Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Isn't Baking Soda And Powder Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#1 Bellamia

Bellamia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

I've seen baking powder and soda in our local co-op that are tagged as gluten-free. Is there something I'm missing? What is in them that makes them not gluten-free? Are they made in a plant that could cause contanination?
I buy Rumford baking powder because it's alum-free, and just recently noticed that it also says gluten-free.
Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

I've seen baking powder and soda in our local co-op that are tagged as gluten-free. Is there something I'm missing? What is in them that makes them not gluten-free? Are they made in a plant that could cause contanination?
I buy Rumford baking powder because it's alum-free, and just recently noticed that it also says gluten-free.
Thanks.

Both are gluten free, but so are broccoli and carrots. I believe it's called "jumping on the bandwagon".

I suppose that some brands could have some additives. But pure baking soda and powers do not contain gluten.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

Yes, it is a marketing tactic. Gluten Free is becoming more main stream and people are actively looking for gluten free items. So by putting that on their product, they hope to get the sale from the manufacturers who do not label as gluten free. Eventually they will all say that.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:16 AM

Years ago CSA warned people that baking powder and baking soda could have gluten. I've never seen anybody post an actual brand that does have gluten.

richard

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:39 AM

I've not heard of baking soda/powder with gluten in it, but have seen reference to making sure yours is gluten-free, so I assume there might be some out there that isn't.

Someone posted here a while back that they saw some powdered sugar at Walmart that had wheat in it. I don't know what brand.

#6 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:25 AM

I always assume that any manufacturer could put gluten in their product. So......I ALWAYS READ. Even if it says gluten free, I check the ingredients. It has become habit. I dont eat hardly any processed foods anymore. So it is really just my spices, baking supplies and hemp milk I give the once over.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

I always assume that any manufacturer could put gluten in their product. So......I ALWAYS READ. Even if it says gluten free, I check the ingredients. It has become habit. I dont eat hardly any processed foods anymore. So it is really just my spices, baking supplies and hemp milk I give the once over.

Yeah, like the whey protein shake I almost bought because it said gluten free on the front, out of habit, I flipped it over. OATS. First, OATS does not equal gluten free!!!!!!! Second, and more importantly, WHY DO YOU NEED OATS IN A WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE!?!?!?!?

Bah humbug.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#8 Bellamia

Bellamia

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for all of your responses. I thought about it being a marketing ploy, but did not want to jump to fast to that assumption.
I also was concerned because I use baking soda for tooth paste and I was concerned about putting that in pure form in the old body!

#9 spunky

spunky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:31 AM

Baking soda should be naturally gluten free (unless it had some fillers in it or something, which I've never seen, ever).

Baking powder, on the other hand, COULD have gluten in it, so read the labels. Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda, something acidic to make the baking soda activate (cream of tartar, etc.) and the a starch of some type to carry the mixture. It would be conceivable the starch could be something with gluten, although normally in the U.S. it isn't. But I think you should always read the labels and investigate since it is a possibility.

I have to admit I'm more apt to buy the baking powder labeled gluten free, since that way I feel a little more assured that the starch carrier is not anything to worry about. I don't worry about baking soda... I just make sure there's nothing else in there besides 100% baking soda.

I used to make my own baking powder from baking soda, cream of tartar, and tapioca starch... I don't remember the proportions right now...haven't had the time for doing stuff like that recently.

#10 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:35 AM

I've not heard of baking soda/powder with gluten in it, but have seen reference to making sure yours is gluten-free, so I assume there might be some out there that isn't.

They may also be referring to cc'd baking soda/powder by using the same measuring spoon throughout a cooking process. I know I do that. If I have to measure out a teaspoon of salt, sugar, flour, baking powder/soda, etc . . . I will use the same spoon for all dry ingredients. So if you have a container from before going gluten free and you have a habit like mine, best throw out your old container and buy a fresh one.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#11 RDR

RDR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:35 AM

Check here for a good explanation. Spunky is right, I've actually come upon one store brand baking powder myself that actually had wheat starch in it but can't recall which store at the moment (most likely either Stop & Shop, Hannaford or Shaws).
Intolerances:
Gluten/Wheat
Corn
Bean Flours

Allergies:
Rice
Soy/Soya/Lecithin
Honey
Chocolate
Fish/Shellfish

Gluten-free since 2006

#12 lasal

lasal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

Check here for a good explanation. Spunky is right, I've actually come upon one store brand baking powder myself that actually had wheat starch in it but can't recall which store at the moment (most likely either Stop & Shop, Hannaford or Shaws).

Before being diagonsed I had a baking powder that had wheat/wheat starch in it. I believe it was Safeway (store brand). Because of that I bought gluten-free baking powder at first, but recently found gluten-free baking powder in Superstore (Canada). It's very reasonably priced as well.

#13 TigerRaven

TigerRaven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, like the whey protein shake I almost bought because it said gluten free on the front, out of habit, I flipped it over. OATS. First, OATS does not equal gluten free!!!!!!! Second, and more importantly, WHY DO YOU NEED OATS IN A WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE!?!?!?!?

Bah humbug.

If it says it's gluten free maybe it's gluten free oats? you need to check with the company. oats have no gluten, the only way that it can have is by being grown or processed in the same area as wheat and it gets contaminated! I would check with the company because if they are labeling themselves as gluten free it's either that 1) it's made with oats that are uncontaminated or 2) they are unaware that oats can be contaminated and need to be told so they are aware

#14 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

If it says it's gluten free maybe it's gluten free oats? you need to check with the company. oats have no gluten, the only way that it can have is by being grown or processed in the same area as wheat and it gets contaminated! I would check with the company because if they are labeling themselves as gluten free it's either that 1) it's made with oats that are uncontaminated or 2) they are unaware that oats can be contaminated and need to be told so they are aware

TR ,

Welcome to the forum! You responded to a pretty old post. Just wanted to let you know, in case you do not get a response. Labeling laws have changed (or will be) soon, but you are right about oats. I buy only certified gluten-free oats and like you said, it is best to check with the manufacturer when in doubt.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

I was shocked to see modified food starch listed on the ingredients of ricotta cheese the other day. That's CRAZY!!!

Baking soda and baking powder should always be fine, right? I guess we always have to read read read!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: