9 replies to this topic

#1 mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Hi everyone. I apologize if this has been talked about, I'm sure it has but I did a search and all I found was a thread talking about sulfites making some people sick.

I need to know of a common brand of gluten free red wine that could be picked up at any average american drugstore such as wallgreens or rite aid. I'm not much of a drinker and know nothing about wine, so I don't know what brands are gluten free, if any, or are they all? I would think they all would be but I've learned on this journey never to assume. As I said I'm not much of a drinker but I might like to try a little wine sometime soon so I figure I should start educating myself now before just heading to the store. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

ERR~ Hold yer horses I got something for ya B)

Organic. They use nothing but pure bentonite clay to 'fine' their wines. Still waiting to order some myself.

http://www.freywine.com/freywine/
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

Drinkable wine would not be found at a drug store. I suggest a wine store or your local grocery store.

All wines are gluten free and as sickchick mentioned, organic wines should not have sulfites. Sulfites are not gluten related, though.

For a cool summer drink, you might want to try some 7-up, a healthy splash or red wine and a couple orange slices.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

Good news... found my Frey Wine @ local Kroeger (Fred Meyer up in this neck of the woods) Seattle is full of wine and beer lovers so I lucked out and found about 4 different brands of Organic Wines to choose from!

Bought a bottle of Frey White Table Wine for tonight... will be back with full report! ;) lol

it was 10.49 a bottle :) not too shabby! the cab was 15.49 a bottle- next week :lol:
Collette

NO Carageenan.

#5 hippiegirl2001

hippiegirl2001

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

I buy Well Read Organic Red Wine at Trader Joes (not a drugstore but I thought I'd mention it anyway). I believe it is $5.99 but if not, it is not much more. No sulfites, of course.

#6 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Trader Joe's always has the best wine deals... hands down. :P

Sipping on my glass now- it's not 'dry' and it's not 'sweet' it's quite neutral in flavor. It's nice. I gotta remember to eat something LOL :lol: :ph34r:

lovelove
Collette

NO Carageenan.

#7 mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

Drinkable wine

It doesn't have to be good. It just has to be alcohol. I'm not one of those people who is really into wine for the taste, etc. I drink for a buzz and that's it. lol. I don't really care about sulfites if they aren't related to gluten. If all wines are gluten free then woo hoo is all I have to say! :lol: Thanks!

#8 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

It doesn't have to be good. It just has to be alcohol. I'm not one of those people who is really into wine for the taste, etc. I drink for a buzz and that's it. lol. I don't really care about sulfites if they aren't related to gluten. If all wines are gluten free then woo hoo is all I have to say! :lol: Thanks!

All 'premium' wines should be gluten-free. Judging by posts on this site & stories from folks in the wine industry, some of the lower priced wines *may* have additional additives that *may* cause reactions in some folks. I would guess that if it is plain (not mulled or spiced) wine and comes in a bottle it's almost certainly gluten-free. I have had Trader Joe's wines with no reaction.

If you have other food sensitivities, you may want to pay attention to "fining" ingredients (stuff added to wine to help clarify it, theoretically this settles out and only the clear wine is bottled), or buy wine that says it is "unfined".

If you're looking for a gluten-free alcoholic beverage to unwind with or have with a meal, wine is my first choice! If you are looking for the cheapest gluten-free buzz, wine may not be your first choice - some plain distilled spirits might be cheaper (and I assume by buzz you don't mean binge - if I am wrong and you binge drink to get that buzz you might want to consider a change in behavior).
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#9 mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

lol no I dont binge. I haven't had a drink in maybe 6 months or so? And that was red wine but it was before I was really learning about being gluten free and still was being glutened by random things at the time, so I'm not sure the effect it had on me, you know? I mostly am thinking about having some bottles of wine around because I will be entertaining company coming up in a few weeks here. Thanks again! :D

#10 christian.808

christian.808

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:20 AM

Drinkable wine would not be found at a drug store. I suggest a wine store or your local grocery store.

All wines are gluten free and as sickchick mentioned, organic wines should not have sulfites. Sulfites are not gluten related, though.

For a cool summer drink, you might want to try some 7-up, a healthy splash or red wine and a couple orange slices.

This is so true!
I always get my wine always be a fine online wine merchant from the UK and I never had problems.
Just try it out and you will be satisfied :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: