4 replies to this topic

#1 susieg_1

susieg_1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

I just heard about betaine HCL supplements to boost stomach acid production and it is supposed to help in digestion and prevent conditions such as candida, also indicated for people with food allergies. It sounds like it could be detrimental to the stomach lining and I wonder if anyone has used this supplement?
Self dx celiac disease
Gluten free since July 2007
Clinical dx celiac disease November 2007
Self-dx Lyme disease May 2008
Lyme confirmed positive Western Blot May 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

I have. I used it for a few months and then my own body kicked in and I discontinued it.

If you want to try it, take only 1 capsule with a moderate or high protein meal. Never take with a carbohydrate only meal as this can damage your stomach lining. You dont need all that acid to digest carbs. If you feel a "burning" in your stomach with that first protein meal (you DO NOT need HCL). If you feel nothing or improvement in digestion. You can stick with one pill per meal or try 2 the next time.

If you up to 2 and get the burning then 1 pill is your dose.

If at anytime you get a "burning" you can quickly and easily neutralize the acid by taking warm water with some baking soda 1/4 - 1/2 tsp in 4 oz.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#3 susieg_1

susieg_1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

awesome!! Thanks, I will try it now that I have your feedback
Self dx celiac disease
Gluten free since July 2007
Clinical dx celiac disease November 2007
Self-dx Lyme disease May 2008
Lyme confirmed positive Western Blot May 2008

#4 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:51 AM

It sounds like you have done some research already. If you buy capsules, you can empty 1/2 out as well to start with a very small dose.

One person in here feels that HCL irritated their stomach lining. They were told to take it BEFORE the meal. But if you dont eat immediately you get this major dose of acid with not enough food to work on. So taken during is better IMO. Some bottles might say after.

Have the soda water on hand just in case.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#5 feelingbetter

feelingbetter

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

I have been using these for the past 6 months. I noticed immediately that I no longer passed undigested food through the stool. I am under a doctor's care so I will take them until feels I no longer need them.
Brenda

Diagnosed with chronic fatigue, fibro, anemia, chronic constipation, low blood pressure, migraines, headaches, severe low sugar reactions and bipolar disorder. I was basically disabled.
March/08  Gluten and dairy free - Tested positive through enterolab
April/08   Gave up tomatoes, corn, soy, potatoes and peanutsMay/08  
May/08   Started SCD. Dramatic improvement!!! All symptoms above have mostly gone away.  Will stay on SCD for at least a year or two. My diet consists of 65% raw fruit and vegetables,  25% protein and the balance good fats.  NO PROCESSED FOODS!
Oct/08 Now 80-90% Raw Food Diet. My health continues to improve and energy is coming back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: