#1 mela14

mela14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:16 AM

Yestersay was the day from hell!

I am moving and was doing a lot of running around with last minute things My flight is today at 5:00pm. I had some blood drawn yesterday and thought is was safe to eat some Lays Potatoe chips........I had the plain ones that said potatoes, cottonseed,safflower and/or sunflower, oil, salt. A half hour later I felt sick...racing heart, dizzy, trembling, sour tummy, soreness and then the bloating. I felt really weak and felt as if I need to lay down...but the moving truck was here and that was not an option.
For whatever reasons we got stuck going to dinner to a place we normally go adn thought it would be ok. I could hardly eat because I wsa so sore and swollen.....but pulled myself together to go anyway. I had a plain salad ...no dressing (very little) white rice (very little) and plain grilled chicken...... after 2 bites it didn't taste right and I new they added some sort of seasoning so I didn't eat it! by the time we left to go the pain was worse along with the bloating and then a headache started! I Took extras trength mylanta to help with the gas......the one that is supposedly gluten-free. I checked the labels on all of them and got his one and it has worked ok in the past.
Needless to say I am soooooooo sick today and soooooo sore and need to pull myself together for this flight and trip ahead of me. I have to do it solo with my dog as my husband is driving! What timing!
What's the story with the Lays chips? I thought the were safe. could i have reacted to the oils in them or do you think they were contaminated? Not sure what o think anymore....but if it hadn't been for the chips I think I could have handled the dinner a little better. It was like adding salt to a wound!
I'm sick of all this! I feel like i want to close myself in my room and not go anywhere... I could sleep adn was up a few times during th night partly because of my gut and partly because of sinus allergy headache! uuuuuuuuugghhhhhhhhhh
any thoughts on the chips???
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:17 AM

just checking to see if this post got on. yesterday it did not!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:23 AM

The chips are manufactured in the same facility as gluten containing products. They throughly wash in between though. There is a risk for cross contamination. Last time that I checked there were certain chips actually made on a dedicated gluten-free line. If you had a reaction though do not eat them. I can have the chips with no problem at all and I am very sensitive to gluten however I know people that have had reactions.
And your post did get on yesterday under the product section. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:30 AM

:o i have never reacted to lays chips--i guess i am maybe one of the lucky ones that find the bag that is safe--it does worry me though, cause i have always eaten them and felt safe--now i dont know anymore--i do react very quickly to gluten and they have never bothered me---mela--are you moving to new jersey now--what a time to leave warm florida for snow covered jersey :lol: good luck mela---deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:49 AM

I used to eat lays but I got into a few bad batch which obviously had gluten and got really sick. I don't trust them so I don't eat them!
Lays = Blah
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:22 AM

thanks guys................
I'll never eat those chips again!!! I guess I am ultra sensitive. I am so depressed and tired with all this. I just had a banana to settle my tummy .They seem to like me ...thank god! my husband is leaving the house with the truck in a little while and he'll be taking the lap top. sooooooo I won't be on for a while. I'll be flying this afternoon so I'll be at JFK tonight around 8:30 if all goes according to schedule! Thanks for the heads up on the snow Deb...but I gotta tell you...it will be a welcome change from all the mold and allergies right now! I know that when April rolls around I'll be dealing with the allergies up there!

Thanks for your help guys. It had to be the Lays yesterday. It was THE only thing I ate and I got sick immediately after.
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

#7 griffithkat

griffithkat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:46 AM

I tried eating Lays. It only took like 10 minutes and they made me sick. I will never eat them again.

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:47 AM

:o i have never reacted to lays chips--i guess i am maybe one of the lucky ones that find the bag that is safe--it does worry me though, cause i have always eaten them and felt safe--now i dont know anymore--i do react very quickly to gluten and they have never bothered me---mela--are you moving to new jersey now--what a time to leave warm florida for snow covered jersey :lol: good luck mela---deb

I, like Deb, don't react to them, but I'm concerned by all this talk of reactions. Are there any....safer brands that someone could recommend?--ones that aren't organic and found in a healthfood store, that is :lol:

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

I, as well, do not react to these chips. They have some chips on a dedicated gluten-free line as well. Could there be a possibility of something else in the chips causing a reaction other then a gluten reaction that just everybody does not react to such as MSG(found in alot of chips) or stuff like that? It is concerning to see so many people reacting to these chips and I'm trying to see if there is a correlation with anything other then gluten. I do realize that for some of their chips there are risks for contamination so I am not trying to say it's not a gluten reaction because I only know how I feel not how all of you feel. I just have a theory that maybe it could be other then gluten? Tell me what you think about that
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:43 PM

For me, it's not just Lay's brand chips anymore. I can't eat any brand packaged chips and I steer clear of potato as much as possible too. I haven't been able to eat potato for over a year without getting a lot of pain and bloating. :angry:
Is the reaction just with Lay's or with other brands too?

We can get sweet potato chips here in Oz. Maybe they're better (?) :huh:
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#11 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

I never eat them due to the cross-contamination.

#12 dperk

dperk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:31 AM

I've noticed a reaction to potatoe chips and all potatoes. I haven't been able to eat potatoes for months. So is it potatoes, or some cross contamination with the potatoe chips? I just know that I am staying away from potatoe chips after having stomach trouble shortly after eating them (tried it several times, too). And the stomach pains/bloating lasted for about half a day.
Debbie

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:31 AM

The only chips I eat are Humpty Dumpty Corn Chips. I eat them all the time with Old EL Paso salsa and I have never reacted to either.
I have never reacted to Humpty Dumpty Salt and Vinegar or Humpty Dumpty Ketchup but I haven't had those in months (Just a healthy choice I guess!)
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#14 abby82

abby82

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:58 AM

I have a question for voteforpresbush04....do you remember what lays chips were made on dedicated gluten-free lines? I just started the gluten-free diet about 5 days ago and I have been eating them. I havent had any problems but I want to be as gluten free as I can get! I usually eat the baked lays, ruffles and tostitos. Thanks!

#15 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:04 AM

Richard (lovegrov) said that when he last called the Lays Classic, Ruffles, and I can't remember which other ones--were made on dedicated lines--according to a dietician from FritoLays--I don't think that the Baked Lays were on that list.

This was in a different potato chip post about reactions....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: