27 replies to this topic

#16 Jodie2DQ2

Jodie2DQ2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

I am sorry. It is www.glutenfreedrugs.com that I have the list for medications and such. And yes Nasonex is on there. Jodie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

Oops, I wasn't paying close attention. I was talking about glutenfreedrugs.com, not glutenfreemeds.com. Yes, glutenfreemeds obviously is not actually being taken care of by anybody. However, Nasonex is listed as gluten-free at glutenfreedrugs as well.

richard

OK. That can explain a lot. If enough people mistakenly type in the wrong address, the site gets enough hits, and that's all they care about. There are domain names which are purposely misspelled to take advantage of typos too.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#18 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

I am sorry. It is www.glutenfreedrugs.com that I have the list for medications and such. And yes Nasonex is on there. Jodie

The pharmacist who maintains the page has his contact info on there. Contact him with what you have learned.

Its hard to keep up with it - it may have been gluten free when he verified it.

#19 Lukalovescats

Lukalovescats

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

I spoke with someone from Nasonex today. What they told me is that they don't add any gluten and the ingredients they use don't contain gluten. That being said.... the ingredients come from other places and they have no guarantee of cross contamination from those sources. So they won't state that their products are gluten free. Most likely you won't get a reaction, however, I've had a reaction from a product that was manufactured on equipment that processed wheat.

#20 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

Most likely you won't get a reaction....

However, I did get a reaction. Apparently the incidence of cross contamination is real and probable with this product.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#21 Lukalovescats

Lukalovescats

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

Right there with you. We won't be using it in our house anymore. I'm getting so tired of playing Russian Roulette with food and meds. Try to be so carefu, but....

#22 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

This makes me so mad!!! I just posted about Provigil having gluten too. what can we do to either get drug companies to stop using allergens or at least disclose that they contain gluten so you don't take it. If foods have to be labeled with allergens, why not drugs ESPECIALLY?

If anyone has any ideas about this, let me know.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#23 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

. I'm getting so tired of playing Russian Roulette with food and meds. Try to be so carefu, but....

That's why I've come to rely more and more on this forum. Some are really good with research and post their findings. Others find out the hard way (like me with this product) and also post their results.

I don't know how celiacs managed before the internet and these kind of resources. Made a LOT of phone calls, I expect.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#24 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:35 AM

When I called last month they said that the polysorbate 80 is made with wheat, and though they claim there is "no detectable amount of gluten in their product" they do not claim that nasacort aq is gluten free.

#25 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

When I called last month they said that the polysorbate 80 is made with wheat, and though they claim there is "no detectable amount of gluten in their product" they do not claim that nasacort aq is gluten free.

Makes perfect sense to me <_< Maybe a year or so (?) before I went gluten-free, my doctor at the time prescribed Nasonex for me and it caused pain under my ribs. At the time, I thought how odd that a nasal spray should cause that type of side effect. :unsure: :rolleyes:

I even told my doctor about it, of course she had no idea why this would happen :blink: , but switched me to something else.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#26 brigala

brigala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

My husband was recently prescribed Nasorel for a sinus infection. Nasorel is in the same family as Nasonex. He also had a suspiciously gluten-like reaction to it. The nausea was so bad he almost didn't make it through work yesterday, and was still sick this morning; he didn't take it this morning and eventually it wore off and he made it to work late. He's fine now.

Problem is, my husband is NOT a Celiac. So whatever caused the reaction was obviously not gluten, whether gluten is present or not.

I'm not at all saying that Nasonex couldn't contain gluten or that gluten couldn't be causing the reaction... only that possibly it could be something else besides gluten. I know I tend to jump to blaming gluten every time I get a little sick. But everyone gets tummy upsets, food poisoning, and other irregularities from time to time, not just glutened Celiacs.

Just a thought. :)

-Elizabeth

gluten-free since mid-2007.
Symptoms: "IBS," chronic fatigue, chronic pain. 

Celiac is a family affair for us; my mom, sister, and one of my sons are gluten free. At least it makes holiday gatherings easier. 

#27 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

My sympathies to anyone who believes they had a gluten reaction to Nasonex. Certainly I wouldn't use a product I suspected of making me sick. However, nothing in this thread, or the linked thread contains any proof whatsoever that Nasonex contains gluten. Yes, there is some anecdotal testimony. But as we all know, that doesn't mean a product contains gluten. And just because a company won't confirm anything, there's no reason to infer they are hiding something. Companies are gunshy nowadays. They are in a lose-lose position if they say anything other than "read the ingredients".

Polysorbate 80 does not contain wheat. It's made from sugar.

http://en.wikipedia..../Polysorbate_80

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#28 hermitgirl

hermitgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

My sympathies to anyone who believes they had a gluten reaction to Nasonex. Certainly I wouldn't use a product I suspected of making me sick. However, nothing in this thread, or the linked thread contains any proof whatsoever that Nasonex contains gluten. Yes, there is some anecdotal testimony. But as we all know, that doesn't mean a product contains gluten. And just because a company won't confirm anything, there's no reason to infer they are hiding something. Companies are gunshy nowadays. They are in a lose-lose position if they say anything other than "read the ingredients".

Polysorbate 80 does not contain wheat. It's made from sugar.

http://en.wikipedia..../Polysorbate_80

best regards, lm

I evidently posted in the wrong thread as I was referring to Nasacort AQ, not Nasonex.
Obviously the manufacturer does not know what they are putting in their product, as that was what they told me when I called. "Our polysorbate 80, the moisturizing agent in our spray, comes from wheat" Nasacort AQ made me sick for several days after one use, all the same symptoms of a glutening, pain, bloating, cramping, major stomach issues, constant gas, headache,as well as still suffering the heartburn days after.
My insurance won't pay for Nasonex. Still just trying to find something I can use, that is affordable and actually will help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: