This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sleep Number Bed = Toxic Mold

CarlaB

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Yeah, I have a regular type mattress....but I unzipped my dust protective cover and looked under just to be sure. This thread gave me the creeps. :huh:

Me too. Lately I've been getting this feeling like even though I'm breathing fine the oxygen isn't getting in, very uncomfortable. I guess you could call that 'air hunger'. I have an old mattress and I'm worried there may be mold inside, we're on the search for a new one. I'm not gonna rip it open, that would probably make it worse if there is a problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShayFL Enthusiast

I recommend getting a protective dust/allergen cover for the new mattress. It has kept mine looking, feeling and smelling fresh and new. I replace the dust cover every couple of years as it does wear out.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Please, everyone, if you have a sleep number bed with mold, contact those attorneys at the link on the beginning of this thread. Sleep number of course says this is not a widespread problem (then why did they make changes :blink: ).

You CAN get your bed replaced and still be part of the class action, just don't sign anything saying you won't be.

purple Community Regular
Yeah, I have a regular type mattress....but I unzipped my dust protective cover and looked under just to be sure. This thread gave me the creeps. :huh:

Great idea...I was thinking...what about children's and babies mattresses? They slobber and drool and have leaky diapers and spilled things, etc. They could have mold too. :o

JeffSC Newbie

Hello! My name is Jeff and I am a member of Select Comfort's online customer response team. We surf the blogosphere to hear what our customers have to say about our beds, and to provide assistance and information when we can. I am very sorry to hear about the issue you experienced with your Sleep Number bed. I would like to first provide some information for you, and also help you in resolving the issue.

If any customer has an issue with mold, we will do everything possible to remedy the situation, including replacing components of the bed, replacing the entire bed or providing a full refund. All at NO COST to the customer. If you have an issue or questions, please contact Select Comfort Customer Care at (800) 472-7185 and we would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have. Our customer service agents will work with you to immediately address the situation.

All key components of the Sleep Number bed – including foam, air chambers and fabrics – are treated with a tailor-made antimicrobial agent to deter the growth of mold, mildew and bacteria. For several years, Select Comfort has worked diligently with Sanitized AG, a global leader in developing antimicrobial agents, to create tailor-made treatments for components of the Sleep Number bed. In 2005, Select Comfort enhanced its antimicrobial treatment and, according to our data, there have been 0 confirmed cases of mold in Sleep Number beds sold after this enhancement was introduced.

A few other things it’s important you know is that mold growth in beds is a rare occurrence, and it can occur in ANY mattress or upholstered furniture. Select Comfort does not have a problem with mold. There is no evidence that mold occurs more frequently in a Sleep Number bed than other mattresses and upholstered products.

Jeff

I'm a 55!

home-based-mom Contributor

Thank you for coming to post in our forum. Unfortunately for you, your comments would have a lot more credibility had your company chosen to recall the beds when the problem was first discovered, rather than having you surf the internet frantically trying to do damage control.

Most businesses who choose not to recall a defective product make that choice hoping not to get "caught." A recall is expensive and if a business can quietly fix the problem maybe no one will discover that their item is only one of many defective items, and that the manufacturer hoped no one would find out and the whole issue would quietly "go away." Such an unethical choice is only cost effective if no one finds out. Once the problem becomes known it is not uncommon for class-action lawsuits to be filed. You are finding this out the hard way.

Because the beds were not recalled when the problem was discovered, people's health was damaged unnecessarily.

I don't have one of these beds, but if I did and I was considering becoming a party of the lawsuit, there is no way I would jeopardize my position by contacting your customer service department at this time.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Nice post home_based_mom!!!!!

On the one hand he says that any bed can have this happen. On the other hand, why are they so eager to remedy this problem any bed can have? Why did they enhance the microbial treatment in 2005 if there was no mold problem in earlier models?

Plus, why are they searching the internet???? Are they worried?

Mold growth in beds is probably rare, but about half the people I've talked to with Select Comfort beds older than 2005 have had mold. Guess it's not so rare in their older models.

If I get my money back, I'll let you guys know. I wonder about the expensive down filled comforter, feather bed, and throw pillows I had to throw away. Will they cover that expense, too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Im guessing not Carla.

Yeah, I found that post pathetic. The beds should have been recalled. How lame to go surfing the net for blogs with information about their defective beds and posting in a way that says we did nothing wrong, but we will make it right.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm guessing not, too, but they should. That was expensive bedding. I washed the sheets in hot water, but the other stuff I had to get rid of. You can't get mold spores out of down.

jerseyangel Proficient
Thank you for coming to post in our forum. Unfortunately for you, your comments would have a lot more credibility had your company chosen to recall the beds when the problem was first discovered, rather than having you surf the internet frantically trying to do damage control.

My thoughts exactly. Pathetic indeed....nice try, though. <_<

lovegrov Collaborator

I know there's a connection here in that somebody with celiac thinks they've found the cause of continuing health problems, but I really question whether we want to be promoting/debating a class-action lawsuit about a mattress and mold. It sounds like there could be a true problem with these mattresses, but lawyers who make a living off class-action lawsuits aren't always the best, either.

richard

CarlaB Enthusiast

My intention was not to promote or debate ... sorry if it got off track ... my intention was to let other people know about the mold issue. I'm glad I did as it seems several others have found out because of this post. :)

mftnchn Explorer

I think the post is important because due to our autoimmune problems and compromised immune systems, many of us struggle with allergies (to mold and many other things).

It is wonderful that many here get totally well on just gluten-free approaches but unfortunately there are many more of us who have other issues along with celiac.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I think the post is important because due to our autoimmune problems and compromised immune systems, many of us struggle with allergies (to mold and many other things).

It is wonderful that many here get totally well on just gluten-free approaches but unfortunately there are many more of us who have other issues along with celiac.

I couldn't agree more.

Congrats to all those who are doing so well on the gluten-free diet alone. As a old member I sure have other issues as well as celiac. Mold is a big one for me as well.

I'm always glad to get information to try to help me heal.

the 'lawsuit' issue is a side issue for me. Heck I don't even have this bed.

Thanks Carla for the post.

Judy

ShayFL Enthusiast

I will add that Carla put this thread in the right spot as well.....Related Disorders & Research.

Consider this Richard. Auto-immune diseases are often triggered by trauma, stress, infection, etc. It is VERY POSSIBLE that one of these beds infested with TOXIC mold triggered someone's Celiac.

So that new Celiac comes in here looking for help because the gluten-free diet isnt working as well as hoped. They find this thread, check their bed and find mold. Get rid of the bed and get better.

How on earth could you deny someone (even one person) the opportunity to get well?

Celiac or no........

I didnt consider this thread a promotion nor a debate. I considered it to be posted by someone who not only wants to help herself, but genuinely cares about other human beings.

mamaw Community Regular

Hello

I'm with Carla on this one. We are one big extended family here so when something becomes a problem or an issue I'm grateful that it is brought out here. Knowledge is power! I too, have many other health issues besides being gluten-free.

Celiaca helping celiacs. Love that motto....

Many do not get 100% better on the gluten-free diet & again other issues come into play. I think Carla has done us all a favor by sharing with us what has happened with herself.

Thanks Carla.

blessings

mamaw

jerseyangel Proficient

Mamaw makes a very good point--since the company did not notify customers or recall the beds, the only way to get the word out to people is through word of mouth. Thank goodness Carla found out so she can take steps to heal-- how many others out there are still sleeping on an affected bed night after night?

JeffSC Newbie

Thanks for the feedback and questions around the Sleep Number bed. As a member of Select Comfort

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you for the information, Jeff. I am still horrified you guys STILL haven't notified customers of this problem.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Maybe they have a "dont ask" and "dont tell" policy. :(

hawaiimama Apprentice

This is SO scary! I hope you feel better with the new bed.

This thread is giving me the impetus to rip out my much hated carpet for very similar reasons.

debmidge Rising Star
Nice post home_based_mom!!!!!

On the one hand he says that any bed can have this happen. On the other hand, why are they so eager to remedy this problem any bed can have? Why did they enhance the microbial treatment in 2005 if there was no mold problem in earlier models?

Plus, why are they searching the internet???? Are they worried?

Mold growth in beds is probably rare, but about half the people I've talked to with Select Comfort beds older than 2005 have had mold. Guess it's not so rare in their older models.

If I get my money back, I'll let you guys know. I wonder about the expensive down filled comforter, feather bed, and throw pillows I had to throw away. Will they cover that expense, too?

Just an aside, but "down" can get moldy too as it's organic matter and can hold moisture. I know as I am allergic to feathers (down) as well as wool (which is used in some regular mattresses).

CarlaB Enthusiast
Just an aside, but "down" can get moldy too as it's organic matter and can hold moisture. I know as I am allergic to feathers (down) as well as wool (which is used in some regular mattresses).

Good point Deb. I had to throw away my down comforter when I found out the bed was filled with mold.

• 1 month later...
Darn210 Enthusiast

Carla, I was serving my daughter her first gluten-free donut this morning (the whole thing :lol::lol: ) and it made me think of you :rolleyes: Just wondering if you've seen big health improvements since your moldy bed is gone and now that it's been a couple of months.

Archived