2 replies to this topic

#1 Ally2005

Ally2005

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:58 PM

Hi, I was just diagnosed 6 days ago and have been eating gluten-free since then. The damage to the intestinal lining was severe. So far, there is no change in my symtoms. I was wondering if there was any thing else I could do/take to help heal my digestive tract. and speed recovery.

Aly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:43 PM

There are several good discussions on supplements. Usually a good multi vitamin is a start. From there, you probably need to supplement based on your own personal needs. Those of us with neurological problems steer toward the B vitamins. Those with anemia steer toward the iron. The ones of us with muscular or bone concerns add calcium and magnesium. There are a lot of options...just verify with the manufacturer that the supplement is gluten-free. Your doctor may want to suggest specific things for your unique situation. He may also be able to assess whether you can take the oral supplements or require injections of certain ones.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:08 AM

A multi vitamin is a good thing to have...I would recommend a liquid vitamin because of the way it is absorbed by your body. I would also recommend probiotics .Probiotic bacteria favorably alter the intestinal microflora balance, inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria, promote good digestion, boost immune function, and increase resistance to infection. I also would highly recommend Enzymes which are great for digestion. Sublingual B12 vitamins are great too because you put them under your tongue and they go into your blood stream that way so you know your body is absorbing it. There are many discussions on here about supplements so you might want to take a look at them and then you can get an idea on what people take.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: