12 replies to this topic

#1 sugarsue

sugarsue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:07 AM

My daughter (almost 6) is casein free and I am having trouble finding things to go on crackers. She does not like nut butters much (we've tried peanut and sun). Any ideas for stuff to put in crackers? She does like hummus and I also will give her pepperoni or other meat but this is not her favorite. She'd much rather have cheese. Also, which crackers do the suggestions go best with (if it matters). We have bought glutano's circle crackers like of like ritz and Back to Nature's rice crackers.

Thanks!

Susan
Susan
LYME diagnosed 11/2010, allergic to wheat, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, allergic to all grasses, most trees, dust
Mom to 9 year old dd, lyme, diagnosed 11/2011, highly gluten intolerant, epilepsy w/ generalized seizures, mitocondrial markers, malabsorption, recurring candida - Gluten-free Casein-free since 9/16/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09, seizure free since going gluten-free!
and 10 yr old dd, Lyme diagnosed 11/2011, severe dust allergy, allergic to most trees/grasses/weeds. Positive gluten intolerance testing. Gluten Free since 12/09/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:17 AM

Have you tried almond butter, cashew butter, etc? If you mix almond meal with sugar (and probably a little something to hold them together), it's called marzipan. There's also coconut oil, which is solid at room temp, similar to butter, only it melts easier. You might try coconut oil and a little salt. You could also add a little sweetener, such as Stevia. In fact, coconut oil mixed with cocoa or carob powder can make a nice chocolate spread. Some other nice cracker toppings might be jam/fruit spreads, avocado, mashed banana, apple slices, or any number of other things. You can blend fruits and nuts together in a blender to make creamy healthy spreads too. Add cinnamon, salt, vanilla, or whatever she likes.

Earth Balance has a dairy-free margarine which comes in sticks. It has no trans fats or hydrogenated oils. It can make a buttery addition to your spreads.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Would she go for a chicken/ham/tuna salad? . . . My daughter won't <_< , but maybe yours will.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#4 Snow Angel

Snow Angel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

At 6 yrs old I would want "fluff" , look at the Smuckers Marshmallow Topping... they say its gluten-free...I don't know about CF.
http://www.smuckers....p...8&prodid=91

or you could try the Ricemellow which is vegan & gluten-free,
...you didn't say you wanted healthy ;)

1984 dx anxiety, depression & anemia
1988 dx migraines, ammenorhea
1994 dx asthma, anaphylaxis, allergies- mold, dust mites, cockroaches
1996 ...food hurts removed processed foods & dairy
1998 ...symmetrical itchy rash dx dermatitis?
2001 dx Hashi's, still anemic,
2005 dx B-12 def. disk degeration C/3-C/4, rash dx=Puringo Nodularis
2007 dx Adrenal fatigue, fibro, acidosis,
2008 dx Celiac/DH tTg 60 & biopsy +, IgA def. osteopenia, pituitary quit
~38yrs old.. I Hope the 40's are Better~

#5 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

I would set out a bunch of toppings and let her be creative with them so she will come up with what she likes. Mix and match sauces and toppings.

pepperoni with spaghetti sauce
raisins, banana slice or other fruit with a nut butter
jam and nut butter
powdered sugar or honey stirred into the nut butter
hot dog slice with spaghetti sauce
refried beans with tomato or olive
guacamole with tomato
pineapple tidbit with ham or bacon
hotdog slice with pineapple tidbit
maple syrup and nut butter
nut butter and a marshmallow
tuna with tomato or cucumber slice
tuna with shredded carrot
bacon and tomato
nut butter with cocoa and powdered sugar
chopped chicken mixed with tomato or shredded carrot

plus all the other ideas mixed and matched

I found this:

http://www.fatfreeve...ppetizers.shtml
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#6 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

My daughter (almost 6) is casein free and I am having trouble finding things to go on crackers. She does not like nut butters much (we've tried peanut and sun). Any ideas for stuff to put in crackers? She does like hummus and I also will give her pepperoni or other meat but this is not her favorite. She'd much rather have cheese. Also, which crackers do the suggestions go best with (if it matters). We have bought glutano's circle crackers like of like ritz and Back to Nature's rice crackers.

Thanks!

Susan

I also like the glutino "ritz" crackers. those are the best ones i've found so far.

I would set out a bunch of toppings and let her be creative with them so she will come up with what she likes. Mix and match sauces and toppings.

pepperoni with spaghetti sauce
raisins, banana slice or other fruit with a nut butter
jam and nut butter
powdered sugar or honey stirred into the nut butter
hot dog slice with spaghetti sauce
refried beans with tomato or olive
guacamole with tomato
pineapple tidbit with ham or bacon
hotdog slice with pineapple tidbit
maple syrup and nut butter
nut butter and a marshmallow
tuna with tomato or cucumber slice
tuna with shredded carrot
bacon and tomato
nut butter with cocoa and powdered sugar
chopped chicken mixed with tomato or shredded carrot

plus all the other ideas mixed and matched

I found this:

http://www.fatfreeve...ppetizers.shtml

wow some great ideas! hot dog and spaghetti sauce sounds so good right now! i haven't eaten a hot dog in ages!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#7 ek327

ek327

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

is there a particular reason you want her to eat crackers?
Janet

DH diagnosed 4/2003. gluten free (for the most part) since.
Daughter diagnosed Celiac by biopsy after + endomysial and TTG Antibodies 6/08. (7 yo)

#8 sugarsue

sugarsue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

is there a particular reason you want her to eat crackers?

I can't find any bread she will eat so I'm trying crackers since I've found a few she will eat. She won't eat corn tortillas. I'm struggling to find stuff for her lunches. She's hugely picky right now.

Susan
Susan
LYME diagnosed 11/2010, allergic to wheat, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, allergic to all grasses, most trees, dust
Mom to 9 year old dd, lyme, diagnosed 11/2011, highly gluten intolerant, epilepsy w/ generalized seizures, mitocondrial markers, malabsorption, recurring candida - Gluten-free Casein-free since 9/16/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09, seizure free since going gluten-free!
and 10 yr old dd, Lyme diagnosed 11/2011, severe dust allergy, allergic to most trees/grasses/weeds. Positive gluten intolerance testing. Gluten Free since 12/09/08. Diagnosed with P.A.N.D.A.S. 6/20/09

#9 sugarsue

sugarsue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Thank you for these great ideas. It helped me to realize that if she helps make it or picks the stuff out herself, it will be very helpful. She chose rice with butter, green beans and okra for dinner tonight and topped it off with a banana and blueberry w/ rice milk smoothie. This was a huge breakthrough for us. The things you suggest, most right now, she would not try, but if I let her pick, I think she will expand her choices more quickly.

and thank you to EVERYONE who has reponded, really super great ideas. Thank you.
Susan

#10 mymagicalchild

mymagicalchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

I love cheese, but usually it does not love me. I've had no problems, though, with the "organic valley" brand of raw cheeses. I get it at Whole Foods, but it's probably available at other healthy food markets. And raw cheeses are probably even more readily available in rural areas. (Since I've discovered the difference in myself, I've seen a lot of info that raw milk products do not cause the same problems as pasteurized/homogenized ones.)

IF I HAD A LITTLE ONE, even one without digestive issues, I'd probably find a number of foods that are healthy and palate-neutral (because children's taste buds are in overdrive) and serve them in small portions in very cute and colorful, tiny mini-ramekin-style containers. (I'd even enlist the mighty-but-little one in shopping for the containers. They'd be her very own feast-dishes.) VERY SMALL is the key.

What I'd serve would be thinly sliced carrot and celery sticks and daikon radish (sweet, crunchy veggie), pieces of raw cheese, small pieces of any cooked chicken/meat/fish she likes (or salmon/tuna spread), fresh fruit in small pieces, olives, naturally fermented sweet pickles (until her taste buds mellow and she likes the sour pickes), AND the crackers she loves.

Corn tortillas ALWAYS taste better fried. If she'll eat mashed beans, cut a corn tortilla in half and then in half again, fry only one quarter (so she won't be overwhelmed) and serve it topped with the beans and melted cheese. Or cover it in extra-thick spaghetti sauce.

The concept is called Tapas! The "Little Servings" Spain in known for.

#11 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

I can't find any bread she will eat so I'm trying crackers since I've found a few she will eat. She won't eat corn tortillas. I'm struggling to find stuff for her lunches. She's hugely picky right now.

Susan

I found the recipe for this bread last week:

http://www.glutenfre...showtopic=50984

It's easy to make...you let it rise about an hour, then oil the top...bake 20 minutes, slice into 4 sections then each of those slice into 8 slices. It tastes like homemade gluten white bread even though it looks different. We love it! You can also cut it into bread sticks instead of slices and dip them in sauce. Make 2 pans and freeze one you have sliced and wrapped. Like us, could be she doesn't like bread made with rice flour...this recipe is made without it.
Remember to let your DD help make it and call it her special bread. If she doesn't like nut butter how about just jelly on it for a start? Or hummus and lunchmeat.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#12 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

I get my daughter single serve packs of jam/jelly and also single serve packs of lunch meats or little slices of pepperoni and salami. She also eats faux cheese. Used to eat Chreese sauce but her allergies have changed and she can no longer have that. She does like rice cheese. You have to be careful to get the vegan kind. The non vegan contains casein.

#13 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

canned chick-peas (aka garbanzo beans), whirl in food processor to desired consistency (will get all the way to hummus-smooth if you wish) - this is basically just bland hummus, since hummus is chickpeas with olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, salt & garlic - okay, there are a thousand variations, but that's the first one listed in wikipedia :D You can also add parsley or fresh basil or anything leafy for a different color & flavor.
This works fine with almost any canned bean actually. You may want to rinse them first before whirling (helps cut down on gas).

luckily almost anything will fit on a cracker! And if it doesn't, just chop or grind it up, add some oil or liquid to hold it together, and then it *will* fit on a cracker :)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: