This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bike 11 Miles A Day And Still A Gut

Tykes

Tykes Rookie

AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been biking 11 or more miles a day, pulling a trailer with a three year old in it - up hills and against the wind -and no difference in my waist. Geez! Any suggestions. I hear black tea helps. It's true - like someone else posted - that I am a different size by 2 or 3 o'clock even when I've been good. I am so frustrated. I only go to the bathroom once every couple of days - and if I've had gluton I retain water terribly - but I've been Really really good - I think - and still, no change around my waist.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

How many calories are you consuming in a day. If you are only having a BM evey few days, are you drinking enough water, getting at least 25g fiber a day (preferably more...)? Just a few ideas.

MDRB Explorer

Hi,

I agree with what was said about your BMs and would definitely look at the water/fiber suggestions.

Also I would try sit ups, they are hard work but they work, and anything that twists your waist,like stretches or maybe some aerobic. Its always good to mix up your exercise otherwise you end up with one part of your body (if your cycling it will be your legs/thighs) but other muscles remain unworked.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Start cooking with pure virgin Coconut oil and using it in smoothies a least 2 Tlb a day.

Get your Thyroid checked. Full thyroid panel with antibodies. Ask your doctor for the blood work.

Drink...drink....drink....water....water....water.

Eat foods high in fiber like LOTS of veggies and some fruit.

lorka150 Collaborator
AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been biking 11 or more miles a day, pulling a trailer with a three year old in it - up hills and against the wind -and no difference in my waist. Geez! Any suggestions. I hear black tea helps. It's true - like someone else posted - that I am a different size by 2 or 3 o'clock even when I've been good. I am so frustrated. I only go to the bathroom once every couple of days - and if I've had gluton I retain water terribly - but I've been Really really good - I think - and still, no change around my waist.

Are you strength training? Eating properly? Only biking? Doing the same route daily? There are a lot of factors to gaining muscle, and losing fat. I can help you with some specifics if you want - I'm a personal trainer, and can offer you some advice if you want to explore your options.

msmini14 Enthusiast
Are you strength training? Eating properly? Only biking? Doing the same route daily? There are a lot of factors to gaining muscle, and losing fat. I can help you with some specifics if you want - I'm a personal trainer, and can offer you some advice if you want to explore your options.

How many calories should I be consuming if I run 4 miles 5 times (try to anyway) a week and strength training 3x times a week? hehe you offered help and I would love some advice, not sure if I am eating enough.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
How many calories should I be consuming if I run 4 miles 5 times (try to anyway) a week and strength training 3x times a week? hehe you offered help and I would love some advice, not sure if I am eating enough.

What's your height and weight? That can help me give you an approximate #. I'm 5'11 and I work out about 6 days a week. If I'm trying to lose, then I'll keep it around 1600 calories. If i'm trying to maintain, then closer to 2000. My martial art classes burn around 800 calories per hour (2-3x week) strength train 2-3x week, pilates/yoga 2x week, and somthing else cardio (like treadmill 7% incline at 4.2mph for about 45 minutes)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 weeks later...
Maryruth1035 Newbie

I used to bike up to 30 miles a day and still stayed over weight as long as I ate as much as I wanted. The reality is that you need to find out how many calories you are taking in and how many you are burning. If you take in the same amount of calories that you burn, you will not loose weight. Bummer, huh? I found that a low carbohydrate diet (there are many out there--I used South Beach for a while and then switched to the Protein Power Life plan, which worked better for my lifestyle) did the trick for me--but I had to be disciplined. It also helped that my husband and I both needed to loose about 35 pounds--we did the diet together and weighed in regularly to see who was loosing faster (based on % of beginning body weight.)

Also--it is a myth that you can loose fat from a specific area of your body by exercising that part of the body more. Although you can build up muscle in those areas by specific exercises, and can therefor increase muscle tone in those areas, if your mid-section is too big, toning alone won't take the fat away. As you begin to burn fat, the fat comes out of all of your fat stores--all over the body, not just from those in your tummy because you do more crunches...On the other hand, as you begin to burn fat, most areas of your body will get smaller--sometimes even those parts you wish you wouldn't loose from!

Unfortunately there really is no solution than to begin to count calories if you are close to your ideal weight! (If you are far above your ideal body weight, the low-carb diet lets you have more calories and still loose weight somehow. When we first started on the low carb diet we pretty much ate as much as we wanted and still lost weight as long as we restricted carbs of any kind to a minimum (getting most of our carbs from fresh whole fruit and veggies), but once we got down to within 5-10 lbs. of our goals, we had to start watching calories as well. As the Dr.s Eades say in their Protein Power Life Plan book, if you eat 1000 extra calories of oil or nuts, you are NOT going to loose weight! And, if you can get a partner to join you--it is MUCH easier.

Finally, there are many sites that will help you calculate (easily) your BMI (Basil Metabolic Rate) which is the amount of calories you'd burn if you just relaxed all day. Add to this number the number of calories you burn in exercise during the day and that gives you an estimate of the the total number of calories you may have in a day and not gain weight. So--if you consistently eat slightly below that number, you will steadily loose weight.

Bottom line is, there are many diets that people choose, we just preferred the low carb because it was less-restrictive and you didn't have to count calories (until you're within 10 lbs of your goal). Most low-carb diets (NOT Atkins which is No carb, but lower carb) out there are similar in that they all restrict carb intake (carbs are anything white=bread, white rice, white potatoes, sugar plus the starchier veggies) and the research is pretty clear that if you can commit to the lifestyle change, they work long-term for most people. We liked it because you still eat healthy, focussing on whole grains, colorful veggies & protein rich foods (& you still get to have fruit in limited quantities). And the first place you begin to loose inches on the low carb diet is the mid-section! Hurrah! and good luck.

Archived