very difficult !

I am trying to consider cost and availability and then I keep reading where people are saying on one hand the product is gluten-free and then someone else says it is not.....very frustrating....

KAITI mentioned Bare Escentuals make-up which I would LOVE to try but it may not be cost -effective enough for now...and then also there is how i honestly don't want to wait and go make-up less for a week....and I am frustrated that some of the make-up products I have a just bought a couple of weeks ago....and it was at a dept. store so it was a planned out purchase...blah blah blah...well, I'll live....speaking of which that is the whole point of all of this so I'll shut up now !!!!

TTYL
-erica

#18 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:55 PM

There are some covergirl,maybelline, and neutrogena products that are gluten free as well. I know bare escentuals is on the high side price wise. Hope you find what you are looking for :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#19 Guest_michneva_*

Guest_michneva_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:22 AM

Okay so here are some switches I made so please people tell me what you think...I know that some of the stuff I got rid of could have been "potentially safe," but something is definitely irritating the crap out of me and so I replaced what I found to be "suspicious."

John Frieda hair products TO Garnier Fructise shampoo and conditioner

Suave body lotion with aloe TO Lubridern sensitive skin body lotion

L'Oreal balancing face wash and toner TO Nutrogena Bar soap

Origin's moisterizer in Have A nice day and thier Night-a -mins TO Nutrogena sensitive skin moisterizer

Origin's balancing foundation in Angel TO Cover Girl's Aqua-smooth in Creamy
Natural (but this has vitamin e and I do not know if that means it is pure vitamin e or
if it has wheat as I heard sometimes vitamin e noted in skin care can .....????)

Origin's sheer powder out ( new foundation is liquid to powder anyway)

Origin's lip gloss TO Cover Girl CG smoothers lipstick

Origin's eye shadow duo TO Cover Girl eye enhancers quartet

L'Oreal volluminous mascara TO Cover Girl remarkable in black/brown

and Cover Girl Fresh Look Concealer

--I saved the Origin's stuff for now maybe I will still contact them and see what comes of it...but the other stuff I was about to buy new stuff anyway since I was nearly out....and in the mean while I will see how my head and face feel....

Oh, and I still am going to plan ahead for ordering Bare Essentials in the future perhaps....

Let me know what you think please :-)

BY the way for those who suggested that I keep not of my dairy intake I noticed that when I overdo it with dairy ....meaning like within a week I have yogurts, milk, ice cream, and cheese often then by the end of the week I feel kind of "off" like I have sinus issues and some kind of chunky cough ( yum...heh-heh...sorry people...)
So, I have eased off of the dairy...and gone back to my usual of soy milk and other than that having gluten-free ice Cream product once in awhile only.

Gotta go to work now....oh, by the way I am a preshool teacher (AGH!!!!) Yeah, and I am wondering if I should probably wear gloves when we do art projects and when I prepare their snacks and lunches....probably healthier for them anyway when it comes to touching their food....but I was thinking of cross-contamination as well...I can almost already hear the unanimous YES so I will do that today anyway to be safe.
TTYL!
-erica

#20 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:29 AM

Michneva-All of cover girl is not gluten free you have to contact them. I received an email from them that said if it is directly added they will put it on the label but they said they purchase their scents for fragranced products from many suppliers and that there could be traces. I have 1 covergirl lipstick that I got an ok on but I would definately check to make sure your products are ok.Continous color by covergirl I know is gluten free that's what I have but anything else you have I would check. Vitamin E...I would def. check with the manufacturer. I was using some lip balm a while ago and I was having a reaction and I couldn't figure out what it was from. It turns out the vitamin E in it was derived from wheat so I would be very careful with that.

All of Burts Bees lip shimmers,lipsticks, and lipliners are gluten-free.
Dove will not hide anything you may want to try them.

I have a neutogena list and did not see some of the products on there. I would contact them for a list. There are moisturizers and soaps on the list and I didn't look over it thoroughly so it could very well be on there. I know some sensitive skin products on on the list but I did not see that moisturizer.
So even if that product is not gluten free there are alot of neutrogena products that are :D Good luck and hang in there it gets easier
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#21 lshaffer1

lshaffer1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:44 AM

michneva,

I, like you, am guessing at this intolerance. For the last 10 years I have had constant diarreah, fatique, depression and a general feeling of malnutrition. It was only when I read an article in Today's Woman magazine about wheat intolerance that I changed my diet. I AM AMAZED! I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and my dirreah is not as bad as it ussually is.

I have read the message board and see that many folks have worse symptoms than I do...but I am convinced that this is a problem for me. I do not have insurance...so will continue on with this diet. I have added flaxseed meal (gluten free) and a lot of fruit and nuts.

Fortunately, I do not eat many prepackaged meals...because they upset my stomach so bad. I had no idea why! I just avoided them. The added fiber in the fruit seems to be something my previous diet was missing. I thought pasta had fiber! I thought I had too much fiber! So I would eat more pasta! More diarrhea. Then I tried the all wheat pasta...boy that did NOT help the problem.

I have been so confused...this makes sense to me. I appreciate reading the messages that you more experienced folks post...thank you!

Linda

#22 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:25 PM

michneva-If you go to the product section I posted a list of neutrogena products that are gluten free...if you like that brand you might be able to find something on the list you like.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#23 Guest_michneva_*

Guest_michneva_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:23 AM

Thanks KAITI I'll check!

#24 Guest_michneva_*

Guest_michneva_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:27 AM

I have the Neutrogena list and my moisterizer and facial bar are on it (phew!)
I emailed Origins and Cover Girl...so hopefully I will hear back soon...
AND YOU CAN BE SURE THAT PUPPY WILL BE BLASTED ALL OVER THIS SIGHT!!!

By the way all that scary aching that I started this thread with is G-O-N-E ....that's right people! Gooooooooooooone!
hehehehehhehehehhhahhahahahhahhahhhahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA.....sorry, just giddy to be alive agian...ankle is still giving me a little trouble...but it may be from a previous injury...
I am on vitamins finally and so psyched that I have not had to go to ONE specialty store yet in the past two weeks...seeing as I am ARMED AND DANGEROUS with my mainstream list...( yes, I walked into the grocery store like I was all BAAAAD...)

Seriously though....as you know a long way to go...new battle of HBA products and sloppily buying stuff when not fully informed and wasting money....grrr.....
Working out the kinks i guess...

Wore gloves at my preschool job during meal times and some co-workers sneered ( playfully of course,) and did I feel like the freak extremeist ...slightly, but I think that knowing that I am serving all kinds of gluten crap for two snacks and their lunches and I am lucky if in between I can sit to eat let alone to clear the whole area, wash hands, and then never have to touch thier stuff again...so gloves it is...and it is more sanitary anyway...

Still wish I knew of a local doctor or nurtitionist who understood and could help me.....
Well, such is the gluten free life (sigh).....until further adventures....this is me signing off......have a nice day people
-erica

#25 Guest_michneva_*

Guest_michneva_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:33 AM

RESPONSE FROM ORIGINS AND OTHER ESTEE' LAUDER INC. LINES....

Thank you for contacting us regarding the ingredients in our products
that
might be unsuitable for you to use because of your specific condition.

We are attaching a list of grain-derived ingredients, found on our
labels,
which will be helpful in providing you direction. This information
covers
products marketed under the following trademarks: Estée Lauder, Inc.;
Clinique Laboratories, Inc.; Aramis, Inc.; Origins Natural Resources,
Inc.;
Bobbi Brown essentials; Tommy Hilfiger Toiletries, MAC, Stila, and
Prescriptives, Inc.

Consumers will find ingredient listings on our primary packaging
material,
in accordance with FDA regulations, using names which are standard
throughout the cosmetic and fragrance industry. Because of the vast
number
of raw materials from different sources, it is not possible to
guarantee
that our products are completely free of any of the grains specified.
The
denatured ethyl alcohol in our products is produced synthetically, with
the
exception of the denatured ethyl alcohol in MAC products, which is
derived
from corn.

We trust that this information is helpful to you and are glad to have
been
of assistance.

Sincerely,

Leigh Wyshosky
Global Consumer Communications

SOY-DERIVED INGREDIENTS
GLYCINE SOJA
HYDROGENATED LECITHIN
LECITHIN
MIXED SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS
SOYBEAN EXTRACT
SOYBEAN STEROL
HYDROLIZED SOY PROTEIN
SOYBEAN OIL
PEG-5 SOYA STEROL
PEG-25 SOYA STEROL
PEG-10 SOYA STEROL
PEG-16 SOYA STEROL
SOY PHOSPHOLIPIDS
SOYBEAN STEROL ISOSTEARATE

BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS
HORDEUM VULGARE

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS
TRITICUM VULGARE
WHEAT SPHINGOLIPIDS
WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT
WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES
HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN
WHEAT PROTEIN
HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH
WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT

OAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS
AVENA SATIVA
PROLAMINE
OAT FLOUR
OAT EXTRACT
BETA GLUCAN
SODIUM LAUROYL OAT AMINO ACIDS
OAT BETA GLUCAN

CORN DERIVED INGREDIENTS
ZEA MAYS
CORN STARCH
CORN OIL
CORN FLOUR
CORN STARCH MODIFIED
ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE

YEAST DERIVED INGREDIENTS
SACCHAROMYCES

RICE DERIVED INGREDIENTS
ORYZA SATIVA
ORYZANOL
RICE BRAN
RICE STARCH

MILLET DERIVED INGREDIENTS
PANICUM MILIACEUM

RYE DERIVED INGREDIENTS
NONE :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

#26 Guest_michneva_*

Guest_michneva_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:35 AM

RESPONSE FROM COVER GIRL:

Summary
---------------------------------------------------------------
Requesting a list of products for people with gluten intolerance (
intoleranc...

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Ali) - 03/04/2005 10:53 AM
Hi Erica,

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear
information regarding the use of our beauty care products. If wheat and/or
gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these ingredients
won't be listed on our packages. Like many companies, we often purchase
the scents for fragranced products from outside suppliers, and the
components of these substances are proprietary information belonging to those
companies. Therefore it's possible that a very small amount (generally
parts per million) of gluten may be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very
unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a trace
amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair. This is because
wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause symptoms when they're
ingested. Since our beauty care products are designed to be used
externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an issue for someone with
this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if you
consulted with your physician about the use of all types of consumable
goods, if you haven't already. You might even consider using one of
our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or wheat extracts on
the label.