3 replies to this topic

#1 ashlee's mom

ashlee's mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:52 AM

Hi, I just noticed this on the Forbidden list, and was wondering if anyone could help me out? I googled it and I read that it was an individual plant, so I don't see why that would contain gluten. I am actually checking because I am wondering about trying to find a cheap replacement for my pet's foods. I don't let my daughter feed them, but I am wondering about cross contamination after they eat and then lick themselves or just plain slobber everywhere. While we are working on better hand washing for her, I also like to cut down on exposure wherever I can. I am wondering if I switched the pet food to one that only listed Brewer's yeast instead of actual wheat if it would make this even less of an issue. Any thoughts?

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lesliean

Lesliean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:33 AM

All brand-name packaged yeasts sold in the US are gluten free. Autolyzed yeast in a food product is generally considered gluten free. Brewers yeast, when it's a by-product of beer, is not considered gluten free. Brewers yeast nutritional supplements, however, can be made from either brewer’s yeast or sugar. If made from sugar, they are gluten free. http://www.glutenfre...ingredients.htm

Guess this means check what the yeast is grown on. ie-Red Star® nutritional yeast is an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. Lesaffre Yeast Corporation derives its primary grown nutritional yeast from pure strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae grown on mixtures of cane and beet molasses.

I mix nutritional yeast with blender mashed almonds and cornstarch, onion, garlic, salt, water and cook till it makes a cheese-like sauce. Yum.

#3 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

I'm assuming you make your own pet food? Because store-bought pet food all contains wheat, last I checked....

Merika

#4 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

We get the nutritional yeast from Bob's Red Mill. We used to get it from the health food store, but I can no longer drive the 45 minutes to get there. We especially like it on popcorn (with just a touch of salt and garlic powder as well). It is sooo high in B vitamins for energy.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: