Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Cereal

16 posts in this topic

Hey! My question is abut gluten-free cereal. I have been eating gluten-free cornflakes or Gorilla Munch ever since I found out I have Celiac Disease. I haven't found anything else that I like. My FAVORITE cereal before Celiac Disease was shredded wheat. Why is it NOT possible to find a gluten-free cereal made into a shredded wheat type of texture? Or I would even be happy with a cereal made of corn that tasted like Cinnamon LIFE. I don't understand why we can't have a bigger cereal selection.

Also, another question. Has anyone tried the new Coconut Milk Ice Cream made by So Delicious?? Native Sun has the yogurt (which I don't think is gluten free), but I can't find the Ice Cream anywhere. I'm dying to know if anyone has tried it, and how they like it. Thanks!!

Ads by Google:

It's all about texture in cereal, isn't it.

I'm currently eating Rice Chex and adding some shredded coconut to it (the large shreds - I get it at Whole Foods). Not exactly like shredded wheat, but still a nice texture. You have to eat it quickly because the Rice Chex will get soggy much faster than shredded wheat will, and to help it stay crispy I only use enough milk to wet but not soak.

For a more crunchy, granola like texture, I add Nutty Rice cereal by Perky's, along with the coconut and some raisins, or maybe dried cranberries.

Coconut milk ice cream???? Ooooh, that should be good! Non dairy??? (hope, hope)

Hey! My question is abut gluten-free cereal. I have been eating gluten-free cornflakes or Gorilla Munch ever since I found out I have Celiac Disease. I haven't found anything else that I like. My FAVORITE cereal before Celiac Disease was shredded wheat. Why is it NOT possible to find a gluten-free cereal made into a shredded wheat type of texture? Or I would even be happy with a cereal made of corn that tasted like Cinnamon LIFE. I don't understand why we can't have a bigger cereal selection.

Also, another question. Has anyone tried the new Coconut Milk Ice Cream made by So Delicious?? Native Sun has the yogurt (which I don't think is gluten free), but I can't find the Ice Cream anywhere. I'm dying to know if anyone has tried it, and how they like it. Thanks!!

I'm actually not sure what Cinnamon Life tastes like but Cinnamon Amaranth Snaps taste alot like Cinnamon Toast Crunch without all the sugar :D

This is slightly off topic, but not really...

... but I noticed that if you put Rice Chex into your ice-cream or other frozen dessert, it tastes just like an ice cream cone, and it's really, really good.

Then if you make a Sundae with a couple of scoops, plus banana slices, chocolate syrup, nuts or coconut or whatever sprinkled on top, and you add the Rice Chex, you get something like an ice cream cone Sundae... and it's really, really good.

I've also made something like the Chex party mix... adding gluten-free pretzels.

I eat a lot of Rice Chex, but I never eat a bowl of cereal!!!

I like Rice Chex and the peanut butter Puffins. My son is Gluten free and loves both as well.

Thanks for the Rice Chex advice. I'll try that this weekend w/ ice cream.

DD hasn't had an ice cream "cone" since she was dxd and I was going to try my hand at a homemade sundae bowl cone this weekend.

I hope you report back how that ice cream bowl thing turns out for your DD.

I saw gluten-free ice cream cones in the health food store one time... I don't remember the brand name, was tempted to buy, but the cost was absolutely outrageous.

I keep dreaming of a way that Rice Chex could somehow be pressed together and rolled into an ice cream cone... but... ??????

I'd like to get a waffle cone making machine and learn to make my own gluten-free ice cream cones, someday. REally, to me, the Rice Chex taste so much like I remember ice cream cones tasting it's unbelieveable... if only they could be mashed into a flat shape, pressed together in some waffle cone maker, and would dry out to a crisp cone... guess I dream pretty BIG, hey????? :lol:

When I first saw the title I didn't realize ya'll were talking only cold cereal, but I'll stick my 2 cents in anyway! I love eating sweetened quinoa or corn meal or even a mix as a hot cereal replacement. A little brown sugar, cinnamon, and if I'm feeling daring, a handful of raisins, and it's just as good as the Quaker Oats stuff. The trick is that you MUST soak the quinoa or at least bring to a boil, swish around, and discard the water and start over. You can get away without soaking quinoa in other dishes, especially savory ones, but this needs it to be mild and you can't skip it. :) bon appetit!

My daughter likes Trix, Fruity and Coca Pebbles, and some chocolate cereal in a bag put out by Safeway. I want to say Cocoa Astros or something like that.

She has tried the coconut yogurt by So Delicous and loves the vanilla and raspberry. For a frozen dessert, she likes Coconut Bliss.

I like Purely Decadent it is made with coconut milk yes it is df their cookie dough flavor is even gluten-free :D

www.purelydecadent.com

Purely Decadent cookie dough is awesome, especially melting over a bowl of hot apple crisp...

Or with a dollop of peanut butter. But I say that about everything.

Anyone still out there? Is Perky's Nutty Rice free of CC issues?

Thanks,

lisa

I found this yummy cereal! It calls itself a granola, but it's got rice flakes,dried fruit bits, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, almonds, sesame seeds, pecans and its sweetened with raisin juice concentrate, honey and cranberry. It's Gluten free, Wheat free, Trans Fat free, Dairy free, Cholesterol free, Low in saturated Fat, low in Sodium and Casein Free. It's delicious! It's called "Nutty Cranberry Maple Granola" and it's made by "Bakery on Main". I found it in my local health food store. Once I fell in love with it, I discovered I could order it online at "www.bakeryonmain.com" Happy eating.

Susan :)

The same company that makes Gorilla Munch, makes Peanut Butter Panda Puffs (corn puffs) and Whole O's (looks like cheerios) they are all made at gluten free facilities. I can find them at most my local grocery stores in the southern US. They are awesome!

I also love Rice Chex and Corn Chex!

I keep the Purely Decadent ice cream in cookie dough on hand most the time, with Eddy's slow churned chocolate too!

I am super sensitive but have found that I can eat only the unflavored chex, kix, berry kix, our local grocery store's fruity rice and the cookie crisp sprinkles..

cereal is my most favorite part of the day..so I am happy that I am able to eat some of the cereals...