This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Noodle Soup In Crockpot?

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

I have to make use of my crockpot a couple of times a week at least because daughter is taking so many dance classes this year. I made vegetable beef soup in it tonight and it's really good. But daughter has requested chicken and noodle soup.

I believe I made it in the days of old with the standard egg and gluten noodles and it worked. But would it work with gluten-free noodles? I wouldn't want to come home to a mushy mess.

If it does work, how can I do it? Cook the noodles separately and then add them? Add them right to the soup? I once asked a chef about this because when I used to do the egg and gluten noodles, they would sop up all the broth as would rice if cooked directly in it. He told me to cook the rice or noodles in water and then add to the soup. Which is what I've done. Others have told me I should be cooking the rice and noodles in broth, but that seems like a waste of broth since I would be draining it away. However, I have not found this techique to work so well for the gluten-free noodles.

Or perhaps I am using the wrong type of noodles? I have some corn/quinoa, rice/quinoa and plain rice. Could get plain corn if need be.

The other thing I thought of was to cook the pasta and put it in the fridge, then add it to the soup before serving and letting it heat through, but I don't really want to do that. Many times my husband will get home before we do and will want to eat. Doing something like that is just beyond his ability. He is clueless when it comes to cooking.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular
I have to make use of my crockpot a couple of times a week at least because daughter is taking so many dance classes this year. I made vegetable beef soup in it tonight and it's really good. But daughter has requested chicken and noodle soup.

I believe I made it in the days of old with the standard egg and gluten noodles and it worked. But would it work with gluten-free noodles? I wouldn't want to come home to a mushy mess.

If it does work, how can I do it? Cook the noodles separately and then add them? Add them right to the soup? I once asked a chef about this because when I used to do the egg and gluten noodles, they would sop up all the broth as would rice if cooked directly in it. He told me to cook the rice or noodles in water and then add to the soup. Which is what I've done. Others have told me I should be cooking the rice and noodles in broth, but that seems like a waste of broth since I would be draining it away. However, I have not found this techique to work so well for the gluten-free noodles.

Or perhaps I am using the wrong type of noodles? I have some corn/quinoa, rice/quinoa and plain rice. Could get plain corn if need be.

The other thing I thought of was to cook the pasta and put it in the fridge, then add it to the soup before serving and letting it heat through, but I don't really want to do that. Many times my husband will get home before we do and will want to eat. Doing something like that is just beyond his ability. He is clueless when it comes to cooking.

When I use the regular wheat pasta and leave it too long in the crock pot it does get...whats the word...sloppy, soggy, flippy...I woudn't do it with the gluten-free ones. How about rice?

Your last suggestion is what I was going to say. What if you just put a few cooked noodles in a bowl for your dh and he could heat them and dump the soup on top...leave him a "how to" note.

Some hubbys are lost in the kitchen. Mine can't find anything in the fridge unless its on the door or smack in front, :o but he will look in all the cupboards (but one ;) ) for treats I have to hide.

Juliebove Rising Star
When I use the regular wheat pasta and leave it too long in the crock pot it does get...whats the word...sloppy, soggy, flippy...I woudn't do it with the gluten-free ones. How about rice?

Your last suggestion is what I was going to say. What if you just put a few cooked noodles in a bowl for your dh and he could heat them and dump the soup on top...leave him a "how to" note.

Some hubbys are lost in the kitchen. Mine can't find anything in the fridge unless its on the door or smack in front, :o but he will look in all the cupboards (but one ;) ) for treats I have to hide.

Nope. He would never do that. He won't do anything that requires the slightest amount of bother. And he won't read notes.

I don't think she likes chicken and rice soup too well. I get the Shelton's from time to time and she isn't so thrilled with it.

missy'smom Collaborator

I prefer to add the separately cooked noodles to the bowl and ladle the soup on top. Probably not what you want to do, but you could use potatoes instead, they will hold up well in the crockpot.

Juliebove Rising Star
I prefer to add the separately cooked noodles to the bowl and ladle the soup on top. Probably not what you want to do, but you could use potatoes instead, they will hold up well in the crockpot.

The soup I made last night had potatoes in it but she specifically wants noodles.

buffettbride Enthusiast

My daughter is seriously jonesing for gluten-free chicken noodle soup.

I'm going to try it in the crock pot--let all teh broth and veggies cook during the day, then add the noodles when we get home from work so we can avoid the mush. Keep an eye on them and check them every 10 mins or so maybe. We always use Tinkyada noodles. I was going to just use the spaghetti variety.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
The soup I made last night had potatoes in it but she specifically wants noodles.

I think you're stuck on this one. You may have to have a microwave class for your husband and make the noodles ahead of time. do't forget to butter them liberally before refridgerating, they stick something fierce if you don't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star
I think you're stuck on this one. You may have to have a microwave class for your husband and make the noodles ahead of time. do't forget to butter them liberally before refridgerating, they stick something fierce if you don't.

Can't use butter. Allergic.

Juliebove Rising Star
My daughter is seriously jonesing for gluten-free chicken noodle soup.

I'm going to try it in the crock pot--let all teh broth and veggies cook during the day, then add the noodles when we get home from work so we can avoid the mush. Keep an eye on them and check them every 10 mins or so maybe. We always use Tinkyada noodles. I was going to just use the spaghetti variety.

Let me know how it comes out.

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I would definitely cook the noodles separately and add them at the end or pour the soup over top of them.

I tried it once with a conventional recipe. When I got home the noodles were more than mush. They pretty much disintigrated. I was so disappointed!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Agree with the others

I cook pasta for other dishes and then bag up left overs in freezer bags.

Nuke for about a minute....depending on the size of the bag and put in bowl and pour soup over also

For indiv servings for me........i freeze the soup in the plastic storage with lids and in the sack baggies freeze the pasta and nuke and add to soup in bowl.

This has always worked for me. Tried in the crockpot once........it was mush even tho i watched it.

Just did it last nite this way UMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

good luck

Judy

Juliebove Rising Star

I wound up making it on the stove. Daughter was feeling sick and now I think I am coming down with whatever it is. :( I cooked the noodles in boiling water, drained them and added them to the soup. The leftovers are in the fridge and the pasta held up well. Didn't suck up all the broth. I used Tinkyada Little Dreams and slightly undercooked them.

• 2 weeks later...
buffettbride Enthusiast

Okay. I thought I would report back. Now, I did it the cheaters way, but it worked and it was DELICIOUS!!!

I had a Banquet frozen crock pot meal (chicken/rice/herb) that I put in the Crockpot in the morning, perdirections. The rice packet you leave out until you come home, then add and let cook for 30 minutes.

So, instead of putting the rice packet in, I put in a package of Tinkyada spaghetti noodles (uncooked), turned to high, and let cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Here's the good: It absolutely worked! The noodle consistency was great. My dd was so excited to have chicken noodle soup, she ate two huge bowls of it! It even kept overnight in the fridge and I sent it in a thermos the next day for her lunch.

Here's what I would change: I probably wouldn't use the Banquet meal again, and if I did, I would add more water than the recipe calls, because it wasn't soupy and very noodly (almost like a casserole). Next time I will make my own soup base, but do the same thingw/ the pasta. Let it cook all day in the crock pot, and then when I get home from work, add the noodles, turn to high, and let cook for 30 minutes.

My dd is in a ton of stuff after school, too (dance, yoga, drama, swimming) so I'd be lost without my Crockpot. Even though we have to wait that 30 minutes after we get home to let the noodles cook, it is definitely worth it.

There's something about chicken noodle soup that warms the soul and it was so incredibly wonderful and awesome to give that meal "back" to her! With winter coming up, I can't WAIT to make this again. The most impressive part was being able to use the leftovers at lunch the next day. She said the noodles didn't taste or feel mushy at all!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks sounds so easy and good

do you know if it has soy in it?

thanks

Judy

buffettbride Enthusiast
thanks sounds so easy and good

do you know if it has soy in it?

thanks

Judy

I have no idea, really. I'd definitely rather make my own soup base than use the mix, just because of the fresher ingredients.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I have no idea, really. I'd definitely rather make my own soup base than use the mix, just because of the fresher ingredients.

I agree

i do that all the time and posted how i do the noodles in a previous post

ususally do from a 'webber 'beer' butt chicken holder on the BBQ

then use the rest of the unclarved bird in my pot

thanks for the info as i usually never use these products

Judy

lpellegr Collaborator

Good noodles for chicken soup: Glutano Tagliatelle. They look and taste just like gluteny egg noodles. When I make chicken soup on the stove I add them at the end just long enough to cook them. Another soup noodle is Mrs. Leeper's alphabet noodles - these used to be just like regular alphabet noodles, but apparently they changed the dies used to make them and now they break really easily into tiny square chips of noodle as they cook. But if you like your soup thick with noodles and don't care about the final shape, they work fine. I bought a case of a dozen bags on A*mazon before I knew about the shape change, so I'll be eating these fragile boogers for a long time. And IMHO, noodles made from corn, quinoa, or potato just don't hold up as well as those made from rice.

Archived