4 replies to this topic

#1 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

Well, since a few weeks there's a question that bothers me (especially after visiting germany and my german team). I thought, how cool it would be, when my german team could visit us in their summer vacation. And since there are 2 people in our team with celiac (one of my students and myself) we could offer a vacation for celiac people also.

I already talked with my boss at the one YMCA about it (i instruct at several YMCA's) and she was excited. In fact, she asked me first at the very same moment I wanted to ask her. Funny, eh? So now we made an appointment next tuesday at 10.30 am about how we're going to plan everything. When I was home, it popped into my head, that it would be awesome to integrate the celiac people in there. I mean, if we have to get food for two people, why not for 10 or so???

And I think, this wouldn't be a bad idea, to bring the celiacs and the healthy people together, since the awareness would grow a great deal among people who don't know, what celiac disease is. Or maybe they know, but they are not aware how many restrictions we have with it.

So this will be more like a training and stay healthy camp...lol. We train kickboxing and/or musical forms/acrobatic kicks. Don't worry, it's semicontact. I already saw 3 and 70 year olds do that. You must know, with semicontact you can make your own pace very good. And it will be focused on every level: beginner, advanced and pros. But you could probably also do simple stuff like aerobic or so in the YMCA itself or go totally without sport and do more sightseeing. If you have a YMCA AWAY membership card (the letters AWAY on the backside of your membership card) you can take these classes for free or you can pay visitor fee for one day also. I just wanted to mention it, because you could make a vacation and eat glutenfree without much problems also. And we try to do fun stuff, like go on the climbing tower or visit Hershey park or so.

So if you have any questions or regards, post them on here and I will ask my boss tuesday.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:02 PM

Steff-
YMCA does gluten free camps for kids through the GIG (gluten intollerance group). You might want to try to contact that "camp" to see how they do things and how they got set up. I know they have been doing it for a while now.

-Jessica
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

That's awesome :lol: . I didn't know that. Do you know by chance with which one of all these YMCA's this camp were? I could ask them for more informations and advices about how they did it.

Thanks for the information.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
Shermans Dale, PA

#4 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

the info can be found here: http://www.gluten.net/events.html

The camp seems to be held June 12-18, 2005
GIG Kids Camp East
at Camp Kanata, NC. Their website is : http://www.ymcatrian...amp_Kanata.aspx

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#5 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

I wrote a letter to the Harrisburg GIG now and hopefully they have some good advices. Would be awesome :lol: . I let you know how it's working out.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
Shermans Dale, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: