This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake Or Spice Cake Recipe

valgal123

valgal123 Rookie

I love Gluten Free Pantry's mix for the gingerbread spice cake. Every time i buy it i look at the ingredients and think "gosh, i have all these ingredients at home, i could make this cake a whole lot cheaper". I really want to come up with my own recipe but don't know the right porportions for flour, butter, sugar etc. Can anyone help? Does anyone have a good recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I have a "multi purpose" muffin recipe. It can be:

1. Wheat flour recipe :angry: no-no!

2. gluten-free version

3. dairy free/egg free

4. maple flavored

5. molasses flavored

6. streusel topped

I think you could try it in a pan but I am not sure what size.

I made 1/2 recipe the first time with maple syrup to see if they would turn out gluten-free/df/eggf...so good I made a full recipe the next day with molasses. The recipe is based on one from Taste of Home.

Let me know if you want me to post it/them.

valgal123 Rookie

i would love it if you would post the recipe! Even though i am looking for a recipe without molasses, or maple syrup. Crazy, i know, but the mix that i buy doesn't use any, just brown sugar, so i figured i could do the same. See, what i want to do is to look at the ingredient list on the mix and just try and find the right portions of the ingredients. So for the final product i have my own mix that tastes the same, but is a whole lot cheaper.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
i would love it if you would post the recipe! Even though i am looking for a recipe without molasses, or maple syrup. Crazy, i know, but the mix that i buy doesn't use any, just brown sugar, so i figured i could do the same. See, what i want to do is to look at the ingredient list on the mix and just try and find the right portions of the ingredients. So for the final product i have my own mix that tastes the same, but is a whole lot cheaper.

Hi this my recipe for a spicy fruit loaf, it may not be what you want

but it does shows what is possible to make from 'scratch'.

Open Original Shared Link

You could substitue the Black Strap Molases with a Dark Muscovada sugar and corn syrup.

OR

Extra Demerara Sugar a little really strong tea and Vanilla essence

Good luck with your experimentation, I hope you get the result your looking for.

P.S.

This Convertor Program will help you convert European recipes (Courtesy of Gourmet Sleuth. Com)

from Grams etc to American Cups and spoons.

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

purple Community Regular

Its from Taste of Home and the cook is Elizabeth Talbot.

original recipe (wheat version) :(

Morning Maple Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour :angry:

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 tsps. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup sour cream

1 egg

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping:

3 T. all-purpose flour :angry:

3 T. sugar

2 T. chopped nuts

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

2 T. cold butter or margarine

In large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter, syrup, sour cream, egg and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. For topping, combine the flour, sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 16-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield 16 muffins.

The gluten-free version I tried:

I followed the recipe above adding 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum and using the sorghum flour mix(works great with this recipe). I used egg replacer with a tsp. of ground flax, vegan margarine and almond milk. When I made the molasses muffins, I only used 1/4 cup. I omitted the sour cream both times and they still were good. Baked them about 20 mins. Let cool 5, then removed them to a wire rack. When I bit into them, they looked like they were still wet inside but when they cooled they were fine like a cake. I made 12 muffins. If you use syrup and are dairy free, watch out for butter flavored syrup. Oh, I was out of nuts so I used granola (slightly ground up)in the topping.

I hope this recipe turns out for you! Adjust ingredients to your liking/needs. Enjoy!

purple Community Regular

In the book gluten-free Quick and Easy, Carol Fenster has a recipe.

Ingredients are: oil, egg, molasses, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, buttermilk and a homemade cake mix recipe that has xanthan gum, gluten-free sorghum flour mix, baking soda, salt, and sugar.

Its 3 recipes to get one gingerbread cake. Do you have a copy?

You could add some of her spices to the muffin recipe.

valgal123 Rookie

I don't have any of her books, but i will get it from the library again. Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

This is the recipe I use for spice cake. I love my gingerbread cake recipe, but it has molasses--i'm not sure a gingerbread cake IS a gingerbread cake without molasses :P If you want me to post it anyway, let me know--it also uses Pamela's...

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter

2 eggs

2 cups Pamela's baking mix

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1-1/2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1-1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk

Directions

1. Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour two 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. In a medium bowl stir together Pamela's, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger; set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add Pamelas mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour into prepared pan(s).

3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes for the round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for the 13x9x2-inch pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake layers on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or, place 13x9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting.

4. Makes 12 servings

dkjones2 Newbie

1 cup honey

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup milk free corn- free margarine

1 cup raisins

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

2 1/4Multi Blend Flour (Authentic foods)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat the oven to 325 Greas an 8X4 inch loaf pan

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium sauce pan, bring to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Sift together flour and spices and backing powder. Add to the raisin mixture and beat well. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Makes 8-9 servings

Variations: If tolerated

substitute

equal sugar for honey

equal milk for water

add one egg to the cooled raisin margarine mixture

I also use this Multi blend flour in all receipes I had prior to being diagnosised with Celiac

valgal123 Rookie

Thank you everyone, much appreciated! I will do some experimenting. I just have to use a combo of the gluten-free flours i have because i don't buy flour mixes, they are to exspensive.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I love Gluten Free Pantry's mix for the gingerbread spice cake. Every time i buy it i look at the ingredients and think "gosh, i have all these ingredients at home, i could make this cake a whole lot cheaper". I really want to come up with my own recipe but don't know the right porportions for flour, butter, sugar etc. Can anyone help? Does anyone have a good recipe?

Simple. Figure out how many cups of flour the cake mix contains, use your own blend of flours for that many cups plus one tsp xanthan gum, and add spices to your taste, and then follow the rest of the directions. This way, you only have to buy the mix once! Make sure you write everything down!

Edit: Oh, and a tsp of baking soda too, probably. That usually comes in a mix.

valgal123 Rookie
Simple. Figure out how many cups of flour the cake mix contains, use your own blend of flours for that many cups plus one tsp xanthan gum, and add spices to your taste, and then follow the rest of the directions. This way, you only have to buy the mix once! Make sure you write everything down!

Edit: Oh, and a tsp of baking soda too, probably. That usually comes in a mix.

Thank you, but i wasn't sure how much sugar to put in it. It makes one 8 inch pan cake and uses white and brown sugar.

Archived