4 replies to this topic

#1 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

For those of us who suffer from terrible nausea, do you have meds that work? Someone today told me about Phenegran or whatever it's called and I wondered about that b/c I've never heard of that. I think it's the morning sickness med and it makes you sleepy but that's all I know.
is anyone here presribed nausea meds? I'd just like to know because mine gets bad lately SINCE going gluten-free...oddly enough. Before gluten-free I had more burning pains and gas, now I have more nausea. Go figure....I can't figure out which is worse.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CMWeaver

CMWeaver

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:35 PM

I currently have a prescription for Phenergan. I also received a RX when I was pregnant with awful morning sickness.

What I know is that it is a medicine very commonly dispensed for nausea. The one side effect that I did notice each and every time is sleepiness. As a result, I take it at night whenever possible. Of course, the effects vary I imagine with the dosage (once a day or twice etc.). Also, I am on other GI medications which also produce a sleepiness side effect.....probably intensifying that from the Phenergan.
So I would check with the pharmacist if you are taking any other medications. Perhaps you can break them up, taking them at different times to lessen any effects.

Without going on and on, I've taken Phenergan on and off for 5 years including during the first trimester of a very high risk pregnancy and would consider it safe. Everyone is different but it is the only nausea medication that I can actually say worked.

:rolleyes:
Christine

#3 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:17 PM

Jknnej, how long have you been gluten-free? I noticed that after about two months gluten-free, I became SO nauseous for a couple of weeks--it was pretty bad. Now, I only have occasional bouts--I figure my body is still working out the gluten, healing, and just readjusting in general. I also was prescribed that med, but didn't take it because I hate taking medicine and my doctor told me it would knock me out, and as I'm a professor, I can't afford to sleep while I teach! I also had someone suggest taking non-drowsy Dramamine to help with the nausea, so you may want to check on that--I haven't checked if that's gluten-free or not, though, because my nausea began subsiding a bit after someone recommended it.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better very soon!
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#4 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:41 PM

Hi,
I hear ya on this one, lol! But then nausea was my main complaint before going gluten-free, too. Though it's different nausea now than then, if that makes any sense.

Did you see the thread a while back on peppermint candies and tea? It won't cure anything, but might give you some temporary relief, just make sure they're gluten-free. :)

Merika

#5 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:30 AM

Nausea was my main symptom before going gluten-free. When I accidentally ingest gluten I get nauseaous but for the most part it had gotten 99.9% better. It does take time though. For some people it takes longer to feel better. When you first start the diet many things slip in at first because you don't know all the stuff gluten is hidden under. I had that problem at first. It will get better your body just may need more time.
There was a post a while back about different things to help with nausea. You may want to look at that there is a lot of great info on there and could definately help. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: