47 replies to this topic

#31 larry mac

larry mac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

..... there is no "individual physiology" that allows the body of anyone with celiac disease to tolerate gluten, such as that contained in McDonald's French fries.....

What does that mean, "such as that contained in McDonald's fries"? Do you mean because the ingredients list the word "wheat"?

As has been discussed a zillion times, the wheat and milk derived flavoring is added to the oil the fries are pre-parboiled in. The fries are frozen. They are then fried in a different oil at McDonald's (that doesn't contain the flavorings). The resulting product supposedly contains an extremely small amount of actual wheat gluten. How much? Nobody seems to know. It's just been reported that it's too small to measure using standard industry tests. Could it be measured? Yes. But it's supposed to be below levels being considered safe for Celiacs. At least as far as proposed gluten-free labeling guidelines are concerned.

I didn't intend to imply that individual physiology could impart an ability to tolerate gluten per se. I was referring to other food intolerances. Some individuals are more sensitive to gluten poisoning than others however. I will concede that I shouldn't state McDonald's fries are safe for me. Please let me rephrase. They don't seem to make me feel ill. :)

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Viola 1

Viola 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Wow, this is mind boggling! :o I've been away from this web site for months...if not a couple of years, and this discussion is still going on! Amazing!
Shirley

[Save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

#33 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

Wow, this is mind boggling! :o I've been away from this web site for months...if not a couple of years, and this discussion is still going on! Amazing!

HI SHIRLEY AND WELCOME BACK!!!!! and yup McD's is might important to people. :o
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#34 Viola 1

Viola 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

:D I can see it being important, I just thought after all this time it would be figured out.

How have you been? It's good to see there are still a couple of old favourites still here :P

Shirley

Gluten free since 1989

#35 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

: It's good to see there are still a couple of old favourites still here :P

Shirley you mean "old" as in mature and wise???? ;) :P
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#36 Viola 1

Viola 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

Shirley you mean "old" as in mature and wise???? ;) :P

Absolutely! Very wise :D
I must go for now as I have company arriving, but will check back in tomorrow evening.
Shirley

Gluten free since 1989

#37 LoisArbuckle

LoisArbuckle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:23 AM

This is directly from the site. There is no sense in fried potato's having so many extra ingredients. Also, some places claim that their fries are wheat free but cooked in a fryer with other things that are not gluten free, I get sick. So I stay away from these.

French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

#38 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:34 AM

http://www.boulderco...iacs.org/8.html

#39 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

Very interesting link. Thank you for that.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#40 Di_gfree

Di_gfree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

The big question is, why is there beef broth in fries? :huh: Why not just potatoes and oil, and oh yeah, salt?
Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy '97/Gluten Free ever since
Diagnosed Hashimoto's 04/08

#41 angie291975

angie291975

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

Are they safe or not? There website states that the beef broth contains hydrongized (sp) wheat. I have read that this is not safe. However, I just read that they have been tested and pose no gluten responce. Help! My son loves mc donald ff! Thanks

There is not 1 food item that is safe there..even salad has cross contamination. McDonalds General Maanger said this and our daring expierences had also proved it to be true. If we go there, he takes food and orders Coke or Sprite.

Angela

#42 Sasyeyez

Sasyeyez

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

I guess it is official....McDonalds french fries and hashbrowns are NOT Gluten Free!!!

Here is a post off of their official website: http://nutrition.mcd...ngredients.html

French Fries French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

Hash Brown:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), salt, corn flour, dehydrated potato, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), extractives of black pepper. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.
(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

Along with some other things you might think safe...

Snack Size Fruit & Walnut Salad:
Apple Slices and Red Grapes: Apples, red grapes, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C added to maintain natural freshness and color. Low Fat Yogurt: Cultured pasteurized Grade A reduced fat milk, sugar, food starch-modified, fructose, whey protein concentrate, corn starch, kosher gelatin, natural (plant source) and artificial flavor, potassium sorbate (added to maintain freshness), artificial color.
CONTAINS: MILK.
Candied Walnuts: Walnuts (TBHQ added as a preservative), sugar, peanut oil, dry honey, salt, wheat starch, maltodextrin, xanthan gum, soy lecithin, natural (plant source) and artificial flavor.
CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY LECITHIN, TREE NUTS (WALNUTS).
MAY CONTAIN SHELL PARTS, OTHER TREE NUTS AND PEANUTS.

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.
CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT.

Barbeque Sauce:
High fructose corn syrup, water, tomato paste, grape vinegar, distilled vinegar, salt, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), food starch-modified, spices, dextrose, soybean oil, xanthan gum, natural smoke flavor (plant source), caramel color, garlic powder, cellulose gum, chili pepper, spices, malic acid, spice extractives, natural flavors (fruit and vegetable source), onion powder, sodium benzoate (preservative), succinic acid.
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND SOY.

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.
CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT.

I also did see some things that you know would contain wheat, but did not reference it.
Just an FYI and update!

This list is effective 03-12-2009.

~Angel~

Momma to Shelbie (10), Sarah (8), Jake (6), Joey (2)
Wife to a wonderful saving Grace, Tom
Asthma ~ 1995
Gallbladder removed ~ 6/1999 (diseased no stones)
IBS/Gastritis/Crohn's/Spastic Colon ~ 6/2001
Celiac Disease ~ 2/2005 (biopsy)
Having Shelbie celiac disease Tested ~ July 2007
~no positive Results for Shelbie, but doing GREAT on gluten-free diet.
Sarah being FINALLY being tested for Asperger's Syndrome (ASD) 1/2009

#43 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:38 AM

I guess it is official....McDonalds french fries and hashbrowns are NOT Gluten Free!!!

I don't recall anyone ever saying they were actually gluten-free. The discussion is usually about whether they contain measurable or appreciable amounts of gluten at levels as to be considered "gluten containing", ie. whether Celiacs can safely consume them.

Some say yes. For others, if the word "wheat" is there, then that is enough.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

#44 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

I thought I should add the Canadian McDonalds info here. It seems in Canada there is no mention of wheat in the fries or hashbrowns.

This info was updated March 13th, 2009

http://www.mcdonalds...ientFactsEN.pdf

French Fries: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source),
dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming
agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric
acid and dimethypolysiloxane).
Salt: Salt.

Hashbrowns: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source), salt,
dehydrated potato, vegetable monoglycerides, corn flour, dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour),
extractives of black pepper, citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent) and cooked in
vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
dimethypolysiloxane).
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#45 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

This comes up with great regularity on all the celiac forums. Look at the CSA statement in the link happygirl posted above. They have been independently tested, and there is no detectable gluten in the fries. You have more risk from the CC at the restaurant. You may choose to consume them or not.

Let me check the horse. Yup, still dead. :)
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: