10 replies to this topic

#1 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:21 AM

Here's a question for all you veterans-- I was recently diagnosed with Celiac. Have you found that you are pretty much on your own or do you suggest finding a GI doc or a nutritionist to work with long term? My impression of my GI doc is that he doesn't have too much to offer me. Besides the obvious change in diet, do you go back to have your blood tested periodically, to check on your progress of healing? Any other suggestions for a new lifestyle plan?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:59 AM

Unfortunately I do not think most GI docs are aware of what foods, meds, etc are gluten-free and whats not. I think you can handle it on your own especially with sites like this and all the resources we have available to us.

Hang in there! :D

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

I don't trust many doctors and GI doctors even ones that know about celiac can't really tell you all the stuff that contains gluten. This is something you pretty much have to learn. A celiac nutritionist may be able to help out with what you can eat but you could learn so much more on your own. You will learn what the good brands of foods and products to use are. Sites like this one really help and you can learn alot. If you need help with anything just ask we are always here to try to help :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

This website is the best place to go! Since I realized I had this, I come here when I have questions. It's free and honestly,most people here know more than the doctors when it comes to eating gluten-free...for sure! And, you don't even have to leave your house:)

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

I found that I learned almost everything on my own or from the people on this site.
I went out and bought gluten-free cookbooks and used the google search engine like crazy.
Then I found this web site and I find out most of my info from here.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#6 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:58 AM

Its my opinion that very few in the medical profession have much to offer for us Celiac people, even if you get diagnosed by them they are clueless about where gluten is found.

I have learned more on the internet then my doctor knows, that's for sure.... I love the various lists like this one, people are so helpful and there are a bunch of good websites too.

Susan

#7 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:14 AM

;) i agree with everyone---this is our lifestyle and up to us to figure it out--there are many out there that can answer questions and i will always answer any question i am capable of answering and if its bigger then me, then i call my sister who is a celiac and dietician--she usually can answer the hard questions for me :D --i find that sometimes i become to trusting of products and other times that i just get lazy and i usually pay for that mistake--my man just told me that i cant afford to get comfy or lazy and he's right B) it's just sometimes i want to be normal :( and we arent--we look normal, we behave normally, well most of us do--some of us are just plain crazy and thats a good thing--if we cant laugh at our mistakes, then we are in trouble-----it's like i say--the glass is half full, that's the way we all should look at life :lol: finding out we are celiac is much better then being sick all the time--it's not easy, but we can all do it--pat yourselves on the shoulders for the good job you do on a daily basis :D ---deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#8 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! It is my impression that you are on your own with this diagnosis. But who better to be the experts than us I guess! ;) I look forward to talking with you more in the future...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#9 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:05 AM

I suggest a palm pilot. Keep a list of gluten free medications with you at all times. (this may be so important to me because of my kids) I've pulled out the palm pilot at the urgent care for prescriptions for kid's ear infections at 2:00 a.m. The doctor asked me where to find the list.

I also have the forbidden ingredients list on the palm pilot. I really don't look at it anymore.

If an emergency happened and someone else had to make gluten free food/medication choices for you or your child, do you have the information on hand for them?

Laura
Michigan

#10 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:04 AM

Laura -
Do you like the Palm software from the Clan Thompson site? I had downloaded the demo to check it out...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#11 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:14 PM

All of the doctors I went to were clueless about celiac disease. They knew a lot about writing prescriptions though. The good thing about this disease is it forces you to pay attention to what you are shoveling into your mouth. You will be much healthier as a result.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: