5 replies to this topic

#1 sixdogssixcats

sixdogssixcats

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

We're still fairly new to celiac and haven't tried a whole lot of different brands and products. We have noticed a distinctly "tinny" or metallic taste in the gluten-free breads we've made. At first we thought it was from the brand new bread machine and would eventually go away with use. I have only made breads in it that are primarily rice flour. However, we then noticed the same taste in the Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix, for which I did not use the bread machine. We've noticed it several times, in fact. Since the main ingredient in the pizza crust mix is rice flour and the brand of plain rice flour I've been buying is Bob's Red Mill, I'm wondering ... does all rice flour have a "tinny" taste? Is it only Bob's Red Mill rice flour? Could it be something else altogether? Rhetorical question -- of course, it could be, but rice flour seems to be the common denominator.

Has anyone else noticed a taste like this? My family has individually commented on it so I know it's not just me. Thanks.
Lesley
Mom of Catherine - 01/18/05 (Celiac, Reflux, Psoriasis)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

We're still fairly new to celiac and haven't tried a whole lot of different brands and products. We have noticed a distinctly "tinny" or metallic taste in the gluten-free breads we've made. At first we thought it was from the brand new bread machine and would eventually go away with use. I have only made breads in it that are primarily rice flour. However, we then noticed the same taste in the Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix, for which I did not use the bread machine. We've noticed it several times, in fact. Since the main ingredient in the pizza crust mix is rice flour and the brand of plain rice flour I've been buying is Bob's Red Mill, I'm wondering ... does all rice flour have a "tinny" taste? Is it only Bob's Red Mill rice flour? Could it be something else altogether? Rhetorical question -- of course, it could be, but rice flour seems to be the common denominator.

Has anyone else noticed a taste like this? My family has individually commented on it so I know it's not just me. Thanks.

Actually, if you're using Bob's mixes, it's probably the BEAN flour in them, not the rice flour, that's giving you that taste. A number of people find it distasteful, as do I.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 sixdogssixcats

sixdogssixcats

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

The breads we've made using bean flour as one of the flours were not good. We like beans, but not bean-flavored bread. The bread I make most often does not have bean flour in it, and it's not a mix. I don't think I noticed bean flour in the pizza crust mix either, but I could have overlooked it. Hmmmm ....
Lesley
Mom of Catherine - 01/18/05 (Celiac, Reflux, Psoriasis)

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

The breads we've made using bean flour as one of the flours were not good. We like beans, but not bean-flavored bread. The bread I make most often does not have bean flour in it, and it's not a mix. I don't think I noticed bean flour in the pizza crust mix either, but I could have overlooked it. Hmmmm ....

In that case, you may simply not really agree with the taste of rice flour yet. You might try using half sorghum flour in whatever recipe you're using, I find that it has the taste closest to wheat. 1/4 of the recipe buckwheat flour always adds a lovely flavor, but will make what you're baking a bit heavier, so not good for cakes.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Actually, if you're using Bob's mixes, it's probably the BEAN flour in them, not the rice flour, that's giving you that taste. A number of people find it distasteful, as do I.

I don't like the bean flour either but Bob's flour mix (bean) makes really good waffles.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

I have not used the Bob's mixes and have not noticed a tinny taste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: