2 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

Ok all you experts out there. There's at least a half a dozen of you that could write cookbooks! (I'm so jealous SickChick and Purple, just to name two)

I read recently that Sunflower Oil is supposed to be really good for you and that Canola isn't. I've used Canola for many years but have read bad things about it on this forum (I always thought it was supposed to be one of the better oils). I bought the organic Sunflower oil and I'm ready to use it. Soooo, here's my question. Can I bake with Sunflower Oil without any weird taste? I have some brownies I want to make this weekend.

I know many of you use Coconut oil, but I don't really love the taste of cocunut. If Sunflower oil isn't good to bake with, please give me some suggestions.

Thanks everyone!
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

Judging by how many things sunflower oil is in, I'd say you can bake and fry with it. Pick up a bag of potato or corn chips and the odds are good you'll find sunflower oil on the ingredient list. In fact pick up 90% of the gluten free products out there that use oil and you'll find sunflower oil.

I don't use it because I'm very allergic to it. I can also distinctively taste and smell sunflower oil in products, but that could just be me. I think it has a definite taste to it.

I use canola without a problem. Most of the nonsense out on the web about canola oil is just that nonsense. Look up Canola Oil on snopes dot com; low in saturated fat, contains Omega 3 fatty acids, contains more cholesterol balancing monounsaturated fat than any other oil but Olive oil. However, canola does appear to cause a reaction in some people with gluten intolerance. So if you react to it, then I'd say don't use it.

Ok all you experts out there. There's at least a half a dozen of you that could write cookbooks! (I'm so jealous SickChick and Purple, just to name two)

I read recently that Sunflower Oil is supposed to be really good for you and that Canola isn't. I've used Canola for many years but have read bad things about it on this forum (I always thought it was supposed to be one of the better oils). I bought the organic Sunflower oil and I'm ready to use it. Soooo, here's my question. Can I bake with Sunflower Oil without any weird taste? I have some brownies I want to make this weekend.

I know many of you use Coconut oil, but I don't really love the taste of cocunut. If Sunflower oil isn't good to bake with, please give me some suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#3 Jenny (AZ via TX)

Jenny (AZ via TX)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

VioletBlue,

Thanks for the quick reply. I went on Snopes and read what it said about Canola. I feel better about using it now. I've never had a problem with it and have used it for about 15 years. I'm still excited to use the sunflower oil - should be good with popcorn.

I'm going to go make the brownies. Thanks again.
Jenny
(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008
Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08
Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08
Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: