This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free/cf/sf Free Pizza Crust?

Healthy Girl

Healthy Girl Explorer

good morning!

Does anyone have a gluten-free/cf/sf pizza crust recipe. I also can not do honey and/or maple syrup.

I looked online but could not find one that would work. Any help is appreciated!!

A :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ridgewalker Contributor

My pizza crust is gluten-free/cf/sf. I think it's pretty good, and my kids gobble it up.

2/3 c. All purpose gluten-free blend (i.e. Gluten Free Pantry, or a homemade blend like equal parts rice flour, tapioca, and cornstarch)

1/2 c. Tapioca Flour

2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 Tbsp. dry yeast granules

1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbsp. sugar

1 c. warm water

1 tsp vinegar

1 tsp. vegetable or olive oil

This makes one 12 inch pizza, or double it for cookie-sheet size, which is what I usually do. Whisk dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients, and stir for 3 minutes. Spray pan with cooking spray (or if using a pizza stone, sprinkle generously with gluten-free flour), and dump dough onto pan.

Spread dough to edges, making a slight "lip" at the edges to hold sauce and toppings. You can start the spreading using a spoon, then sprinkle generously with gluten-free flour, and use your fingers, adding more flour as necessary so it doesn't stick too badly to your hands.

Bake in 425 F. oven for... probably about 15 minutes. :ph34r: I'm terrible at timing things. You want the crust to just barely start to turn tan (will probably turn tan in patches, that's fine, don't wait for the whole thing to be brown.) Pull from oven and add your sauce and toppings. Return to oven for about 10 minutes, or until toppings are done.

Notes:

If crust is a little gummy for your taste, do try it again, using less xanthan gum. This recipe is pretty versatile. I've replaced the all purpose gluten-free blend with sorghum flour (a bit better for you) a few times and it has a different flavor, but just as good. The tapioca flour is actually the key to a decent crust, I think.

I've also used this recipe to make mini pizzas to have in the freezer. The recipe above makes two good size mini pizzas, or three smaller (or thinner) ones. You can freeze the crust in freezer bags after it's baked, to have premade crusts. Or you can bake the crust, add the toppings, and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen (so the toppings/sauce aren't wet,) then place in freezer bags. MUCH cheaper than premade gluten-free frozen pizza. If you make the crust thin, really watch it so it doesn't over brown- it gets tough and hard to bite when it over-cooks.

Another time saver is to just mix up the dry ingredients and store in a ziploc bag. If you go ahead and add the yeast, you need to store the mix in the fridge. I always have crust mixes made up ahead, and then it's quick to just add the water, oil, and vinegar.

Hope you like it.

• 5 months later...
purple Community Regular
My pizza crust is gluten-free/cf/sf. I think it's pretty good, and my kids gobble it up.

2/3 c. All purpose gluten-free blend (i.e. Gluten Free Pantry, or a homemade blend like equal parts rice flour, tapioca, and cornstarch)

1/2 c. Tapioca Flour

2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 Tbsp. dry yeast granules

1/2 tsp salt

1 Tbsp. sugar

1 c. warm water

1 tsp vinegar

1 tsp. vegetable or olive oil

This makes one 12 inch pizza, or double it for cookie-sheet size, which is what I usually do. Whisk dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients, and stir for 3 minutes. Spray pan with cooking spray (or if using a pizza stone, sprinkle generously with gluten-free flour), and dump dough onto pan.

Spread dough to edges, making a slight "lip" at the edges to hold sauce and toppings. You can start the spreading using a spoon, then sprinkle generously with gluten-free flour, and use your fingers, adding more flour as necessary so it doesn't stick too badly to your hands.

Bake in 425 F. oven for... probably about 15 minutes. :ph34r: I'm terrible at timing things. You want the crust to just barely start to turn tan (will probably turn tan in patches, that's fine, don't wait for the whole thing to be brown.) Pull from oven and add your sauce and toppings. Return to oven for about 10 minutes, or until toppings are done.

Notes:

If crust is a little gummy for your taste, do try it again, using less xanthan gum. This recipe is pretty versatile. I've replaced the all purpose gluten-free blend with sorghum flour (a bit better for you) a few times and it has a different flavor, but just as good. The tapioca flour is actually the key to a decent crust, I think.

I've also used this recipe to make mini pizzas to have in the freezer. The recipe above makes two good size mini pizzas, or three smaller (or thinner) ones. You can freeze the crust in freezer bags after it's baked, to have premade crusts. Or you can bake the crust, add the toppings, and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen (so the toppings/sauce aren't wet,) then place in freezer bags. MUCH cheaper than premade gluten-free frozen pizza. If you make the crust thin, really watch it so it doesn't over brown- it gets tough and hard to bite when it over-cooks.

Another time saver is to just mix up the dry ingredients and store in a ziploc bag. If you go ahead and add the yeast, you need to store the mix in the fridge. I always have crust mixes made up ahead, and then it's quick to just add the water, oil, and vinegar.

Hope you like it.

I finally got to try this recipe and its very good, fast and EASY too! I used sorghum mix plus the extra tapioca, dash of basil, and beat the dough with a mixer. The dough spreads really easy with a spoon. It made 4 mini pizzas. I brushed the edges with olive oil after the first bake...mmm

The only trouble I had and keep having is doughy middles. I have to bake in a toaster oven and I don't have a pizza stone. I prebake in a pan, top, then bake on the rack.

I will try using less xanthan gum as stated above and maybe make 5 mini pizzas.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
good morning!

Does anyone have a gluten-free/cf/sf pizza crust recipe. I also can not do honey and/or maple syrup.

I looked online but could not find one that would work. Any help is appreciated!!

A :D

It's not a recipe but we absolutely love Open Original Shared Link. It's a staple around our house.

Archived