Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Stuffing A Turkey

11 posts in this topic

If a turkey is stuffed with "regular" stuffing, will that contaminate the whole turkey?

Also, does anyone have a good stuffing recipie to share?

Ads by Google:

Yes, if any regular stuffing touches it at all at any point in the process, it is contaminated. You can make stuffing following the regular recipe, using chicken broth that has been verified to be gluten-free and a loaf of gluten-free bread or cornbread. There are some bread and cornbread mixes that others may recommend. I use a loaf of EnerG bread. Don't like it to eat as bread but it makes good stuffing and breaddrumbs.

If a turkey is stuffed with "regular" stuffing, will that contaminate the whole turkey?

Yes, it will. :)

I make the same stuffing I always have, I just substitute the bread cubes. What I do is take a half loaf of Gluten Free Pantry French Bread, cube it, spread the cubes out on a cookie sheet sprinkled liberally with poultry seasonning (McCormicks). Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until dry and toasty. Then use as you normally would in stuffing.

I've found that store bought millet gluten-free bread makes a very tasty stuffing. It has a more grainy taste and texture that I like. I can't have corn or potato or a whole list of other stuff, but the millet bread was safe last time I used it and made a very nice stuffing. I will however remember to cut off the crust next time as it was too hard.

According to some chefs, stuffing a bird is not a good idea. The inside of the bird is the dirtiest part in terms of bacteria and it may not get hot enough for long enough in the cavity to kill off all the bird bacteria that has come into contact with the nice moist stuffing. So just making it up in a deep covered dish is really a better safer option all the way around. That way gluten-free people can have the gluten-free stuffing and everyone else can chow down on gluten.

WOW!!

Thanks so much. I had a feeling, but wanted to check. Thanks for the recipies too!!

I made wild rice last year instead of stuffing. Everyone liked it.

I did cornbread stuffing last year and it was DELICIOUS! I used the cornbread recipe from Pamela's Products website using Pamela's Baking Mix. Then I based the stuffing recipe from Tyler Florence's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-f...ipe3/index.html

I increased the amount of liquid since it was a little dry the first time I did a trial run for my tastes (1/3-1/2 cup stock) and used herbes de provence instead of just sage (it was the same herb mix I was using to flavor the turkey and gravy, so it made sense). I served it to gluten family members who had never had cornbread stuffing before and they all LOVED it. Everyone had seconds (and some had thirds).

I use wild rice too. it's really great mixed with dried fruit and nuts.

ken

I made wild rice last year instead of stuffing. Everyone liked it.

Quinoa Stuffing

4 TBSP olive Oil

! med red onion minced

1 small Butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced

1 small red bell pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 lrg apple, peeled, cored and chopped

1 cup mushrooms, sliced

1 TBSP dried sage

salt and pepper (freshly ground is good)

4 cups of water

3 bay leaves

2 cups of quinoa

1 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup fresh parsley

1/2 chopped pecans

juice of 1 lime

1. Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet. Saute onion, squash, pepper, garlic, apples and mushrooms over med. heat until the onion is soft and the squash is browned. Add the sage, salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside.

2. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the bay leaves and quinoa. After the water comes to a boil again, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Combine the sauteed vegetables and quinoa. Add the remaining oil. Add the dried cranberries, fresh parsley, lime juice and pecans. Toss and serve.

You can stuff the turkey or leave as is. This is VERY yummy and it will be enjoyed by all! Not just the gluten-free! Quinoa is a staple in our house. It is just so good!

(from a cook book called: Gluten Free, Sugar - free Cooking

Quinoa Stuffing

(from a cook book called: Gluten Free, Sugar - free Cooking

Wow that sounds like a great fall side dish! Thanks for posting it.

This(quinoa stuffing) was delicious!! :D I used the red quinoa, which had a nutty flavor. Even my guests who had never heard of quiona before, liked it and want to buy quinoa and experiment with it now.