Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pain

7 posts in this topic

I have been gluten free for over a year now. Things have been going good for quite some time, but I was exposed to gluten in something last weekend. I have been in pain since. The gut pain usually last for 5-7 days and I have been taking motrin. Is this the right medication for this continuous pain?

Ads by Google:

I don't know about what anyone else does, but I take whatever painkiller works when I have a slip-up. If motrin eases your misery, have at it! You might also try antihistamines. It works sometimes for me.

a bland diet and time is what works for me. there's really nothing much else you can do. I do take some antihistamines but have noticed that some bother me too as they have other irritating ingredients. Benadryl is a no-no for me....it has starch.

I had some lays potatoe chips yesterday as a snack and thought they were safe but they set me off big time! I had to got to a restaraunt for dinner and although i ordered plain grilled chicken, no seasonings...and explained to the waiter that I had allergies......after a bite or two I realized there was something on it so I diidn't eat it....but those few bites made things worse! My gut is raw and sour and swollen. I was so bloated I took some Mylanta extra strength. there are several types out there so you have to read the labels. This one is gluten-free and it seems to help with the gut distention. I am less bloated so it helped in that respect but the pain is another story. I'm not sure what I will take or if anthything will help at this point but if the motrin helps and doesn't make things worse...go for it. I can't take it as it irritates the heck out of me. hope you feel better soon...........i know how awful it is!

Antihistamines huh, what do they do to elevate the pain? Today is day 5 of this spell, and the pain is just starting to subside. Next time, I wish there never was a next time, I will give antihistamines a try. thanks for the advise.

I would lay off the Motrin if you're bloated. I used to take it all the time until I realized it was part of the problem, and ibuprophen products are not recommended for people with intestinal problems anyway. I think Tylenol is a safer choice, or a product meant specifically for the gut. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if Motrin is gluten-free.

Can you guys tell me more about your pain when you get gluten? I ate at a restraunt last Saturday and have been sick all week...was bloated for about 2 1/2 days with gut pain around my ribs and down, especially on the right side (both upper and lower) but alternately all over my stomach area. Also had D worse than usual although not consistantly. It seems to be getting better, today I'm less sore but UGH! It was awful! Plus I was achy and really grumpy and tired. I didn't take anything because last time I did it seemed to make it worse.

Does this sound like a gluten reaction to you? Or did I get some kind of flu on top of it? It's not like I ate a slice of toast at the restraunt or something...this was just some eggs, hashbrowns and bacon. But I admit I didn't ask about the gluten content, so I guess anything could have been in it.

Last time I'll do *that* for awhile!

Could be a gluten reaction. There may have been gluten in the hash browns as most have flour, you definately have to ask before ordering. What I tell the waitperson is that I am allergic to wheat products, they usually understand that. What ever I pick off the menu I always have them ask the cook, just to be sure. Because something you would think should be safe may not be. Better to ask.

My pain ended Saturday, five days later. My pain is also all over in the stomach area. Up high, under the ribs and right below my belly button. It is such a relief when it ends, I can get back to my life. I'm actually thinking now that I got contaminated from the toaster over. Just something I happened to read in an article about celiac's. So as a precaution, my husband and I will use seperate toester from now on.

As far as the motrin, I think next time - hope it's a long time from now - I will try tylenol for the pain.