This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So... I Have Celiac Disease Huh?

The Gigglah

The Gigglah Rookie
:( So after getting sick every 2 months with flu like symptoms, and having horrible stomach pains all the time, I had blood work done and was told that I have Celiac disease last Monday. I was bummed...but just let me say that reading everyones posts on this board has helped me tremendously! Still getting used to preparing meals on the go, being that I'm a divorced 31 year old guy who is always on the go. Anyone have any tips/quick receipes for a lazy single guy? Any help would be much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dandelionmom Enthusiast

I'm also a lazy 31 year old so I have lots of tips for you! ;)

Amy's Kitchen makes lots of good gluten-free frozen meals that are clearly labeled gluten-free on the front of the box. Just microwave and you're good.

Thai Kitchen makes noodle dishes (like ramen) that are labeled gluten-free. Just add hot water.

Ians gluten-free chicken nuggets, fish sticks, and corndogs are some of my kids' favorites and they're really convenient.

PF Changs and Outback are both chains that have gluten-free menus and I've had good luck eating at those places.

Keep snacks in your car. I like the Envirokids cereal bars and Lays Stacks.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I find my rice cooker to be very helpful. It has a steamer basket that I put frozen veggies and shrimp or cooked meat in that cooks at the same time as the rice. Mine came with a bunch of easy recipes. I just throw things in and then go read the paper till it's done.

gluten-free pasta with a gluten-free sauce is also quick and easy. Just use a safe sauce and you can brown some ground beef for it also. I like the Thai kitchen rice noodles, my favorite is the real thin one that is like angel hair pasta. It cooks in about 3 minutes and I will often cook some cut up boneless chicken in some olive oil and then when it is cooked I add some broccoli or another veg and lots of butter and just plop it on top of the pasta.

Gluten free pizza is another quick choice. Premade gluten-free shell some sauce and whatever you want on the top. Do check out the recipes section of the board also for some other ideas.

mymagicalchild Apprentice

We just had lunch at PF Changs and it was great. I had the gluten-free lettuce wrapped chicken, but they had 8 or 10 other items. INCLUDING gluten-free beer!

Beth in NC Contributor

Would you find Thai noodles at a traditional grocery store chain? My lazy 18 year old son is lamenting the passing of his Ramen noodles!

My son is in college, and has just been diagnosed for a couple weeks. He still eats hotdogs, just without the bun so far. Just make sure to get the gluten-free ones. He also likes the pizza shells mentioned above, with gluten-free sauce, turkey pepperoni and italian cheese. He's eating a lot of fresh fruit as well.

Mexican...at home...is pretty easy too. I asked for help preparing a mexican meal for a crowd and got great advice. You could make up a larger batch of taco meat and freeze some in single portions. Make a yummy taco salad if you want too! Chips....cheese dip....OH....1 lb velveeta cheese cut in cubes/add one can Rotel tomatoes and nuke it, stirring it till it is cheese dip! Looks gross to begin with, but was VERY good. I personally think nachos is a complete meal! :lol:

ohsotired Enthusiast

Yes, you can find Thai rice noodles at just about any grocery store chain (try "A Taste of Thai" brand), but I'm sure it would be more cost effective at an Asian market.

RE: Mexican food - Chicken or beef quesadillas are also VERY quick and easy, if you are still eating dairy products.

Grill up a few chicken breasts with your favorite gluten free seasoning, and then freeze extras for later. Shred the chicken, and spray a large skillet with nonstick spray/olive oil. Toss in one rice flour tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle on the cheese of your choice, then the shredded chicken, a little more cheese, and another tortilla. When the cheese starts to melt just a little, flip the whole thing over. Once the cheese is all melted and the tortilla has browned just a bit, pull it out of the skillet, plop it on a plate, slice like a pizza and enjoy!

The Gigglah Rookie
:) Awesome! I just checked the board this morning and was in shock at all of the replies! Thank you all so much! Everything sounds so good. Can't wait to try them all. I did'nt think that there would be any place that was half way decent to eat out....so can't wait to try Pf Changs and Outback. The Amy's TV dinner idea sounds great also!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

My hubby is a lazy, married 32 year old and loves "man food."

If you can get your hands on some Kinnickinnick pizza crusts, they make great open-faced, toasted sammiches.

My husband goes all sorts of dude-creative-food on them (on yeah, and we use them for pizza and cheese bread, too).

This is one of his favorite tricks:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Spray pizza crust with olive oil cooking spray

Brush with mustard (he likes a beer mustard, but any mustard you like would be good)

Top with your desired shredded cheese and sammich toppings. He likes to use salami (we use Hormel Natural Choice) and Pepperocini.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

He says he likes it because it quenches his hunger for sub sammiches.

Hormel and Stagg both have gluten-free chili as well. We use Jenny-O turkey hot dogs and make chili dogs, also. Hormel has many products that are gluten-free and portable man-type food.

buffettbride Enthusiast

If you live someplace where there is a Noodles, you can get the rice noodles/Pad Thai there.

Chilis also has a reliable gluten-free menu.

Chipotle offers a lot of gluten-free options and you can get things in a bowl or in a corn tortilla, but sometimes the language barrier is an issue to get everyone to change gloves and protect the tortillas on the press that warms them (so they don't touch a surface where a flour tortilla has been...). We only do Chipotle when it is not during a rush or busy time.

We've also recently felt comfortable enough to try Wendy's. My daughter loves to get Frosty's which are gluten-free as well as a cup of chili and a baked potato.

ChicFilA has gluten-free fries that are usually cooked in a dedicated fryer (with no other "breaded" fried items).

Happy eating and don't be discouraged!

ang1e0251 Contributor
:) Awesome! I just checked the board this morning and was in shock at all of the replies! Thank you all so much! Everything sounds so good. Can't wait to try them all. I did'nt think that there would be any place that was half way decent to eat out....so can't wait to try Pf Changs and Outback. The Amy's TV dinner idea sounds great also!

The rice noodles are great & you can buy them at WalMart, every college student's favorite store! They have a few gluten-free products including spaghetti, corn or rice, and rotelli. I haven't looked at their frozen food section, there may be more items there.

Here's a GREAT enchilada recipi. I didn't really like them until this kind.

3-4 boneless chicken breasts cooked & seasoned as you like them (or buy already cooked). Place these with a little water in a skillet & warm. As the water begins to steam, place a brick, 8 oz, of cream cheese on top & a can of chopped green chilies (WalMart). Stir all together until chicken, cheese & chilis are mixed. Remove from heat. Place some of the mixture into a gluten-free tortilla & roll then place in a baking dish that has been greased. When you've used all the mixture, pour 2 cans of green chili enchilada sauce (WalMart) over the top. Cover with foil & bake at 350 degrees until bubbly, probable 15-20 minutes. Remove foil then add your favorite shredded cheese. Return to the oven with no cover till cheese is bubbly, 5-10 minutes. Yummmmm!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

You can make really good pizza without pizza shells--just use corn tortillas!

Heat them in a pan over a high flame for 1-2 minutes per side, then put on a greased cookie sheet or baking pan (you can line it with foil for easy cleanup), add sauce, cheese, and whatever, and shove it under the broiler for 2 minutes.

It's FASTER than delivery, and way, way cheaper!

They even make provolone cheese in convenient round slices that are the same size as the corn tortillas!

Great pizza sauce: start with a can of El Cheapo tomato sauce. Add a shake or two of garlic powder, a pinch of sugar (yes, sugar), and basil (fresh chopped, or dried).

FoxersArtist Contributor

Pan searing steaks & lamb chops takes about 5 minutes and it's super easy - anyone can do it. And if you are a typical batchelor, you probably like steak! Just turn the burner to medium and flip the steak every 30 seconds to 1 minute until cooked the way you like it. I used to hate cooking meat because it took too long to thaw it, but then I started buying fresh meat and not freezing it and now I love cooking meat. Good luck. My husband would be lost without my gluten-free cooking so I feel for your situation.

-Anna

:( So after getting sick every 2 months with flu like symptoms, and having horrible stomach pains all the time, I had blood work done and was told that I have Celiac disease last Monday. I was bummed...but just let me say that reading everyones posts on this board has helped me tremendously! Still getting used to preparing meals on the go, being that I'm a divorced 31 year old guy who is always on the go. Anyone have any tips/quick receipes for a lazy single guy? Any help would be much appreciated.

Archived