#1 krzsqrll

krzsqrll

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

Hello to all!!

Does anyone know if corn bread generally has wheat or gluten in it?? My son does not have problems with corn-just the wheat/gluten. I searched this topic on the forums and came up with nothing.My son loves corn bread and of course it goes great with hotdogs and beans:)Thanks a trillion!

Tammy
In Love & Light, Tam
My adorable 6y.o. son was DX
w/ celiac 6/12/08

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

Most corn bread recipes and/or mixes have a mixture of corn meal and flour. If you use a gluten-free flour, the cornbread will be gluten free.

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Cornbread almost always has wheat flour in it. You can buy gluten-free cornbread mixes. Here's the recipe that I use which has no flour in it. It is moist and not too heavy. There are other recipes out there that have gluten-free flours in them. Check the bags of cornmeal for statements about shared equipment. I use Arrowhead Mills.

Put a little butter, oil or shortening in a small cast iron skillet and put it in the oven. Set the oven to preheat 400 degrees. Meanwhile, mix together 1c. cornmeal, 1 Tb. baking powder, 1/4 c. sugar(I prefer 2-3 Tb.),1 c. milk and 1 egg. Take the skillet out, pour in the batter and bake until set and just starts to brown an pull away from the edge of the pan. I don't remember the time, but it doesn't take long and is so easy that I make it fresh for breakfast.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 Green Eyes

Green Eyes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

I use Bob Mills brand corn mill mix. We love it. My 11 year old son swears it is better than any other kind of cornbread. I even use it to fix small pancake like bread to use like sandwich bread. It is the only type of bread I really like now that I'm gluten free.
Jennifer

7/17/08 - Positive Celiac diagnosis with biopsy
8/1/08 - Positive Celiac results from blood work
Gluten Free since 8/1/08
8/12/09 - Celiac Test Results - "Normal"

#5 krzsqrll

krzsqrll

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the quick responses!! Its appreciated:) Tam
In Love & Light, Tam
My adorable 6y.o. son was DX
w/ celiac 6/12/08

#6 rmducote

rmducote

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:10 AM

Hello to all!!

Does anyone know if corn bread generally has wheat or gluten in it?? My son does not have problems with corn-just the wheat/gluten. I searched this topic on the forums and came up with nothing.My son loves corn bread and of course it goes great with hotdogs and beans:)Thanks a trillion!

Tammy

I found a gluten-free corn bread mix by Bobs red Mill that is relly good. the rest of my family eats it too.

#7 crunchy_mama

crunchy_mama

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:11 AM

I always just use the recipe on the back of the bag- I think mine was Hogdson's mill. There is one w/ flour and one to be made w/o flour- it is more like old fashioned cornbread, not light and fluffy. I love it w/ some honey and butter.
Mama to 2- 7/04 and 4/07- On the journey to get healthy and figure us all out!

#8 lenjac

lenjac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:53 PM

I found a good cornbread recipe (and some other good gluten-free recipes) on a website for a very popular brand of butter (I don't want to get nailed for product pitching )

#9 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

I just use the recipe on the back of the corn meal box--but I substitute BetterBatter gluten-free flour for the flour called for in the recipe.

YOu can also make ChiChi's Fiesta Sweet Corn Cake mix (sold at grocery stores in the Mexican section, and it's gluten-free!!!!)--it calls for adding a can of creamed corn (check labels to make sure it's gluten-free) and melted butter, and I throw in an egg, too.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: