This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Received Celiac Home Test Kit Today

dizzygrinch

dizzygrinch Enthusiast

Well, I received the Biocard Home Celiac Test today, so Im going to test myself in a bit. Not sure if anyone here is interested, but Ill post my results. If you want to research what this test is, you can go to celiachometest.com and I found it to be very informational....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

I would really love to know. That's the first time I've ever seen that website, very interesting. There's some unaccounted for variables, but assuming it's sensitive enough to pick up one drop of blood, that's essentially what dr's test for.

Keep us posted!

dizzygrinch Enthusiast

Well, I did the test tonight, and, I pretty much think I messed it up. First, as we were getting it around, my husband spilled the buffer, a little bit dropped out, then, after we put the test strip in, bumped it a couple of times... so... I did get a control test line showing, waited the alloted time frame, and according to the test strip I would be considered normal. But, Im wondering how accurate it is.. we only spilled a few drops, but, I dont know... so, I think Im just going to gluten free and forget about tests, Im so annoyed!!!! anyhow, thats how that went!! should I re do the test, or just try the diet??

mftnchn Explorer

That's a bummer. I have read about the test. Does it now include the part that checks for a low total IgA? If not, it will have the same problem as regular blood tests if that is also not checked. I read that the new version of the home test would include that.

I think I would be concerned that you didn't get the correct response on the test. Can you contact the company and ask?

Remember that some people get a positive biopsy with negative blood tests. Some are negative on both tests but respond positively to diet.

Also remember that all testing except Enterolab or gene tests or total IgA have to be done before going gluten free for most people to test positive.

dizzygrinch Enthusiast

Hello! I dont think it tested for total Iga, because I read on their that some people that might be IGA deficiant, will not get a correct reading. I figure that since we spilled a tiny bit, even though I really dont think it was enough to matter, that Im not going to be too concerned. Im just going to try the gluten free diet, and someday if I can afford it, I will try Enterolabs. I would demand doctors to test, but I am uninsured, and have been for nearly a year, and Im just so sick of being sick. All my syptoms sound like could be related to celiacs, so, how can the diet hurt?? hopefully, Ill just get better :)

Guhlia Rising Star

Dizzy, the diet won't hurt you and it will most likely give you some answers, either way. I hope you've found your answer because Celiac is so easy to control once you master the diet. Also, remember that the diet takes 100% compliance and it may take months for you to feel a difference (though some do feel better after hours, days, or weeks). For me it was instantaneous, that doesn't mean it will be for you though. There are many on here who took months to start feeling better. Good luck and don't forget that we're always here for support!

• 4 weeks later...
dixonpete Collaborator

I just took the test and it showed negative. I put that up the effect of a gluten-free diet for the last 4 months. I certainly do have Celiac Disease since I get terrifically sick with diarrhea whenever I run into gluten in any form.

Just let this be a warning. Do not take the test unless you are on a gluten diet. I knew this but didn't observe it because of just how sick I get. Three years of diarrhea stopped the day after I stopped eating gluten. Good enough for me. I was just hoping that the test would put the medical stamp of approval on my illness.

Well, I received the Biocard Home Celiac Test today, so Im going to test myself in a bit. Not sure if anyone here is interested, but Ill post my results. If you want to research what this test is, you can go to celiachometest.com and I found it to be very informational....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

If I were you I would go to the doc and get tested if you are still on gluten. even if they are negative the gluten-free diet wouldnt hurt (after the testing of course!) Its just good to know if you have celiac or not!

I wish I had the opportunity to have a doctor when I found out gluten may be the cause to my probs....now Im gluten-free and cant get tested, and kinda in a bad situation with my doc....no fun

dally099 Contributor

hi i have used this test on my kids, i have had to go back on gluten so i havnt done mine yet. i like the idea of using it for a pre screener thouugh, and only 50 bucks is rather nice, if your on gluten still i would go to your doc and get tested.

dizzygrinch Enthusiast

hi dixonpete, I am back to being gluten free, may I ask, is that how you realized you were gluten intolerant? Im just coming to that conclusion because I get very sick, when I eat foods that contain gluten. And, since I obviousely feel better off of it, what can it hurt? Im at the point where I realize getting a diagnosis from a doctor really isnt that necessesary for me, because after 20+ yrs of being sick, and told only IBS, but never getting any help from the docs, that I just have to do whats best for me. anyway, just interested in how you were "diagnosed" thanks!

TracyB Apprentice

I posted info. about that test last week -you'll have to let me know how it goes. Are you in Canada? I know that it said that it couldn't be shipped to the U.S. - hopefully that has changed...

TracyB

dizzygrinch Enthusiast
I posted info. about that test last week -you'll have to let me know how it goes. Are you in Canada? I know that it said that it couldn't be shipped to the U.S. - hopefully that has changed...

TracyB

Hi, actually, did do the test, but it did show up negative. Although, we accidently spilled some of the solution, I think its called buffer? but, I dont know if that messed it up or not, so, I dont know if it was accurate. I am in the U.S., but, I was able to cantact the actual manufacturer, and I was given information about an organics company from Australia, that is where I got it from. It was the exact same test. were you able to do the test yourself?

Archived