2 replies to this topic

#1 mftnchn

mftnchn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

I'm on SCD and using almond nut flour for baking but am struggling with getting it ground fine enough. Appliances here in China are limited, weak in power, expensive for what you get. My current appliance grinds a small amount in the blender that is "meal" rather than "flour." The dry grinder attachment (looks like a coffee grinder) makes it into almond butter but very chunky.

There are only a couple of choices of food processor, one is very low watts, 300W, and the other is 600W and very expensive, over $200 US. There are a couple of blenders with 500W or so, one is about $50 US (my current one is 400W which is stronger than most of them). Electric here is 220.

I'm still looking for options. Any suggestions on what would work best? What power, what type of blade, etc.? Would some kind of hand grinder work better, if so, what kind?

Thanks for any tips you might have. I can't buy almond flour so am stuck pretty much.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:47 AM

What I do when I want nut meal/flour for a recipe, is to take some of the liquid of the recipe, and put it in the blender with the nuts. Whip until smooth, and that's basically it. As long as the recipe uses enough water or other liquid in proportion to the nuts, it works. I've also used a food chopper when I want little bits, and I suppose from there it might get fine enough using a mortar & pestle, but I think that would probably be more like paste than flour.

Can't you buy almond meal/flour over the Internet from within China?
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

Thanks, Riceguy.

Would it work with eggs only or eggs and melted butter? Also how to do measure for the flour then? I notice that 1/2 C of nuts makes quite a bit more than 1/2 C of finely ground.

Well I could probably buy flour over the internet, but getting it sent here, and have it actually arrive, is another matter. It would be pretty expensive too.

I did find a local source of ground almonds in an organic store, but it was lit $12 for about a cup. Can't afford that. Also I am afraid it might have something added.
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: