This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lots Of Stress

newceliac

newceliac Enthusiast

I haven't posted in a while but I guess I just need a little advice or reassurance.

The past few months, my stomach seems to be in a constant turmoil. Even when I know that I have not accidentally consumed gluten, etc....I am having lots of stomach cramping, gas , etc. Can stress cause problems that mimic celiac symptoms or cause celiac symptoms to flare up.

I went back to the gastro dr. a couple of months ago regarding these continued symptoms and he didn't seem too concerned. He thought maybe constipation was causing the problems and he prescribed meds for the stomach cramping.

Here is a synopsis of my last couple of months and you will see there has been a fair amount of stress.

1) My son graduated from college in May and he started Physical Therapy school in Alabama in August. My summer was spent helping him find an apt., get everything in line to move in and then move him in. He is two states away so I guess I miss him. It's like the empty nest grew bigger.

2) I live in Louisiana and work for the Dept. of Social Services. When Hurricane Gustav began to threaten Louisiana in August, I was sent to work at a shelter in Shreveport which housed 2000 evacuees that were bused in from New Orleans. I had to work 5 days of 12 hours shifts daily. Needless to say, it was 5 days of h___. Most of the evacuees were very unappreciative and demanding and the days were so long. They had several fights and arrests. I was away from home, therefore staying at a hotel.

As soon as I was relieved to return home, our state activated a disaster food stamp program to assist the parishes most affected by the hurricane. So, I still have not had a day off and now I return home to continue working 12+ hour shifts 7 days week. My parish was not a disaster parish, but we took turns driving to a neighboring parish to assist them.

3) Just as we are in the middle of this, Hurricane Ike rears it's ugly head. Finally, on Friday, Sept. 12 I got a day off....but not for pleasure. But the day off was to prepare for a hurricane that was headed to our side of the state. Once the hurricane passed we immediately returned to work the following day. Now the parish I live in is considered a disaster food stamp parish for Ike, so we start distributing these on Friday......still working 12+ hour shifts 7 days week. This is a very stressful process as you may have well over 1000-2000 people daily applying.

I just don't know how much more I can take. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I caught a virus when working in the shelter. I have been sick now for 2 weeks and can't shake it off. I have been coughing, feeling bad, no energy and my body isn't doing very well at healing. Finally, got some meds from dr.

I know this is a long story but I needed to vent.

My question is my stomach hasn't felt good for over 2 months now. Sometimes as I am eating, my stomach will start cramping. I get gassy frequently. I have been having a pain regularly on the left side between the top of hip (pelvic bone) bone and bottom of my rib cage and sometime it curves around about 1-2 inches into the back. Could this be celiac or something else? I guess I just get scared I could have colon cancer or something serious. I had a colonoscopy 9 years ago and they said that since it was normal, I should be OK. All I want is to have a normal stomach and not constantly worry about when it will start hurting and why it is hurting. Has anyone else ever had symptoms worsen with stress?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice

Stress can definitely worsen symptoms. In that case really the solution is to try to do something about the stress, but it sounds like you're not in a position to do that easily.

Maybe other people will have ideas. I just want to say thank you for the important work you're doing, I know it won't make it any less stressful for you right now but my hat's off to you. Wow. It's easy to forget natural disasters also affect the people who try to help the victims.

I hope things quiet down soon so you can get some rest!

Pauliina

mftnchn Explorer

Can you say a little more about your situation? Were you clearly diagnosed as celiac and when did you go gluten-free? Did you have a total clearing of symptoms before the recent problems? Did you have check ups on your levels or further malabsorption tests that showed you were healing?

That said, yes stress can impact us greatly. We are "whole" people, we don't have such clear distinctions between the parts of ourselves that western ideas of thought have led us to believe.

Now if you are celiac, and you haven't had a total healing in spite of months of strict gluten-free, then I think there is for sure something further going on.

I have had this problem too, although my symptoms were less digestive and more fatigue, pain, and brain fog. After almost a year of gluten-free, I was still deficient in many nutrients, and continued with the symptoms which came in cycles, even though the constipation/elmination problems were much better. Lots of supplementation still didn't stop the cycles, nor did treating my lyme disease with different approaches. Finally testing showed I was not able to break down carbohydrates (damage from celiac probably) and the villi couldn't make the enzymes, at least not yet. Doctor put me on SCD in mid July and I am so far MUCH better.

Post some more...I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.

newceliac Enthusiast

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in Sept. 2007. I started feeling better in the beginning and a lot of my other symptoms that were not digestive cleared up. I still had some lingering digestive problems and had a test to determine I was also casein intolerant.

I was beginning to keep a food diary when all the stressors started, however now with my busy schedule, I don't have time for all meals much less keeping a food diary.

I just want the stomach issues to subside and I am not sure if something else is going on or if my tummy is just under so much stress.

mftnchn.....what is SCD?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I was diagnosed with celiac disease in Sept. 2007. I started feeling better in the beginning and a lot of my other symptoms that were not digestive cleared up. I still had some lingering digestive problems and had a test to determine I was also casein intolerant.

I was beginning to keep a food diary when all the stressors started, however now with my busy schedule, I don't have time for all meals much less keeping a food diary.

I just want the stomach issues to subside and I am not sure if something else is going on or if my tummy is just under so much stress.

mftnchn.....what is SCD?

When I get really stressed, my tummy freaks out too. I know it seems overkill, but maybe you could try getting a massage or two in your much-deserved time off? And you need some Vit C baby! Help kill that cold.

Archived