15 replies to this topic

#1 BelievinMiracles

BelievinMiracles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

I have a question. I was never diagnosed as a celiac but went on the diet before they could figure it out. I was fine with drinking hard alcohol before the diet but after going gluten free I noticed that i get sick the next day with stomach pains and the poopies after drinking vodka, but not with the gluten free beers. I just think it's weird i react that badly and easily with vodka if I'm not diagnosed celiac and especially if there is a debate whether grain alcohols contain gluten or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

Is it plain vodka, or is it flavored?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,032 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Most vodka is made from non-gluten sources, typically potatoes or corn. Smirnoff is made from corn.

However, as Lisa said, if the vodka has flavor added, then the flavoring could be a source of gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

I have a question. I was never diagnosed as a celiac but went on the diet before they could figure it out. I was fine with drinking hard alcohol before the diet but after going gluten free I noticed that i get sick the next day with stomach pains and the poopies after drinking vodka, but not with the gluten free beers. I just think it's weird i react that badly and easily with vodka if I'm not diagnosed celiac and especially if there is a debate whether grain alcohols contain gluten or not.

I now have a tendency to do the same thing if I overindulge, I usually stick to wine and beer now. I used tobe able to drink a pint of brandy myself in a night, but after gluten free I can't handle much hard liquor. Our metabolisms change when we go gluten-free, it's unavoidable. You also may have been contaminated in some way, by the liquor itself or a mixer.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 BelievinMiracles

BelievinMiracles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

The vodka I had was Svedka vodka and it wasn't flavored. All I know was that I use to be able to drink it but now I just feel sick the next day and not hangover sick. I usually don't drink much when I do. I just think it's weird, I fine with wine also...that doesn't bother me. I did buy some potato vodka to try and we'll have to see if I get sick with that. (I never knew that vodka could contain gluten but the guy at the liquor store said that it could be) But I do get horrible cramps if I drink regular beer for sure...so I stay away from it. Actually I think I had 3 beers one night, woke up with a horrible stomach ache, i even cried that's how much it hurt, and then that is when I came up that it had to be gluten...just has to be.

#6 jaime1103

jaime1103

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

try Chopin. It was recommended to me since it is a potato vodka with no chance of contamination.
Celiac diagnosis 12/19/2007 by PCP (positive bloodwork, prior slightly scalloped small colon, but biopsy non-specific)
Started gluten free diet 12/19/2007 but was requested to do a gluten challenge on 2/21/08 for GI Dr diagnosis and re-run of bloodwork and another endoscopy
Endoscopy 3/26/08 after 5 weeks of gluten challenge, biopsy revealed subtotal villous atrophy, positive diagnosis, gluten free for good as of 3/26/08

#7 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

I spent quite a while reading labels at the liquor stores in Dallas. They had a huge selection. It was my impression that most vodkas are made from grain. Only a very few (one or two) were made from potatoes, and I can't recall any that said corn. Of course not all brands list exactly what the sources are.

I'm looking at a bottle of Vikingford:

"Vikingfjord Vodka comes from Norway, where quality and excellence are a way of life. Following a time honoured vodka recipe, this carefully six column distilled vodka is made from potatoes. Every drop is then expertly blended with 100% smooth, crystal clear water from the pristine Jostedal Glacier of Arctic Norway.

Vikingfjord Vodka. Made with pure glacial water frozen when the world was still pure. DISTILLED FROM POTATOES."

There you go. Word for word off the bottle. Not very expensive either.

Full personal disclosure. I don't worry about or have a problem with distilled alcohols from grains. Or liquors that may have colorings or caramel. I drink 'em all. Equal opportunity imbiber.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#8 Julianne Marie

Julianne Marie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

over the weekend i drank brunette's...i mixed it with lemonade (half and half) for the first drink and the second i mixed it half and half with red bull. those were the only 2 drinks i had all night and i drank them 2 hours appart from eachother and after drinking the second drink i went to my room and threw up. and then the next 2 days after that i had a bad stomach ache. is this from my gluten allergies?
ps i drink very little by the way.

#9 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

I do best with potato vodkas too (and Chopin is mighty tasty!!!!)
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#10 DarkIvy

DarkIvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

I've never had issues from grain based hard alcohols. My understanding is that the distillation process removes gluten. I'm super sensitive, so I'd know if I got glutened (especially considering how much I do drink when I drink. Shush! I'm 21 and kind of in college!)

When I've been glutened while drinking, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be some CC. Have you ever watched the bartenders? The slosh beer everywhere, pick up a new glass, and proceed to the next drink.

I've started brining a gigantic handbag with me and I just always bring my own booze and a shot glass or two. Classy, I know ;) Actually though, it's helped. Last time I did this I didn't get glutened, and usually I do get glutened on a night out. I too, drink Svedka. That's actually what I brought on my last night out. Way better than the McCormick's crap the frat brothers were offering. I'm a beverage snob.

FYI, MOST vodka is made from wheat. Svedka is distilled 5 times I believe, and I've never had issues. Few vodkas are made from potato. I'd like to get my hands on some potato vodka though, I hear it's very smooth.

The only thing I haven't really tried much of is whiskey, and it's because I honestly don't understand whether it's gluten free or not. I never liked it much anyway, so I don't think I'm missing out on much.

I've noticed a change in my hangovers after gluten free, but quite honestly, I've noticed a change in them since I was a freshman in college (when I started partying) and my hangovers now 3-4 years later. Everyone my age is complaining of "worse" hangovers and "different" hangovers. Now that I'm gluten-free, I can't handle much wine, either. I used to be a big fan of wine and I never had any problems.

That said, vodka isn't the easiest on your stomach... period. Even in small amounts, it might just be enough to be painful. Try a good rum or tequila next time and see if that doesn't help.

PS, stomach aches and poopies are both very common symptoms of hangover. My hangovers are like that pretty consistently, regardless. Again, vodka is pretty harsh stuff, it might just be that your digestive system doesn't handle it well.
Liz

GLUTEN FREE 06/13/07

#11 julirama723

julirama723

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

I've had problems with grain vodka AND corn vodka (I am positive I have issues with corn), but NO problems whatsoever with potato vodka. (I have a bottle of Luksosawa and it's pretty decent, not able to get Chopin here!)

I've also had problems with whiskey, regardless of the gluten/no-gluten argument. (BAD hangovers as of recent!) Rum is fine, and watch for tequila--stuff like Jose Cuervo or Sauza is NOT 100% agave, and they add grain alcohol as filler.
Graves Disease 5/95-5/97
Noticeable GI distress started 8/07
Mom Dx Celiac 9/08
Dietary Response POS 10/08
Bloodwork and Biopsy NEG 12/08
IgA Deficient

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

......Rum is fine, and watch for tequila--stuff like Jose Cuervo or Sauza is NOT 100% agave, and they add grain alcohol as filler.

With all due respect, that is completely inaccurate. There are 100% agave Tequilas (and they will always be labeled as such, and there are non- 100% agave Tequilas (commonly referred to as mixtos). Mixtos are required by Mexican law to contain at least 51% agave sugars. The remainder is cane sugar. Same as is used to make rum. There is no grain in tequila. If you could cite a source disputing that I would be very interested in knowing.

I'm a Tequila lover. Have been for a long time. :P

best regards, lm

p.s., Most Cuervo and Sauza product is non-100% agave. They both do however, also make 100% agave Tequla.

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

#13 julirama723

julirama723

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

I've read it in quite a few places, here are just a couple of examples.

http://www.avenuevin...ves/003472.html

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/296012

http://www.wineexpo....c...&Itemid=309

This is the stuff I'd read before, though I have also found websites that claim the filler is cane sugar, just as you said. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I do know that I certainly feel a heckuva lot better drinking 100% agave like patron or at the very least, 1800 (as opposed to mixto like cuervo) so I thought I'd pass that info along.

Yes, that was my point, the "Jose Cuervo" and "Sauza" tequilas branded as such are not 100%. :)
Graves Disease 5/95-5/97
Mom Dx Celiac 9/08
IgA Deficient

#14 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for providing the links. Unfortunately, they are not very authoritative sources. Tequila is one of the most misunderstood spirits. Many still link tequila with a worm. That's tourista mescal. Tequila has never had a worm. Also, agave are not in the cactus family. I also join you in recommending drinking 100% agave tequila. However, I wouldn't want anyone to fear that any tequila might contain grain alcohol. If you can drink rum, you can drink the non-100% mixtos. After all, rum is made entirely from cane sugar, and mixto tequilas are only half cane sugars.

best regards, lm

Please check out some of these links:

From www.tequila.net

The main two types of Tequila are first split into two categories, 100% Blue Agave, and Tequila Mixto (Mixed). Mixto Tequila contains a minimum of 51% Blue Agave, and the remaining 49% from other sugars (cane alcohol). The additional products allowed in Mixto Tequilas are caramel color, oak extract flavoring, glycerin, and sugar based syrup.

From www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/pure_mixto.htm

If it doesn't say 100% agave, it's a mixto tequila. Mixtos are never labelled as mixto, but are merely called "tequila." While most purists won't drink mixtos, many tequila aficionados got their first taste from the popular mixto brands like Cuervo Especial. So mixtos have played an important role in the journey to tequila knowledge. Some bartenders only use mixtos for cocktails like margaritas, claiming the other ingredients mask the taste of a better tequila. Again, purists insist on 100% agave tequilas in their margaritas.

……The decision to use non-agave sugars (usually cane sugars) in fermentation along with those from the agave was made in the 1930s in part because of this shortage, a fateful move that changed the industry and affected its reputation for decades. The official standard established in 1949 required that the sugars in the beverage come 100% from blue agave, but by 1964 distillers were allowed to use 30% other sugars, which soon climbed to 49%.The blander product, however, was more palatable to American tastes and helped boost export sales.

Mixto tequilas can legally be made with alcohol fermented from other (non-agave) sugars, up to 49% (meaning they must be made with at least 51% agave sugars). Allegedly the amount of agave sugars required was supposed to have been increased in 1995 from 51% to 60%, but this never happened and is not mentioned in the 2005 NORMA.

Even when it is more expensive per kilogram than raw agave, it is less expensive to make tequila with cane sugar than 100% agave sugar. That's because the agave requires more work - harvesting, cooking, milling - to produce its fermentable sugars.

Some companies are experimenting with improved mixtos, using more agave sugars, and less cane sugars. For example, 4 Copas has a mixto called "Dos Amores" with 70% agave sugars. Their goal is to improve the mixto experience for new consumers to encourage them to upgrade to 100% agave tequilas. A similar mixto, Casco Viejo, from Tequila Supremo, is also 70-30. With the current (2007) glut of agave in the fields, there are many opportunities for tequila makers to pursue better mixtos like this, but very few have taken the step forward.

Mixtos may be aged like 100% agave tequilas. It is becoming more common to see labels like reposado and even añejo on mixtos, which can confuse the consumer who assumes only 100% agave tequilas are aged. Look for the declaration of 100% agave to be sure.

Cold mixing - adding alcohol to the tank after the agave sugars are fermented - is not permitted. All the sugars must be fermented at the same time.

Rather curiously, the other sugars used in mixto tequilas are not permitted to be sugars from any species of agave. So it's illegal to use, say, espadin agave (used for making mezcal) in mixto tequila. The 51% agave sugars required for mixtos have to be the only agave sugars, and can only come from the tequilana weber blue variety agave grown in the territory specified by Mexican law. Generally, cane sugars are used in the fermentation process to produce much of the alcohol in mixtos- but none of the taste of 100% agave.
Some people believe that better mixtos may be created by using other agave sugars, but it might also weaken the separation between pure tequilas and mixtos.

Some mixtos also have added sugar, caramel and almond essence to make them appear gold - and aged. Even with these additives, a mixto can still be called 'tequila.'

Mixto tequilas may also be bottled outside Mexico. While most bottlers do not adulterate the bulk tequila, they do not have to live up to the same standards in the bottling nation as are present in Mexico. Without the oversight of the Mexican Tequila Regulatory Council, there are concerns the bulk tequila may be diluted or altered at the bottler.

Legally, mixtos can contain one or more of the following ingredients:

Caramel coloring
Natural oak or Encino oak extract (holm or holm oak extract).
Glycerin
Sugar-based syrup

All those non-agave ingredients are also part of the recipe for a hangover (as are the congeners in alcohol).
In general, 100% agave means better quality, flavour, taste and purity, fewer congeners, no additives - and a lower chance of a hangover.

Also check out this site for Tequila news: www.tequilaaficionado.com

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

#15 julirama723

julirama723

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Larry Mac, thanks for the link and the info!

You learn something new every day. :)

I knew *something* in "cheap" tequila made me feel nasty the next day. (When I read those other sources speaking of mixto containing alcohol distilled from grain, it didn't seem so far-fetched, especially with other problems I've had with grain-distilled alcohol.) I'd have to venture a guess that one of the additives attributed to my hellacious symptoms the next day. I know that for me, sugary syrups and alcohol DO NOT mix well...

Re: vodka--
I do know that Smirnoff, Skyy, and Tito's are distilled from corn, as far as "other grains" are concerned. Most are distilled from grain, though they are distilled many times and should not have any gluten whatsoever. I'd really love to find some Chopin vodka some day, or Teton Glacier, which is made in Idaho.
Graves Disease 5/95-5/97
Mom Dx Celiac 9/08
IgA Deficient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: