Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Brewer's Yeast

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I just noticed this on the Forbidden list, and was wondering if anyone could help me out? I googled it and I read that it was an individual plant, so I don't see why that would contain gluten. I am actually checking because I am wondering about trying to find a cheap replacement for my pet's foods. I don't let my daughter feed them, but I am wondering about cross contamination after they eat and then lick themselves or just plain slobber everywhere. While we are working on better hand washing for her, I also like to cut down on exposure wherever I can. I am wondering if I switched the pet food to one that only listed Brewer's yeast instead of actual wheat if it would make this even less of an issue. Any thoughts?

Michelle

Ads by Google:

All brand-name packaged yeasts sold in the US are gluten free. Autolyzed yeast in a food product is generally considered gluten free. Brewers yeast, when it's a by-product of beer, is not considered gluten free. Brewers yeast nutritional supplements, however, can be made from either brewer

I'm assuming you make your own pet food? Because store-bought pet food all contains wheat, last I checked....

Merika

We get the nutritional yeast from Bob's Red Mill. We used to get it from the health food store, but I can no longer drive the 45 minutes to get there. We especially like it on popcorn (with just a touch of salt and garlic powder as well). It is sooo high in B vitamins for energy.