27 replies to this topic

#16 billfl

billfl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:06 AM

I eat "Tropical Chips", which are made from plantains....they are 100% natural and no preservatives (so it says on the package). Plantains look like bananas, but have to be cooked before eating. The ingredients list says that they are cooked in sunflower oil and/or rice bran oil and/or corn oil. They are available in "regular" stores.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:12 AM

Utz brand has gluten-free chips. They are just potatos, salt, and oil (from what I remember since I only eatthem when up north or when we have them shpped down here.).

They are yummie, too.

#18 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:44 AM

abby82-Classic,Ruffles, and Staxx are made on gluten free lines now is what I have heard from various sources and I haven't got sick from them either and I am very sensitive to them so I consider them safe. Richard also has said that from a Lay's dietician he heard they were also on a dedicated line and that is not the first time I have heard that. On the Staxx chips they have "this product is naturally free of gluten" on the side too.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#19 megzmc3611

megzmc3611

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:19 PM

Has anyone had a bad reaction to Tostitos (Frito-lay brand) and or know if they are produced on a dedicated line??
Megan
Diagnosed Celiac in Feb 2004
Boston, MA

#20 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:22 PM

I have never had a reaction to the Tostitos. I have never had a reaction to the gluten free stuff from frito lay. Not sure if they are made on a dedicated line.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#21 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:51 AM

Ruffles has a new kind of chip out and I have not had too many problems with those and I am pretty sensitive. They are Ruffles Sea Salted Reduced Fat and you can find them in the health food section of the regular grocery store - they are made with sunflower oil. Also, I can go for weeks without finding them so now, when they do get them in, I will buy 4-5 bags at a time.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#22 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:02 PM

kabowman-I know which chips you are talking about. They are really good and they are alot healthier for you to because of the ingredients yet they have the same taste as other Ruffles. I have not had a reaction to those either :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#23 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:52 AM

At last report Tostitios were not made on dedicated lines.

richard

#24 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:58 AM

I recall severall times having pain in my intestines while munching Lays plain potatoe chips and drinking pepsi while traveling in a car. Just pain though, no diarrhea and other celiac symptoms. First I was thinking about the cross-contamination with Lays. But a couple of days ago I figured out though, that some kinds of sugars give me pain in my intestines. I posted it on another thread already. So I tried the same Lays plain potatoe chips with water and I didn't have problems anymore.

I think, once in a while you could catch a bag with gluten though, due to the cross-contamination. So be carefull, guys.

Ah, another thing, I recall reading a couple of years ago. It just popped in my head. The stress-top-10-list on things that can cause you a lot of stress. On number one was: the death of your spouse. And I think number 4 of this hitlist was: moving. And stress can make symptoms of celiac disease worse or sometimes even trigger this disease. So you might want to consider that, additionally, probably. I don't know, just thought, I share this. Mel, I hope you're better. Hey, you move to New Jersey? I live in PA.

Hugs, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#25 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

mela14 -- Hi I suffer from the same thing. NO potatoes at all anymore!!!

I was told by a nurse that [some of us] can NOT process RICE, CORN & POTATOES. Because it's some sort of carb. I found this to be true following my last flare up.

If you notice my profile following understanding the celiac illness I was faced with - I instantly went on a strict GLUTEN FREE - DAIRY FREE strick diet. It only took me a few months to feel better, for 3 or 4 years and got healhty. It worked, however; I ate rice, corn and potatoes (+ rice cakes & gourmet veggie Tarra chips, yummy, Fredos corn chips too). Then following unbelieveable major stress I had a big bad fare up, but that is when I developed this thyroid problem that is now making me super ill.

A nurse turned me on to a great book -- "BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE - Intestinal Health Though Diet - by ELAINE GOTTSCHALL B.A., M.Sc." You can find it in Amazon or online Barns & Noble. It was helpful for me to understand more about Celica Disease. It's worth reading, in addition she lists some really good yummy recipes.

NOTE: I'm dairy intolerent since birth. I can't do the dairy recipes. This encludes EGGS too! So I have the untimate challange with all of this, and now with my thyroid out of whack and NOT on thyroid meds (yet) I'm staying away from iodine producing foods as well. (I have an appointment with the thyroid doc next week.) I'm hyperthyroid one minute and hypo the next. I think my body is try to balance itself out but might have produced another nodule, or the treatment didn't burn it off?

mela14 - Try to stay away from the potatoes of all kind and see if that will help. Oh and get the book too. The nurse told me once I got better, after following the book direction, try to reintroduce these different foods and through process of elimination slowly.

Good Luck -- I hope this helps and God Bless you!

#26 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

Interesting thread. I have been unable to eat potatoes for nearly 6 years now. I get reactions to them and all other nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, kava kava, etc) that are similar to my reaction to gluten - constipated, not diahrrea. Feels like my stomach and intestines are inflamed and hurt like they are very sunburned. Takes a couple of days to go away. Also migraines.

I was glutened recently and I couldn't tell if it was gluten or nigthshade ingestion at first. But then reviewed better what I ate and figured it out.

The only connection I have found is in the list on the Entero Lab web site - aparantly nightshade foods stimulate the immune reaction, and since gluten stimulates the auto-immune reaction, I wonder if there's a common ground here for more people. It's hard to find info about nightshade reactions though so I can't really explain why it happens, as I can a gluten reaction. Suffice to say it is not fun and makes me very ill.

Anyway, so it's possible it is the potato in the chips. I eat Terra chips now - the mixed veggie kind and the sweet potato kind, as sweet potato is not related to regular potato.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#27 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for all your responses. I wish I could say that I felt better..........but I just don't. Between the fatigue, muscle pain, racing heart and of course the gut pain I don't know what to do to feel better.
I went to Columbia Presbyterian yesterday and saw Ann Lee and Dr Susie Lee. Both very knowledgable. I felt I was in good hands. A lot was discussed and we are going to do an endoscopy this friday morning at the hospital.
At first Dr Lee wanted me to do a Gluten challenge but I told her that I don't want to eat gluten for 2 weeks knowing how sick I could get. We decided to take a look inside even though I have been attempting gluten-free for about 4 months. I know this problem has been going on for a long time so maybe she will be abel to see something. At first I didn't want to do it because I fear them finding nothing and then appearing like a lunatic. Then I rationalized with myself. I feel better when I don't eat gluten. So regardless of what the biopsy shows I will not be going back to it. The dr also said that if I was not celiac it could be that being gluten-free just helped as it does so many other things like Crohn's....
So far being gluten-free has not been the cure all I dreamed of. So many other things bother me and it has been so hard to figure out. I've discovered that potatoes do me in ...sweet potatoes too! I used to always blamed it on something else that I had with the meal but then tried just eating a sweet potatoe and nothing else. Well 20 minutes later I was sooooooo sick. It happened a few times in one week and I was convinced! I no longer eat potatoes and have actually been avoiding all grains.
Ann Lee is the nutrionist and was more convinced than dr Lee that I had celiac. she immediately gave me info and tried to help with my diet. Today was an awful day....I took a Garlic supplement that I checked out and thought was safe. I took it on mon and seemed fine. Well today it did me in. my gut has been raw and burning all day....and not to be graphinc but something must have inflamed my nerve endings because after a BM the burning intensified and got worse all day. I feel like someone poured battery acid on me!
Needless to say...my appetite is always good and i had a nice dinner. Now I am so bloated and still suffering.
let's see what happens fri.

thanks,
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#28 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:28 PM

mela14 -- I also had a total hysterectomy about 10 years ago at a very young age (30's) I took hormone replacement through a little patch I wore on my fanny or tummy. I also had many gyno surgeries and suffered my entire life with endometriosis too. My Gyno doc by accident gave me a double dose of patches I wore for about a month prior to >>> I peeled off the patch at the same time I came down with my very first violent attack of celiac sprue 4-year ago and at the same time was under the most unbelieveable stress a human being can endure.

I have done some research that women who are post total hysterectomy have a higher rate of thyroid problem then any other illness. My gyno doc (a lady) said it's my thyroid making me ill giving me sprue. My throid doc (a lady) doesn't agree. It can all be confusing. We have to some how tune in and listen to our bodies I guess?

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? What are your other symptons? I felt like a motor was running when I was horizontal, hot or cold hyper or slow at times...

I can't do Garlic supplement it sets me over the edge too. If you would like I will share with you some of my symtons too. Just let me know.

Sending you well wishes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: