Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Isn't Baking Soda And Powder Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#31 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

All grains have glutens in them - not just wheat which has a particular type of gluten (gliadin) - it's just that wheat is particularly troublesome for people with gluten intolerances.

However, my understanding is that after wheat, corn gluten is the next biggest problem for many people with gluten sensitivities, especially if you have poor digestion or leaky gut syndrome. In fact, many people with gluten allergies, intolerance or celiac continue to have problems after they remove all wheat from their diets - and it's possible for some that it's because of corn gluten. I personally react as strongly to corn as I do to wheat (perhaps more so). As a result, I seek out gluten-free baking powder which does not have cornstarch in it. Baking soda (as stated previously) does not have either wheat or corn gluten. 

So, there is in fact a reason for gluten-free baking powder. 

Cheers, 
Dee

The "Gluten free" on a baking powder label has nothing to do with corn. It could still have corn starch. For labeling purposes and Celiac Disease - corn " gluten" is not called gluten.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: