arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Bleach Denatures The Gluten On Kitchenware?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gaye of PA

Gaye of PA

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

A friend whose daughter is newly diagnosed says that if you don't put dishes in the dishwasher but wash them by hand, you need to put bleach on them, which will "denature" the gluten, which means the protein is broken down.

This makes her happily use anyone's anything, as long as it has been bleached. It also causes her to spend a lot of time bleaching everything that can't fit in her dishwasher.

I have never heard of such a thing, and can find no info on it; doesn't sound right to me. But she insists, because the person who told her so is someone "in the know" and who sells gluten free mixes.

Anyone heard of this??
Gaye of PA

Newly diagnosed gluten intolerant in February 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

I have never heard of such a thing

Nor have I. Gluten is not a virus or bacteria.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 henny

henny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

I don't know, but on a related note: is the dishwasher enough? I am trying to understand CC and it's overwhelming :(

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

Prewashing and a run in the dishwasher should be fine.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 henny

henny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

is prewashing needed? (sorry for all the questions)

#6 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Nor have I. Gluten is not a virus or bacteria.

I've never heard of that either, but just because gluten is not a virus or bacteria doesn't mean that chlorine can't break the chemical bonds in the protein molecule.

It would be most unpleasant to be washing everything in even very diluted bleach, and the fumes would have to be unhealthy to your skin and eyes and lungs and all that. :ph34r:

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

I have never had a problem with rinsing everything well and running them through the dishwasher. I use the heat/scrub setting.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

Ditto, Patti. The only reason I rinse my dishes before loading them into the dishwasher is so I don't have to clean the dishwasher as often. Grease-filled drain traps are nasty!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

Ditto, Patti. The only reason I rinse my dishes before loading them into the dishwasher is so I don't have to clean the dishwasher as often. Grease-filled drain traps are nasty!

Dessa--It's nice to see you :)
Patti

#10 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

It's nice to see you, too, Patti. I am finished with college, I have my Bachelor's in Accounting, so now I have time to check in on the board again. I also have two handsome grandsons, pictured in my avatar. I hope the last couple of years have been good for you.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

It's nice to see you, too, Patti. I am finished with college, I have my Bachelor's in Accounting, so now I have time to check in on the board again. I also have two handsome grandsons, pictured in my avatar. I hope the last couple of years have been good for you.

The boys are just beautiful--very handsome! Wow--congratulations on your graduation, that's great. :D
Patti

#12 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

A friend whose daughter is newly diagnosed says that if you don't put dishes in the dishwasher but wash them by hand, you need to put bleach on them, which will "denature" the gluten, which means the protein is broken down.

This makes her happily use anyone's anything, as long as it has been bleached. It also causes her to spend a lot of time bleaching everything that can't fit in her dishwasher.

I have never heard of such a thing, and can find no info on it; doesn't sound right to me. But she insists, because the person who told her so is someone "in the know" and who sells gluten free mixes.

Anyone heard of this??

Bleach might unfold the protein (denature it) but it's unlikely to dissolve it to any degree unless you leave it on for a very long time (hours). The antibodies your body produces are to a small section of the protein (a chunk that's freed when you've partly digested it using the hydrochloric acid in your stomach (and some grinding)) and not to a full length, folded protein.

Proteins are also denatured when you cook them. If cooked wheat makes you feel bad, then bleached wheat will also make you feel bad.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#13 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

That's a 'myth' that still seems to float around from time to time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: