This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Isn't Baking Soda And Powder Gluten Free?

Bellamia

Bellamia Newbie

I've seen baking powder and soda in our local co-op that are tagged as gluten-free. Is there something I'm missing? What is in them that makes them not gluten-free? Are they made in a plant that could cause contanination?

I buy Rumford baking powder because it's alum-free, and just recently noticed that it also says gluten-free.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I've seen baking powder and soda in our local co-op that are tagged as gluten-free. Is there something I'm missing? What is in them that makes them not gluten-free? Are they made in a plant that could cause contanination?

I buy Rumford baking powder because it's alum-free, and just recently noticed that it also says gluten-free.

Thanks.

Both are gluten free, but so are broccoli and carrots. I believe it's called "jumping on the bandwagon".

I suppose that some brands could have some additives. But pure baking soda and powers do not contain gluten.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Yes, it is a marketing tactic. Gluten Free is becoming more main stream and people are actively looking for gluten free items. So by putting that on their product, they hope to get the sale from the manufacturers who do not label as gluten free. Eventually they will all say that.

lovegrov Collaborator

Years ago CSA warned people that baking powder and baking soda could have gluten. I've never seen anybody post an actual brand that does have gluten.

richard

Juliebove Rising Star

I've not heard of baking soda/powder with gluten in it, but have seen reference to making sure yours is gluten-free, so I assume there might be some out there that isn't.

Someone posted here a while back that they saw some powdered sugar at Walmart that had wheat in it. I don't know what brand.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I always assume that any manufacturer could put gluten in their product. So......I ALWAYS READ. Even if it says gluten free, I check the ingredients. It has become habit. I dont eat hardly any processed foods anymore. So it is really just my spices, baking supplies and hemp milk I give the once over.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I always assume that any manufacturer could put gluten in their product. So......I ALWAYS READ. Even if it says gluten free, I check the ingredients. It has become habit. I dont eat hardly any processed foods anymore. So it is really just my spices, baking supplies and hemp milk I give the once over.

Yeah, like the whey protein shake I almost bought because it said gluten free on the front, out of habit, I flipped it over. OATS. First, OATS does not equal gluten free!!!!!!! Second, and more importantly, WHY DO YOU NEED OATS IN A WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE!?!?!?!?

Bah humbug.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bellamia Newbie

Thanks for all of your responses. I thought about it being a marketing ploy, but did not want to jump to fast to that assumption.

I also was concerned because I use baking soda for tooth paste and I was concerned about putting that in pure form in the old body!

spunky Contributor

Baking soda should be naturally gluten free (unless it had some fillers in it or something, which I've never seen, ever).

Baking powder, on the other hand, COULD have gluten in it, so read the labels. Baking powder is a mixture of baking soda, something acidic to make the baking soda activate (cream of tartar, etc.) and the a starch of some type to carry the mixture. It would be conceivable the starch could be something with gluten, although normally in the U.S. it isn't. But I think you should always read the labels and investigate since it is a possibility.

I have to admit I'm more apt to buy the baking powder labeled gluten free, since that way I feel a little more assured that the starch carrier is not anything to worry about. I don't worry about baking soda... I just make sure there's nothing else in there besides 100% baking soda.

I used to make my own baking powder from baking soda, cream of tartar, and tapioca starch... I don't remember the proportions right now...haven't had the time for doing stuff like that recently.

Darn210 Enthusiast
I've not heard of baking soda/powder with gluten in it, but have seen reference to making sure yours is gluten-free, so I assume there might be some out there that isn't.

They may also be referring to cc'd baking soda/powder by using the same measuring spoon throughout a cooking process. I know I do that. If I have to measure out a teaspoon of salt, sugar, flour, baking powder/soda, etc . . . I will use the same spoon for all dry ingredients. So if you have a container from before going gluten free and you have a habit like mine, best throw out your old container and buy a fresh one.

RDR Apprentice

Check Open Original Shared Link for a good explanation. Spunky is right, I've actually come upon one store brand baking powder myself that actually had wheat starch in it but can't recall which store at the moment (most likely either Stop & Shop, Hannaford or Shaws).

• 2 weeks later...
lasal Newbie
Check Open Original Shared Link for a good explanation. Spunky is right, I've actually come upon one store brand baking powder myself that actually had wheat starch in it but can't recall which store at the moment (most likely either Stop & Shop, Hannaford or Shaws).

Before being diagonsed I had a baking powder that had wheat/wheat starch in it. I believe it was Safeway (store brand). Because of that I bought gluten-free baking powder at first, but recently found gluten-free baking powder in Superstore (Canada). It's very reasonably priced as well.

• 5 years later...
TigerRaven Newbie

Yeah, like the whey protein shake I almost bought because it said gluten free on the front, out of habit, I flipped it over. OATS. First, OATS does not equal gluten free!!!!!!! Second, and more importantly, WHY DO YOU NEED OATS IN A WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE!?!?!?!?

Bah humbug.

If it says it's gluten free maybe it's gluten free oats? you need to check with the company. oats have no gluten, the only way that it can have is by being grown or processed in the same area as wheat and it gets contaminated! I would check with the company because if they are labeling themselves as gluten free it's either that 1) it's made with oats that are uncontaminated or 2) they are unaware that oats can be contaminated and need to be told so they are aware

cyclinglady Grand Master

If it says it's gluten free maybe it's gluten free oats? you need to check with the company. oats have no gluten, the only way that it can have is by being grown or processed in the same area as wheat and it gets contaminated! I would check with the company because if they are labeling themselves as gluten free it's either that 1) it's made with oats that are uncontaminated or 2) they are unaware that oats can be contaminated and need to be told so they are aware

TR ,

Welcome to the forum! You responded to a pretty old post. Just wanted to let you know, in case you do not get a response. Labeling laws have changed (or will be) soon, but you are right about oats. I buy only certified gluten-free oats and like you said, it is best to check with the manufacturer when in doubt.

livinthelife Apprentice

I was shocked to see modified food starch listed on the ingredients of ricotta cheese the other day. That's CRAZY!!!

Baking soda and baking powder should always be fine, right? I guess we always have to read read read!!

psawyer Proficient

Modified food starch is not a concern today, although it was once a possible one years ago. Wheat must now be disclosed in the rare case that it is the starch. MFS is tapioca or corn. If you ave an issue with either of those, it is a concern, but it is not hidden gluten.

Baking soda is a single ingredient, and will always be gluten-free. Baking powder could be multiple ingredients, so read the label carefully. Wheat can not be hidden.

kareng Grand Master

I was shocked to see modified food starch listed on the ingredients of ricotta cheese the other day. That's CRAZY!!!

Baking soda and baking powder should always be fine, right? I guess we always have to read read read!!

I am not sure what you are implying here? Modified food starch does not contain gluten. If it did, it would say something like " modified wheat starch".

Never seen a baking soda or powder with gluten.

Please remember that the original posts are many years old.

LauraTX Rising Star

Livin, unfortunately yes you have to check the label on the most mundane things- Every label, every time.  A lot of the prominent name brands of baking powder say gluten free on them so I always just go with one of those.

However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat (and that is uncommon-usually it is made from corn), so it is almost always a safe ingredient.  This page covers it nicely: Open Original Shared Link  If you are in a different country your labeling laws and practices may be different.

livinthelife Apprentice

I think I must've been going in some very old old information. Thanks for clearing this up!!

LauraTX Rising Star

:) No problem!  From what  I understand, it used to not be that way.  Yay for us!

TigerRaven Newbie

Livin, unfortunately yes you have to check the label on the most mundane things- Every label, every time.  A lot of the prominent name brands of baking powder say gluten free on them so I always just go with one of those.

However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat (and that is uncommon-usually it is made from corn), so it is almost always a safe ingredient.  This page covers it nicely: Open Original Shared Link  If you are in a different country your labeling laws and practices may be different.

since when is it a must?  It is still voluntary and it says precicely that on the link  that you posted

"One caveat is that allergen labeling of USDA-regulated foods (i.e. processed meat, poultry, and egg products) is voluntary, so these products may not indicate whether or not an additive such as modified food starch or maltodextrin has been derived from wheat. "

psawyer Proficient

Disclosure is mandatory on FDA regulated food products. That would be the case in the items under discussion here. The USDA regulates things like meat, poultry, eggs and milk--not baking powder.

TigerRaven Newbie

Disclosure is mandatory on FDA regulated food products. That would be the case in the items under discussion here. The USDA regulates things like meat, poultry, eggs and milk--not baking powder.

I know that but the LauraTX said that "However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat"  

Which is a blanket statement that mostly isn't true because most of the modified food starch is not labeled as containing wheat.

kareng Grand Master

I know that but the LauraTX said that "However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat"  

Which is a blanket statement that mostly isn't true because most of the modified food starch is not labeled as containing wheat.

Most of it isn't labelled because it does not contain wheat. I have seen it once reported something like this - food starch ( wheat). Or wheat food starch.

LauraTX Rising Star

most of the modified food starch is not labeled as containing wheat.

That is under the assumption that it is made from wheat, and many times it is not.

I posted the link so people would read and fully understand everything fully.  It worked, yay.  Also the page I linked to is two years old and some things have changed since then for the better.

When you have to eat gluten free, one of the first things you have to comprehend is that there is never such a thing as a blanket statement. Always check yourself.  Also, most companies have their own labeling practices, which usually fall under a giant parent company, and will still voluntarily label USDA regulated items with the same thoroughness as FDA regulated items.  It is good to get to know these parent companies.  Then there is also the grey area of where FDA regulation ends and USDA regulation begins on certain types of products for which the companies will follow regulations of both out of fear or regulatory action, which I won't bore you with.

Archived