Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Receiving Social Security Disability?

• Please log in to reply

27 replies to this topic

#16 mslee

mslee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

Lis so sorry about your friend. That is terrible! Sometimes it seems those who need it most are the ones who are unable to get help. :(

wishy washy is a good way to describe the process

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 LIS_Guy

LIS_Guy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

That's nice of you to say, mslee.

Unfortunately it just is what it is. We all know people who abuse the system and get benefits where they are not needed, and we all know people who desperately need help but can't get any whatsoever. My friend Tommy worked hard his whole life, paid his taxes like the rest of us, and died waiting for a heart transplant while SSI continued to tell him he could 'get a desk job'. I guess it hit me especially hard because I have the same disease and I am heading in the same direction. Being in heart failure at the time, and having to listen to this bozo brag about beating the system kinda pushed me over the edge.

If he wasn't driving the car (and hence had my life in his hands) I may have actually smacked him. LOL.

You take care,

LIS

#18 GlutenGuy36

GlutenGuy36

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

I have been on SSI since May 2003. I was accepted right away. (it took a total of 3 months for them to get situated)
I hadn't been able to work since 1996? due to my body being out of control! B)
good luck Sweetie

Hi my name is Ted. I am a 36 year old male from Michigan. I have been feeling horrible since April of 2007. My primary care physician kept telling me it was panic/anxiety. So I went on all of the SSRIs that they prescribed to me. They also prescribed me Xanax. A couple of months later they found out that I had hypothyroidism. So I continued on all of these medications and continued on for 7 months having extreme abdomial pains. Finally
I said that there is no way that this was anxiety and demanded a referral to a Gastroenterologist. I had a Colonoscopy and an Endoscopy done along with a blood test. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease on July 14 2008. Blood Iga levels were 600 and normal is 90-397. All of those months that it was damaging my body and I still don't feel right. Sore everyday. I applied for disability for the hypothyroidism and panic/anxiety but was denied. I am re applying now because I didn't know that I had Celiac Disease the whole time. I'm sure they will try and fight me on it but I cannot work feeling like this.
My bones are sore, super fatigued, tingling in my arms and legs and head. I was just tested for mineral deficiencies and waiting for the results. I'm glad to see that they found in your favor. I hope that they will for me too. Ted.

#19 GlutenWrangler

GlutenWrangler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

Greg,

I've been on SSI since April, but my case is pretty severe. I am unable to eat at all due to Celiac Disease and many food allergies and intolerances. For the past 17 months, I have been on IV nutrition. I was accepted in less than two months.

I'm not sure if Celiac Disease alone would qualify for SSD or SSI because according to medical opinion, it is curable with the gluten-free diet. Is Celiac Disease the only illness that in keeping you away from work, or do you have other health issues? Either way, it's always worth a shot. I would suggest doing some research online about the best way to file a claim. There's a lot of great tips out there. Just make sure you have plently of documentation from your doctors to make a good case for yourself. It's not your fault that you're unable to work, so make sure your doctors understand the severity of your condition. Good luck, and take care,

-Brian
Celiac Sprue
Multiple Food Allergies
Diagnosed June 2006
Stopped Eating June 2007
IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

#20 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

Greg,

I've been on SSI since April, but my case is pretty severe. I am unable to eat at all due to Celiac Disease and many food allergies and intolerances. For the past 17 months, I have been on IV nutrition. I was accepted in less than two months.

I'm not sure if Celiac Disease alone would qualify for SSD or SSI because according to medical opinion, it is curable with the gluten-free diet. Is Celiac Disease the only illness that in keeping you away from work, or do you have other health issues? Either way, it's always worth a shot. I would suggest doing some research online about the best way to file a claim. There's a lot of great tips out there. Just make sure you have plently of documentation from your doctors to make a good case for yourself. It's not your fault that you're unable to work, so make sure your doctors understand the severity of your condition. Good luck, and take care,

-Brian

HI Brian,
I'm so glad that you got SSI
I thought you wouldn't have any problems getting on
did you ever figure out if you had SOD or did you get any help on that forum?
hope your doing better
haven't seen you one much.
course, i haven't been either.
much luck buddy
Judy in Philly
Judy in Southern CA

#21 GlutenWrangler

GlutenWrangler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

Hi Judy!

Thanks, it's nice to hear from you. I had one doctor who said I may have SOD, but if I do, it's SOD type 3, which he said only has a 10% surgical success rate. But I may see a new doctor to discuss the issue. Anyway I hope all is well with you! Take care,

-Brian
Celiac Sprue
Multiple Food Allergies
Diagnosed June 2006
Stopped Eating June 2007
IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

#22 jbyrd

jbyrd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:23 AM

Is anyone receiving social security disability benefits for their celiac disease? If so how hard was it to get and how long did you have to wait. I have been our of work since February 2008 and thought it might be possible to get this coverage as I cannot work right now and need some income.

Hi Greg ,my wife filed disability in Sept 08 .She has been denied 2 times. Her problem is not only she can`t eat gluten, but she can`t breath it either. She can`t breath perfumes ,colognes, make up , we can`t have wheat bread in the house. She has an asthma attack when she gets in contact with any thing with gluten. She has had to change all makeup and shampoos to gluten free. Her family Dr and her Enterologist have written letters of diability. We haven`t been out to eat since her diagnosis . I can`t go through drive through and get a burger if she is in the car with me. Our next step is a lawyer. She had to give up a good paying job with insurance and benefits because her job was in a plant where they produced frozen dinners. jbyrd@cswnet.com
Jmaes Byrd

#23 one more mile

one more mile

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Saddly that is how SSI seems to work. Some people are just to sick to go through the work of getting it. I know someone who got it after a few times after getting a lawyer. Cant you get it for uncontrolled diabetes? Good luck

#24 ERR

ERR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hi. An up-front disclosure that I work for this company, but I think the people who do the disability work are really great. And the website has a bunch of good information, so if anyone is interested in applying for Social Security Disability Insurance check out www.sscdisability.com. And if I can offer any personal guidance, I'm happy to do so. Just send me a pm.

#25 sdelle

sdelle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Saddly that is how SSI seems to work. Some people are just to sick to go through the work of getting it. I know someone who got it after a few times after getting a lawyer. Cant you get it for uncontrolled diabetes? Good luck

Yes it is sad how the system works except when it doesn't. I live in Ga. where we have the worst record of any state for filing and receiving in a timely manner. Personally I I saw my ALJ this past Wed. 4/03/2013 so wish me luck I was told that I would be receiving the decision ny mail in 6-8 weeks. I originally applied in Oct. 2009 have been turned down twice applied for an appeal each time. It often looks like they just hope we all get fed up and quit trying, if mine doesn't go through this time I have one appeal left per my attorney. I have Celiacs, COPD, Fibromyalgia, many chemcial sensitivites but that all of us I'm sure, arthritis and suffer from anxiety and depression and I almost forgot that the hypertension has all but killed my eyes use a cpap machine every night, I always reply when asked about my depression that wouldn't you be too but then again I always try to see the bright side of things because there are a lot of people that have it worse. I'm thankful to have found this site. Don't give up, get an atty and keep smiling

#26 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

long time no see, hope your doing ok

I have been on SSI since May 2003. I was accepted right away. (it took a total of 3 months for them to get situated)
I hadn't been able to work since 1996? due to my body being out of control! cool.gif
good luck Sweetie

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

Just an FYI - this was a 4 year old thread so the original posters may not still be around.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 Dustygirl89

Dustygirl89

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Is anyone receiving social security disability benefits for their celiac disease? If so how hard was it to get and how long did you have to wait. I have been our of work since February 2008 and thought it might be possible to get this coverage as I cannot work right now and need some income. Can anyone with any knowledge of this share their story.

In January of 2013, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) ruled in a case in Massachusetts that effectively identified celiac disease and gluten intolerance as legal disabilities.

The story is fairly simple - students at Lesley University, in Cambridge, objected to the available meal plan. Those who had gluten-related health concerns were being offered a regular diet of gluten-containing foods, so they had to either go hungry or find another option. Because they had purchased a meal plan with their tuition, however, they insisted that the school find a better solution.

In the legal case, the school agreed to recognize the gluten issues as disabilities and to accommodate this by providing gluten-free meals, dealing with any cross-contamination problems, and even training the kitchen staff about food allergies.

This is unprecedented and made me wonder what it means for food service as well as the millions of people diagnosed with gluten intolerance and celiac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: