Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Finger Paints

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if finger paints are safe. And if not are there any that are?

Thanks

Ads by Google:

No not all are. Since wheat is 'nontoxic' it is in a lot of kids art supplies. You could check with the maker or if you have some on hand reply and give a brand and hopefully someone will know for sure about it.

Does anyone know if finger paints are safe. And if not are there any that are?

Thanks

Elmer's (the glue company) has a lot of gluten-free products, but their finger paints are definitely not gluten-free. I recently contacted them, so I can tell you for sure, their finger paints are not gluten-free. I believe these finger paints are sold under a brand name called, "Ross", but they're actually manufactured by Elmer's.

On the flip side, because of my daughter's gluten-free status, my day care used to do something neat for finger paints. They mixed gluten-free acrylic paint with gluten-free foam shaving cream, to create a foamy finger paint. I can't remember which acrylic paint they were using, but it might have been Crayola. You can probably find out more on the Crayola web site. They were using Colgate shaving cream, which I believe is still gluten-free (but it wouldn't hurt to look into that too).

As with Play Dough, finger paints get under the fingernails, so even though the medical community tells us it's fine to have gluten touch the skin, with little kids, keeping fingers gluten-free is so important!

thank you, i wanted to check before I gave his teacher green flag, i will check today when we go into which brand and call the company. Thanks again