9 replies to this topic

#1 Beth in NC

Beth in NC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

Yesterday I could not stay awake unless I was up and walking. I've had this one other day, a few weeks ago, and I just napped....two naps of two hours each and I was STILL tired. Yesterday I had a lot to do so I fought it, finally getting a Starbucks Latte at 5 p.m. so the caffiene would help.

It just dawned on me today that this might be part of me being glutened. Friday I had slight D, the sleepiness was Saturday and today I have been sore all over and had a stomach ache.

I do not know what I ate, if that is what this is. It would have had to come from CC, because I ate nothing that outright had gluten.

Could the sleepiness be from a glutening? It was like I was drugged!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Zella CE

Zella CE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

I just had sort of a "wake up" call - literally..

I was diagnosed back in June of 2007 and followed the gluten-free diet to a T. The only problem.. I kept losing weight, kept feeling TIRED and was still having gastro symptoms..

I ended up in the hospital about 3 weeks ago.
- I was severely malnourished
- Weighed a whopping 93 pounds
- All my vitamin levels were on the floor

Wellllll... there was one little thing I never gave up after my diagnosis. Starbucks.
I always had them wash the blender with scorching hot water.. One day they even gave me my own blender container for my frapp drink.. Well, turns out the Starbucks was the culprit. The simple fact was no matter how hard they tried to keep things free of cross-contamination, the gluten was still sneaking in there. I suspect it was the lid they used or they may have been using the designated container during high traffic times.

So, I'm not sure how often you have Starbucks (I had them everyday), but it could be possible that you're getting contaminated from their equipment. Not so much the drink itself, but it is virtually impossible for them to keep the equipment free of gluten. Especially during the holidays when the spiced hot beverages arrive.

It's just a suggestion :P

How often do you get the sleepy feeling?

Celiac Disease - 5/2007
Scoliosis Surgery - 12/1997
Arthritis
Kyphoscoliosis
Degenerative Disc Disease
Enlarged Pituitary Gland
Vitamin D deficient
Folic Acid deficient
Iron deficient

... and loving life!!

#3 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Sounds like a good piece of detective work to me!

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#4 Beth in NC

Beth in NC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

It couldn't be that because it was my first one since going gluten-free. The sleepiness started BEFORE I had the latee and was the reason I got it.

I probably won't do it again though because even with a lactaid, my belly gurgled like crazy afterwards.

#5 SillyBoo

SillyBoo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

Yes, gluten makes me extremely sleepy. But I found that sleepiness also results from eating anything else to which I have developed a sensitivity, subsequent to the gluten, such as dairy, soy, beans, nightshades, and chocolate. You might want to check out what other foods may be causing the problem, in addition to continued sleuthing into possible sources of gluten (lotion, shampoo, toothpaste, and such).

#6 hawaiimama

hawaiimama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

Oh the starbucks makes perfect sense! We have an espresso maker at home and it sucks in little bits of the drink before until you seem it out (not sure I'm saying this right).

The last time I went to buckies I had a HORRID stomach ache and I realized they had done my friends soy drink before mine. Soy makes me feel SO gross.

And yes, I get sleepy. If fact before I was dx, I used to eat cereal at night because it would make me sleep DOH.

#7 Gaye of PA

Gaye of PA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

After taking gluten out of my diet, I was able to realize that CORN makes me dead-dog sleepy. So I'm avoiding that right now, although I don't seem to notice it when I get small amounts, such as in xanthan gum. But if I should have some corn chips or a corn tortilla, it zonks me out.
Gaye of PA

Newly diagnosed gluten intolerant in February 2008

#8 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Yes! I get very tired. If fact, once I had to call my husband who was out on the golf course, to come home so he could watch the kids. I was so tired and kept falling asleep. It was after a gluten challenge. I had been gluten free for about a month and I ate three chicken strips to test myself. I won't be testing myself again.
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#9 susanm

susanm

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

I always thought that the sleepy feeling I'd get after eating was normal "after-eating groggies". Then I started noticing it was only after I had a lot of pasta that I felt like that (which I love!!)

Do you mean I really have to give up Starbucks when I go gluten free?? :( I'm still waiting for the endoscopy, but I know I have gluten sensitivity.
Blood test results came back - high antigliadins. Endoscopy - negative for celiac, but showed chronic inflammation.
Had celiac as a child, then "supposedly cured". I didn't do well on an elimination diet when I reintroduced wheat. I have osteopenia - no GI symptoms otherwise.
Addison's disease diagnosed in 2004. I assume I have gluten sensitivity/intolerance, though not as severe as having celiac.

#10 MNBeth

MNBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

Do you mean I really have to give up Starbucks when I go gluten free?? :( I'm still waiting for the endoscopy, but I know I have gluten sensitivity.

Well, I wouldn't think plain coffee would be a problem, but blender drinks would be hard to trust, as the blenders get used for gluten ingredients. As far as steamed or frothed drinks, I'd think they'd be okay, too, unless you have soy or dairy issues.

And, yes, I can hardly hold my head up when I've been glutened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: