#1 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:35 AM

I found this on the internet - http://www.selectcom...n.com/index.php

I ran to my bed and unzipped it and there's BLACK MOLD everywhere!!! Purchasing this bed coincides with my health decline!!!
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

Oh my gosh, Carla! That's horrible. This must have so much to do with your ongoing issues. :(

Several years ago, my parents bought one of those beds, but thank goodness it mal-functioned and they returned it and bought something else.

Keep us posted.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

OMG...you must be horrified!! I know I would be. Get a lawyer or contact the law suit....geez.....you poor thing. Guess you are bed shopping today.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

Thanks, yeah, bed shopping for sure! In the meantime I think I'll sleep on my grandmother's old down filled couch we had reupholstered two years ago. ;)

I've left a message for the lawyers for the class action suit.
gluten-free 12/05

#5 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:59 AM

OMG Carla thats shocking! Bed shop ASAP!!!! That's just terrible....I hope your health will be ok :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

Wow Carla . . . That's both amazing and disgusting. I wouldn't be able to get it out of my house fast enough if I were you.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

Wow Carla . . . That's both amazing and disgusting. I wouldn't be able to get it out of my house fast enough if I were you.

I came back to say the same thing--I don't think it's enought that you don't sleep on it, I'd get it the heck out of the house. This is just awful.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

Well, THAT explains a lot of your health issues, doesn't it????!!! :ph34r:

Can you rent a storage space and put the moldy bed there, so that you have it for proof, but it's not in your house making you sicker? I'm betting that their lawyer will get a lot of cases thrown out because people will have gotten rid of the beds--and the proof. Don't let them get away with it!!!

And even with it out of the house, would it be a good idea to call in a mold remediator (how the heck is that spelled, anyway?)?

#9 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

For a couple hundred they can come in and test your air for mold spores. And then help you get rid of it....it isnt cheap. But if you could at least afford to test....then you would know if you need to move or treat. Hopefully it was confined to the bed itself and your air will be o.k.. It isnt worth playing with mold. Unfortunately people can get very sick and even die if they stay in a mold saturated home. I live in FL and there are cases all of the time.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#10 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

I found this on the internet - http://www.selectcom...n.com/index.php

I ran to my bed and unzipped it and there's BLACK MOLD everywhere!!! Purchasing this bed coincides with my health decline!!!

OMG Carla, It makes sense with all your symptoms. Black mold is serious! Its horrible. Get that out of your house and get professional cleaners and run a air purifier for a week straight before you go into that room.

Yuck <<<<shudder>>>>>

So glad you found it.
Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#11 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am talking to a lawyer from the class action suit today. I live in an old house with a detached garage ... but even still, I think I'll take it to my husband's office that also has a detached garage. I have always had an air purifier in my room, so that's done. I'm looking into what else we need to do. I'm also looking into how to get medical testing for mold for "proof."
gluten-free 12/05

#12 April in KC

April in KC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Oh, that's awful. I hope in one sense it might be good - if you've found a cause, maybe you can get better. What types of symptoms have you been having? Is there a thread I should read? Ugh, ugh, ugh. You'll probably have nightmares. Hopefully not.

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:08 AM

I hope once you get this out of the house and in to storage that the issues from it pass quickly. I am so glad you found that article and discovered this. I also hope that it was contained to the mattress. I agree you should have someone come in and check the rest of the home. Do keep track of everything so that your lawyers can address the issue. One thing to keep in mind is that if there has been serious damage you may not want to join the class action suit. You may want to make a seperate suit yourself against them. With a class action suit the split the 'fine' amongst all the participants. If you have substantial damage check with your lawyer and see and if you will fare better filing a suit on just your behalf rather than joining the class action.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:07 AM

How awful for you, Carla. I hope now that it's out of the house you will see dramatic improvement in your health.

We also have one of these beds. After reading your post and the link I hurried to unzip our bed. Whehw! No mold. [BIG sigh of relief!]. We bought ours just before they changed the name from Select Comfort to Sleep Number, but it was still within the timeframe mentioned in the lawyer's article. So I guess not all of them have a mold problem.

Did any of the links say what the cause of the mold contamination was?
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#15 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

That is what I want to know? How did the mold spores get there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: