1 reply to this topic

#1 Sage

Sage

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:16 AM

Our daughter is 12 years old, was diagnosed with celiac a few years ago (after growth hormone therapy had failed), is following the dietary restrictions, is taking hormones to delay onset of puberty and is still not growing. We would like to meet with the foremost expert or person that can help us here. We live in the NY area. We are seeing doctors but have lost some confidence, perhaps understandably. Please give me referrals. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:30 AM

Sage,

I was just wondering why she is taking hormones to delay the onset of puberty? I mean, don't stop them if the doctor ordered them, but does she need them? Maybe she would start growing if puberty was allowed to start. Many teens do a lot of growing after puberty. This may be particularly true for you daughter now that she is on a gluten free diet.

Have you checked out the Celiac Disease Department at ( I believe) the NY Columbia University Hospital? Dr. Green is one of the leaders in celiac disease research and I believe that is where he is. Are there any support groups you belong to that can point you to a better doctor in your area? I'm in CA, so I only know what I've read, and I know there are some good doctors there.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: