Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Isn't Baking Soda And Powder Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#16 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Modified food starch is not a concern today, although it was once a possible one years ago. Wheat must now be disclosed in the rare case that it is the starch. MFS is tapioca or corn. If you ave an issue with either of those, it is a concern, but it is not hidden gluten.

Baking soda is a single ingredient, and will always be gluten-free. Baking powder could be multiple ingredients, so read the label carefully. Wheat can not be hidden.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

I was shocked to see modified food starch listed on the ingredients of ricotta cheese the other day. That's CRAZY!!!
Baking soda and baking powder should always be fine, right? I guess we always have to read read read!!

I am not sure what you are implying here? Modified food starch does not contain gluten. If it did, it would say something like " modified wheat starch".

Never seen a baking soda or powder with gluten.

Please remember that the original posts are many years old.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

Livin, unfortunately yes you have to check the label on the most mundane things- Every label, every time.  A lot of the prominent name brands of baking powder say gluten free on them so I always just go with one of those.

However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat (and that is uncommon-usually it is made from corn), so it is almost always a safe ingredient.  This page covers it nicely: http://www.celiaccen...rin-8383/pg--2/  If you are in a different country your labeling laws and practices may be different.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#19 livinthelife

livinthelife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

I think I must've been going in some very old old information. Thanks for clearing this up!!

#20 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

:) No problem!  From what  I understand, it used to not be that way.  Yay for us!

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

#21 TigerRaven

TigerRaven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Livin, unfortunately yes you have to check the label on the most mundane things- Every label, every time.  A lot of the prominent name brands of baking powder say gluten free on them so I always just go with one of those.

However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat (and that is uncommon-usually it is made from corn), so it is almost always a safe ingredient.  This page covers it nicely: http://www.celiaccen...rin-8383/pg--2/  If you are in a different country your labeling laws and practices may be different.

since when is it a must?  It is still voluntary and it says precicely that on the link  that you posted

"One caveat is that allergen labeling of USDA-regulated foods (i.e. processed meat, poultry, and egg products) is voluntary, so these products may not indicate whether or not an additive such as modified food starch or maltodextrin has been derived from wheat. "

#22 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Disclosure is mandatory on FDA regulated food products. That would be the case in the items under discussion here. The USDA regulates things like meat, poultry, eggs and milk--not baking powder.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#23 TigerRaven

TigerRaven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Disclosure is mandatory on FDA regulated food products. That would be the case in the items under discussion here. The USDA regulates things like meat, poultry, eggs and milk--not baking powder.

I know that but the LauraTX said that "However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat"  

Which is a blanket statement that mostly isn't true because most of the modified food starch is not labeled as containing wheat.

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I know that but the LauraTX said that "However I do need to note, if you are in the U.S., modified food starch must say wheat on it if it is made from wheat"  
Which is a blanket statement that mostly isn't true because most of the modified food starch is not labeled as containing wheat.

Most of it isn't labelled because it does not contain wheat. I have seen it once reported something like this - food starch ( wheat). Or wheat food starch.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

most of the modified food starch is not labeled as containing wheat.

That is under the assumption that it is made from wheat, and many times it is not.

I posted the link so people would read and fully understand everything fully.  It worked, yay.  Also the page I linked to is two years old and some things have changed since then for the better.

When you have to eat gluten free, one of the first things you have to comprehend is that there is never such a thing as a blanket statement. Always check yourself.  Also, most companies have their own labeling practices, which usually fall under a giant parent company, and will still voluntarily label USDA regulated items with the same thoroughness as FDA regulated items.  It is good to get to know these parent companies.  Then there is also the grey area of where FDA regulation ends and USDA regulation begins on certain types of products for which the companies will follow regulations of both out of fear or regulatory action, which I won't bore you with.

#26 TigerRaven

TigerRaven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

Most of it isn't labelled because it does not contain wheat. I have seen it once reported something like this - food starch ( wheat). Or wheat food starch.

I have never seen it labeled as that  and most companies I have called, who labeled it as Modified Food Starch, use wheat starch and it is labeled Modified food starch. I have seen however modified corn starch or modified food starch (made from corn)  so I avoid all ones that just say modified food starch because I have found most of it is made from wheat starch.

#27 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

While not unheard of, wheat as the origin of "modified food starch" is extremely rare, at least in North America. It is almost always tapioca or corn starch. In Canada, disclosure of wheat is required by law in all foods. In the US, most foods are regulated by the FDA and FALCPA applies.

If you have a verifiable source of wheat being used, but not disclosed, provide it here and now. Be specific, that is, tell us the name of the product, and the source of your claim that it contains wheat. Otherwise, stop the fear mongering.

Modified food starch is a safe ingredient.

Peter

#28 TigerRaven

TigerRaven

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

I want to publically apologize. I haven't read a Campbell's soup label in a long time since I can't have Campbells soup so I was unaware that they have now listed their modified food starch as modified food starch, wheat.  So I apologize if my comments sent anyone in a state of fear and I will check my facts from now on before I post

#29 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Thank you, that is appreciated :)

#30 deechristoff

deechristoff

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

All grains have glutens in them - not just wheat which has a particular type of gluten (gliadin) - it's just that wheat is particularly troublesome for people with gluten intolerances.

However, my understanding is that after wheat, corn gluten is the next biggest problem for many people with gluten sensitivities, especially if you have poor digestion or leaky gut syndrome. In fact, many people with gluten allergies, intolerance or celiac continue to have problems after they remove all wheat from their diets - and it's possible for some that it's because of corn gluten. I personally react as strongly to corn as I do to wheat (perhaps more so). As a result, I seek out gluten-free baking powder which does not have cornstarch in it. Baking soda (as stated previously) does not have either wheat or corn gluten. 

So, there is in fact a reason for gluten-free baking powder. 

Cheers, 

Dee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: