Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Betaine Hcl

5 posts in this topic

I just heard about betaine HCL supplements to boost stomach acid production and it is supposed to help in digestion and prevent conditions such as candida, also indicated for people with food allergies. It sounds like it could be detrimental to the stomach lining and I wonder if anyone has used this supplement?

Ads by Google:

I have. I used it for a few months and then my own body kicked in and I discontinued it.

If you want to try it, take only 1 capsule with a moderate or high protein meal. Never take with a carbohydrate only meal as this can damage your stomach lining. You dont need all that acid to digest carbs. If you feel a "burning" in your stomach with that first protein meal (you DO NOT need HCL). If you feel nothing or improvement in digestion. You can stick with one pill per meal or try 2 the next time.

If you up to 2 and get the burning then 1 pill is your dose.

If at anytime you get a "burning" you can quickly and easily neutralize the acid by taking warm water with some baking soda 1/4 - 1/2 tsp in 4 oz.

awesome!! Thanks, I will try it now that I have your feedback

It sounds like you have done some research already. If you buy capsules, you can empty 1/2 out as well to start with a very small dose.

One person in here feels that HCL irritated their stomach lining. They were told to take it BEFORE the meal. But if you dont eat immediately you get this major dose of acid with not enough food to work on. So taken during is better IMO. Some bottles might say after.

Have the soda water on hand just in case.

I have been using these for the past 6 months. I noticed immediately that I no longer passed undigested food through the stool. I am under a doctor's care so I will take them until feels I no longer need them.