This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kitchen Conflict

Helena

Helena Contributor

My sister and I have been arguing about gluten crumbs in the kitchen. Usually, I just mention that there are gluten crumbs and I say I'll clean them up this time but I ask her to be more aware in the future. That wasn't working, so today we had a frank discussion, and everything that we weren't saying about the situation came out in the open.

I maintain that she should clean up all kitchen surfaces after cooking/eating. She holds that since I have my very own gluten free counter I should be okay with crumbs here and there elsewhere in the kitchen...I have my space that she doesn't use. So I should not be using her space. Other people have to use the kitchen too.

The thing is that I do occasionally use other parts of the kitchen. i.e. "my" counter is not near the sink, and it is nice to have a place to stack dishes if there are too many to put in the sink. Also, I sometimes use up all the available space on "my" counter and put a few things temporarily on another one. As for the kitchen table, she says I shouldn't sit in her spot if it has crumbs. But when people read the paper, etc., crumbs spread. And they get on the floor, too, and I don't want to be tracking gluten everywhere. Aside from health/safety issues, I just don't like having gluten everywhere. It would be kind of like having...oh, say, salmonella bacteria spread on counters which I don't use. I just feel like the space isn't "clean."

I have just been cleaning the kitchen before using it, which I guess is a solution, but I do resent having to clean up after other people all of the time. I'm really upset because my sister isn't taking my concerns seriously. She even admitted that she thought I was being "excessive." I don't think she really believes that gluten crumbs should be that big of a deal as long as I'm not ingesting them.

Even aside from celiac and allergy issues, I consider cleaning kitchen surfaces to be a basic part of keeping things clean.

Mostly, I'm just really hurt. I don't feel very confident about explaining my food issues to others because even my own family thinks I'm neurotic about this. My sister and I actually get along really well, and I don't want this problem to come between us. Because to me it is a really, really big deal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

I have the same problem with my wife of 32 years. Having been diagnosed just 3 years ago. She no longer uses wheat flour or mixes but still likes her white bread and ever now and then I get sick because a crumb got onto something. or left in a pan. FLour and residual gluten in the air can be a big problem for us.

That said, I should say I was a chef and still work with chefs and teach at the culinary school here. In most places in the states one has to take a class and 90 question test on food safety and sanitation every 5 years in order to maintain a license and be able to serve the public. My son is a Sous Chef for Roy's. The two of us threaten to make my wife take the class and test. She is just not the type to clean up the kitchen well. Well if you took this test and saw the question regarding food safety and what can happen with crumbs left around, you would know your right about the kitchen being clean. Besides the health problems it can cause for us celiacs, the viruses and bacteria, insect infestation you would think your sister would want it a little cleaner.

Maybe your family would be surprised at how many of us on the forum have totally Gluten free kitchens and cookware.

Many have had to throw out their utensils and start over. Someone once told me that a good way to explain things was that one molecule of gluten can affect our health and crumbs contain millions....

Good luck

Ken

My sister and I have been arguing about gluten crumbs in the kitchen. Usually, I just mention that there are gluten crumbs and I say I'll clean them up this time but I ask her to be more aware in the future. That wasn't working, so today we had a frank discussion, and everything that we weren't saying about the situation came out in the open.

I maintain that she should clean up all kitchen surfaces after cooking/eating. She holds that since I have my very own gluten free counter I should be okay with crumbs here and there elsewhere in the kitchen...I have my space that she doesn't use. So I should not be using her space. Other people have to use the kitchen too.

The thing is that I do occasionally use other parts of the kitchen. i.e. "my" counter is not near the sink, and it is nice to have a place to stack dishes if there are too many to put in the sink. Also, I sometimes use up all the available space on "my" counter and put a few things temporarily on another one. As for the kitchen table, she says I shouldn't sit in her spot if it has crumbs. But when people read the paper, etc., crumbs spread. And they get on the floor, too, and I don't want to be tracking gluten everywhere. Aside from health/safety issues, I just don't like having gluten everywhere. It would be kind of like having...oh, say, salmonella bacteria spread on counters which I don't use. I just feel like the space isn't "clean."

I have just been cleaning the kitchen before using it, which I guess is a solution, but I do resent having to clean up after other people all of the time. I'm really upset because my sister isn't taking my concerns seriously. She even admitted that she thought I was being "excessive." I don't think she really believes that gluten crumbs should be that big of a deal as long as I'm not ingesting them.

Even aside from celiac and allergy issues, I consider cleaning kitchen surfaces to be a basic part of keeping things clean.

Mostly, I'm just really hurt. I don't feel very confident about explaining my food issues to others because even my own family thinks I'm neurotic about this. My sister and I actually get along really well, and I don't want this problem to come between us. Because to me it is a really, really big deal.

Helena Contributor

Great to hear from an expert on kitchen cleaning LOL! I was right! I was right! (my sister always brings out the kid in me :lol: )

Sounds like we have similar kitchen issues with family. That's good that your wife doesn't cook with flour anymore, though....while I have my own pans, my family does cook with flour sometimes. They cook with flour a lot less because of me, but for special occasions (i.e. Christmas, having people over), the flour comes out. I'd rather not have flour around, but they are quite careful with it.

kenlove Rising Star

Its sure good their are careful with it. I still make Margy mix dough outside!

I dont have to clean it then either! <G>

take care

Great to hear from an expert on kitchen cleaning LOL! I was right! I was right! (my sister always brings out the kid in me :lol: )

Sounds like we have similar kitchen issues with family. That's good that your wife doesn't cook with flour anymore, though....while I have my own pans, my family does cook with flour sometimes. They cook with flour a lot less because of me, but for special occasions (i.e. Christmas, having people over), the flour comes out. I'd rather not have flour around, but they are quite careful with it.

Archived