This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie..need Help With Bread Please

Mandy2

Mandy2 Newbie

Hi everyone. My hubby was diagnosed with celiac and I am going to be tested soon too (since i have stomach problems). I bought a few gluten-free breads and they were soooo bad (Brown rice bread and Glutino harvest corn). Can I please have some recommendations for the best breads out there. I am near a Whole Foods and can get to Trader Joes on the weekend. I also am planning on going to Joans in Long Island (even though its expensive). I just want him to be able to have a sandwich without it tasting like cardboard or it crumbiling in a million pieces.

Thanks!

Mandy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Gluten free bread can be so gross! You really have to experiment and try several different brands. I like Kinnikinnik brand white bread. It doesn't crumble as much. I toast it and that seems to help it hold its shape a little better.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I haven't found a already made bread that I like. I spent too much money on bread that I threw away because I couldn't force myself to eat it, and no one else in my family would either. Now I make the Bob's Red Mill bread mix from time to time. I make it in muffin tins to make buns and that is pretty good. Even my non celiac daughter likes them.

jlove17 Newbie

I have never bought bread and enjoyed it...I think you HAVE to make it. The Gluten Free Pantry Sandwich Bead Mix isn't bad if you have time to make bread...and Bob's is good too. I'm thinking of getting a bread maker because these are so many better.

Also, there is a store called "Great Harvest Bread Co." that has AMAZING bread, but it's in Evanston Illinois....I don't know if there are any anywhere else.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

The best Gluten Free Bread I have had is home made bread yummm. I always toast it. For some reason, not sure gluten free bread cools quickly so you are toasting it to get a little crunch and its like it brings out the real bread taste.

The bread that I make the most is the Gluten Free Pantry White Sandwich bread... couple minutes to make then 30-40 minutes to rise then another 30 so minutes in the oven. Let it cool then cut it up (bread knife) and let it cool the rest of the way then freeze it.

I tried a couple store breads in the beginning, but they were really bad. If you have time, get a mix and make it at home :D As soon as my current loaf is done, I am going to try to make my own bread from one of my easier cookbooks.

GOOD LUCK!

RiceGuy Collaborator

I agree, the best gluten-free breads are those you make yourself. As you try different ones, be they ready-made, mixes, or from scratch, you might end up with stuff which nobody wants to eat. If that happens, you can toast it and make gluten-free bread crumbs for meatloaf, stuffing, etc. It may also work for French toast, mini pizzas, grilled cheese sandwiches, croutons, or whatever. That way you won't have to toss it out, wasting money.

dbmamaz Explorer

If you want to try baking - just be patient! I was an avid baker for my whole life (i'm 43) and my first dozen bread attemps (well, at least half dozen) were totaly flops. I finally have had success with the sandwhich bread recipe in Annalise Robert's book, 'Gluten Free Baking Classics'. I did buy a thermometer, and at first, a smaller bread pan. Now i'm using the bread-man machine with the gluten-free cycle. I cant eat the bread because i'm allergic to yeast, but my son loves it - he makes cinnamon toast w it all the time as a treat - must be good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

My favorite is The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread :) It's pretty simple to make....I mix it up in my stand mixer and bake it in the oven although there is a bread machine recipe on the box.

It smells fantastic when baking and is good toasted and even for sandwiches.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I tried several recipes from scratch and several mixes . . . all of them were MUCH better than the store bought loaves. I settled on Pamela's wheat free/gluten free mix and make it in a bread maker . . . it's extremely easy. If you find a mix that you like, check out places like Amazon and buy in bulk. I buy six mixes at a time and I also use their subscribe & save program (like placing a standing order but you can easily adjust your schedule or cancel all together) so I get an extra 15% off and free shipping. My Pamela's mix costs me about $3.30 instead of $5.70 from Whole Foods. We use this mix for bread, rolls, pizza crust, and cinnamon rolls.

Also . . . Great Harvest Bread Company is awesome (based on our pre-gluten-free days). They are a franchise and bake all their breads/cookies/etc on site. Not all locations make the gluten free bread and I have no idea what they do to prevent cross contamination because the majority of the time, they are making gluten items.

mindwiped Rookie

My local Great Harvest does the gluten-free baking (Kansas City Metro) They say that they put away all the gluten items and clean EVERYTHING before they bake gluten-free. They use separate pans and paddles and spoons. DH hasn't had any issues with their gluten-free baking. However, their 'scones' flatten out so much that I think they're cookies, dh eats them up, so they still must taste fine

• 1 month later...
DMarie Apprentice

dbmamaz,

I have Annaliese Roberts book and also like her bread recipes (actually, I have only made her basic bread, I like it with the buttermilk). However, mine keeps falling in the middle when I removed it from the oven. The first time, I only had the rapid rise yeast (which she says not to use). So that explained that time. The second time, I used all the ingredients she recommended. Still fell some.

A couple of days ago, I did not have buttermilk, so used the buttermilk power and water directions. The dough took a little longer to rise than usual, but looked great in the oven. Needless to say, when I removed it, it still sunk some in the middle. Not as much as the other loaves...but still sunken.

Any tips? I am wondering about decreasing the amount of liquid I use next time - but am sort of frustrated with it.

Thanks,

Dawn

ps...I highly recommend this book! Love the cake recipes!!! The yellow and chocolate layer cakes are fantastic!!! So moist, non-gluten-free family members said they would have never know it was gluten-free. Also have really enjoyed the pumpkin muffin recipe. Pie crust came out well also.

purple Community Regular

Can't help you with the store bought or the mixes. My dd bought a $5 loaf of gross bread so I never did buy any. I don't have a gluten-free bread machine nor a stand mixer. Gee even my big oven is broken. BUT...I love this bread and it's easy. It tastes like homemade gluten white bread.

Foccacia

Open Original Shared Link

also posted here with my experience with it:

It's not a loaf, it doesn't crumble apart, I made eggless french toast sticks with it that taste great, it is not made with rice flour, its good the next couple of days without toasting it, its good PLAIN, try it once... ;)

Egg free French Toast (in case someone is interested)

next time I will make it with maple syrup...mmm

Oli Rookie

Mandy,

I can't tell you how many loafs I punted out the door. . I simply refuse to pay $7 a loaf for cardboard tasting bread. I was so fed up I tried making my own. I tried Pamela's and it's good and easy to make quickly. It lasts only 24 hrs in my house. I make other breads (from scratch) from Carol Fenster's books. I have almost every one of them. She has REAL FOOD for grown ups. Her breads are easy enough to do and taste like BREAD! My only suggestion is to measure accurately and get a hand sifter to get great results. Now I have a bread maker. It is an old one but does the trick. I love just putting the ingredients in and turning it on and walking away knowing that in a few glorious hours I will have bread. My neighbors tell me they get so jealous that I bake bread. They love it wafting into their noses.

Living Without magazine had some wonderful breads in them also. I think it was the spring Issue of 2006 where you could make hamburger buns, pizza and all kinds of things. If you can get a back issue that would be great. This is a fantastic magazine. I make things from it all the time. It is worth the money you pay for it.

I was reading one of the bloggs and one someone mentioned having their loafs sink. That happened to me with Betty Haggman's book on Breads. They look so delicious on the cover. I couldn't wait to get started. I live in San Diego and I could never get the bread right. I had the same problems. I think it could be the altitude or the oven. I had to turn mine up 25 degrees to get it..better...not right. Then it started to burn since it wasn't cooking inside the loaf. I was just about to give up when I found Carol Fenster's book and I haven't had a problem since. If you get a bread maker you will never regret it.'

One last thing. When the bread comes out you will want to eat it right away. I understand. However, with gluten free bread, wait until it is completely cooled before cutting with a serrated knife. Slice the entire loaf saving the ends of the bread for crutons for the holidays. Put in freezer bags and freeze. Put waxed or parchment paper between the rest of the sliced bread and freeze. Have one in the freezer and one ready to eat.

• 2 months later...
Shell156 Apprentice

I use Annalise Robert's recipes too and I ALWAYS had problems with it falling. However after some research I realized the humidity from the air was getting into my bread (I live in Vancouver, BC). I add a couple tablespoons more of flour than she calls for in the recipe. I also have made the focaccia bread and added 1 and a half teaspoons of gelatin and it was great!

I don't know what would happen if you add extra gelatin to the sandwich bread because I realized awhile ago I like the taste of the focaccia better and it is easier to make.

I just realized while I was writing this that mine was falling while it was IN the oven and I think you said yours was falling AFTER you take it out. Could it be that you're oven is not callibrated correctly and thus your bread is coming out before it's completely cooked?

My favorite bread to buy is from smaller bakeries like Panne Rizo or Montaintop (both only in Vancouver BC). I also really like Choices' brown rice bread but again, it's only available in BC. Do you have smaller gluten-free bakeries in your area? I find those are best since they are made on-site and locally, so they don't need so many preservatives.

cupid Newbie

Hi, Schar gluten-free white bread is good and I love Sue's Gluten Free Products white bread which tastes as well as looks like like home made.

• 1 year later...
Ashlin's Mama Newbie

Mine always fell in the middle too - followed directions to a 'T'. Added a third egg - it looks perfect. Now I'm experimenting with a different flour. Sorghum's aftertaste is too much for me, but at least the consistency is correct. Good luck!

Loucinda

MelindaLee Contributor

I like Udi's, and if you go to their web site, there is a $1.00 coupon. I really like the Schar's rolls I have gotten, but have yet to find their bread in the store. I found a recipe for Bob's Red Mill bread on one of their label's (not the bread mix, but a flour) that has been my favorite by far (it included powdered milk). I tried Namaste's bread mix, and HATED it. I haven't tried Great Harvest, but heard it's good. We have The Breadsmith here...tried there's, it was AWEFUL, I actually threw the loaf (usually I just suffer through)! I am relatively new, so I am still experimenting :D

Edited to include the site: Open Original Shared Link

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I don't have the will to bake my own bread, so I rely on store-bought brands. I have tried the Glutino Corn (not great), Energy something (couldn't eat it because each slice crumbled when I tried to take them out of the package), Rudi bread (good), Udi (good, but lots of huge air holes and little slices) and Katz Gluten Free Challah (The absolutely best).

Katz has a wonderful product. Unfortunately it isn't sold in the Dallas area so I order it online. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor and a wonderful texture. I have spoken to the managers of my local stores trying to convince them to stock the Katz bread, but apparently Udi has taken the position of lead vendor in many markets. Too bad...

Archived