This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mc Donalds Ff

bear6954

bear6954 Apprentice

Are they safe or not? There website states that the beef broth contains hydrongized (sp) wheat. I have read that this is not safe. However, I just read that they have been tested and pose no gluten responce. Help! My son loves mc donald ff! Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Are they safe or not? There website states that the beef broth contains hydrongized (sp) wheat. I have read that this is not safe. However, I just read that they have been tested and pose no gluten responce. Help! My son loves mc donald ff! Thanks

Great! You know both sides of the arguement. :D There have been very extensive discussions about french fries on this site. You can do a search. It has always amazed me that something as simple as french fries can birth such emotions and how important McD's is in the life of Americans. (Sorry, I digress. McD's has a long history here). :o

It's a personal choice. I enjoy them without issue.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

You will find a lot of controversy about McDonald's fries, yet, they are gluten free. People will tell you they aren't, they will tell you they get glutened by them...you will get a number of answers. They are gluten free, sometimes, in some stores, you do have to worry about cross contamination, just depends on how clean your McDonald's is. In Michigan, I never worried about it, here on Long Island, I have to wonder sometimes.

Trial and error is the only way to know. I know my sister eats them and we have been gluten-free for 8 yrs.

dksart Apprentice

I am VERY sensitive to even the tiniest amount of gluten in foods, and I can eat them. No problems. Sometimes, (maybe 3x per year) I just need some mickey d's fries!

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter has not had any issues . . . but I would not call her overly sensitive.

psawyer Proficient

You must decide for yourself. This has been discussed at great length many times on this board, and no consensus has emerged.

Personally, I think that the wheat that begins the process is fractionally divided so many times before reaching the finished fries that you will certainly get more gluten from the cross-contamination that is unavoidable in any restaurant that serves gluten-containing food. Make up your own mind.

• 2 weeks later...
luvs2eat Collaborator

Well... this is BAD news for me cause I always thought they weren't good for us (from a gluten-free standpoint... not a nutritional one) and had to be happy w/ the Chik-Fil-A fries I have a few times a year.

Knowing I can have McD's fries will NOT help my diet!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salem Rookie

Although I haven't eaten their fries in a years, I was offered some french fries this week. I declined because I didn't know if they were safe. I'm so glad I did! I had no idea about the beef broth. Just another reason for me to hate mcD's.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I don't eat them for non-celiac reasons and completely agree that it's a personal choice. You can read and decide. I think the individual store environment is the greater concern.

McDonald's USA French Fry ingredient statement: Open Original Shared Link

CSA Position paper on McDonald's fries: Open Original Shared Link

larry mac Enthusiast

CSA Position paper on McDonald's fries: Open Original Shared Link

From the CSA Position paper in the above link:

".....Factors affecting the possibility of there being any residual gluten in

the final French fries or hash browns include:

Lisa Mentor
Of course being raised Catholic, and out of respect for my parents and family, I wouldn't eat McDonalds fries on Friday during lent! <_<

best regards, lm

I sure chuckled at this statement, as I was raised to give up something for lent also. But ONLY on Friday larry? You got off easy! :P

larry mac Enthusiast

'Cause of the beef in the fries! Yeah I know, it's pretty obscure.

The eating meat on Fridays was a separate thing. It may be different now. At one time, as I was growing up, it was a sin to eat meat on Friday, ever. That's why we always had fish sticks at school on Fridays. Then they changed it (I hope they let the poor souls out of hell or purgatory). It was my understanding that at this point it was only prohibited during lent. I thought it was still like that.

Of course in addition, you had to give up something. Preferably a favorite food, such as chocolate or fried foods. And certainly not bread if you're a Celiac . :D

best regards, lm

jerseyangel Proficient
It was my understanding that at this point it was only prohibited during lent. I thought it was still like that.

It is :)

StLouisKirsten Newbie

:huh: So chick-Fil-A fries are okay?

Well... this is BAD news for me cause I always thought they weren't good for us (from a gluten-free standpoint... not a nutritional one) and had to be happy w/ the Chik-Fil-A fries I have a few times a year.

plantime Contributor

I know exactly what you mean! <_<

bakingbarb Enthusiast

what!!!!! wahhhh

Wow I wish you people that KNOW these things would post more often!!!AGH All this time I wasn't eating fast food except Wendy's chili. sigh

Is there anything I should know is safe. Because you are right there are a lot of times when people say don't eat this or that and turns out they are wrong

Can you all start a list of things you know like this?

whitball Explorer

I have read several threads that have said that these fries are gluten free. I ate a large order of fries a few months ago, and this was a huge mistake. I had a violent reaction. I vomited and had the d for several hours. I'll never make this mistake again.

larry mac Enthusiast

This is one of many issues that are never going to be resolved. I can safely eat McDonald's fries. I can safely eat Rice Chex. I can safely eat plain (unseasoned) Fritos, Cheetos, Potato chips, Tostidos, etc. Just a few examples. Do I have Celiac Disease. Yes, without question.

Can all other Celiacs safely eat everything I can (and vice versa)? Obviously no, of course not. We are a diverse lot. Not only do we have differing intolerances, but our ability to tolerate certain foods seems to change depending on our individual physiology at any given time. And then there's DH.

best regards, lm

whitball Explorer
This is one of many issues that are never going to be resolved. I can safely eat McDonald's fries. I can safely eat Rice Chex. I can safely eat plain (unseasoned) Fritos, Cheetos, Potato chips, Tostidos, etc. Just a few examples. Do I have Celiac Disease. Yes, without question.

Can all other Celiacs safely eat everything I can (and vice versa)? Obviously no, of course not. We are a diverse lot. Not only do we have differing intolerances, but our ability to tolerate certain foods seems to change depending on our individual physiology at any given time. And then there's DH.

best regards, lm

you are absolutely right. Good point.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

best regards, lm

Yes, very good point. Its just this is the first time I have seen people say they eat them.

I too can eat rice chex no issues so will see about the fries.

larry mac Enthusiast

bb,

Please don't extrapolate from Rice Chex (which is a gluten-free product) to fast food fries which have a declared (albiet miniscule) gluten content - on my sayso. I simply post my experiences just like everyone else, anecdotal evidence that must be taken with a grain of salt. We all have to make judgements based on facts as we see 'em, personal experience, and anecdotal evidence that we deem fits us. I certainly don't advise anyone to eat fast food fries just 'cause I can.

OK, that's my CYA statement. B)

best regards, lm

bakingbarb Enthusiast
bb,

Please don't extrapolate from Rice Chex (which is a gluten-free product) to fast food fries which have a declared (albiet miniscule) gluten content - on my sayso. I simply post my experiences just like everyone else, anecdotal evidence that must be taken with a grain of salt. We all have to make judgements based on facts as we see 'em, personal experience, and anecdotal evidence that we deem fits us. I certainly don't advise anyone to eat fast food fries just 'cause I can.

OK, that's my CYA statement. B)

best regards, lm

Its just good to know that if I am out and my kid is going there it might be ok for me to have some fries. I don't really care to eat them much in the first place but to sit and watch someone eat and not even have one....

Darn210 Enthusiast
. . . anecdotal evidence that must be taken with a grain of salt. . .

Yes. True. FF are best with salt . . . :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Jackson Rookie
:huh: So chick-Fil-A fries are okay?

No, they're not:

"French Fries:

"Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *

"CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients)."

(Open Original Shared Link)

Paul Jackson Rookie

best regards, lm

May I please ask if you perform a biopsy on yourself after every meal with McDonald's French fries? Regardless of the existence or nonexistence of other symptoms, there is no "individual physiology" that allows the body of anyone with celiac disease to tolerate gluten, such as that contain in McDonald's French fries:

"French Fries:

"Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *

"CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients)."

(Open Original Shared Link)

Archived