3 replies to this topic

#1 mysterypain

mysterypain

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 05:31 PM

[COLOR=blue]I have been suffereing with strange symtoms for three years. It wasn't until my doc sent me for a celiac screen (blood test) that I suspected or even heard of it. I went off of gluten after the test. I felt soooo much better. The test came back negative and she told me that it was a very accurate test, I don't think this is my imagination. If I eat gluten I feel very dizzy, lose the feeling in my extremities and get horrible pain through my chest that spreads, like heart attack pain, I feel very tired and almost insane. I don't recognize myself. I asked her if I could be sensitive and not celiac, she really didn't know what to say other than stay away from gluten. Could the test be wrong? Or should I accept this answer? I know the bottom line is that I feel better no matter what anyone says. I was just wondering what you guys would think of this result? Thanks for a great place to chat!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2004 - 06:54 PM

Hi mysterypain! Welcome to the board! To answer your question, all doctors think the bloodwork is a very accurate test but it's not! Yes you can have negative blood-work and biopsy and still have Celiac Disease! The fact that you felt better after going gluten-free is a very good sign that you have celiac disease, not to mention the symptoms you experienced when you ate gluten.

If you need a docs diagnosis I would suggest using Enterolab stool panel test and it's accurate!

I hope this helps! :D

#3 simply

simply

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:24 PM

Yeah...

I'm going through the same thing right now. I have all the symptoms...bloating, diarrhea, upset stomach, floating stools, hair falling out...everything except being underweight. Except the Gliadin IgG, which was a weak positive, all the lab tests have come back negative.

However, after reading some information on the www.enterolab.com site, it appears as though the EMA test is very specific but not very sensitive. This means that if it is positive, there is no possible way it is a false-positive...you have Celiac. However, it being negative doesn't mean much.

It being negative only means that the villi in the small intestine have not yet totally atrophied. This is because it is a blood test, and for the antibodies to get from your small intestine to the blood there must be some major, major damage. Only 30% of the people with partial villi-atrophy tested positive on the EMA / transglutamine tests even though there was, indeed, some damage to the villi.

I may be spelling some of these words wrong (sorry about that), but if you go the thread I started today (I'm Simply), gf4life has posted some links that give more details.

You ought to check them out.

Simply

#4 ChrissyInNH

ChrissyInNH

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:49 AM

Hi!
I am new here too. I feel like I am going through the exact same thing! I just got my test results and they were "normal". I'm not sure which my doctor ordered but she sent me the results so I'll know soon.

Good luck! Hopefully we'll both find some answers.
Chris
Christine
Gluten-free since 2/2004 for gluten intolerance (celiac negative)
Mom to two gluten-free, soy free, low casein boys

IgG test currently showing intolerance to: casein/dairy, egg, sugar cane, yeast, white potato, coffee, amaranth, blueberry, garlic, kidney beans, sesame, whey, banana, pineapple, pinto beans, radish. Have removed these from diet on 10/28/07.

Not showing intolerance to gluten, wheat, barley, rye, soy, rice, oats or corn at this time, but still totally gluten-free for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: