4 replies to this topic

#1 LLH

LLH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

I have just been diagnosed. Been attempting gluten-free diet for two days now and I'm hungry! What should I keep on hand to snack on? Is Jell-O okay? What about ketchup and mayo? It's very frustrating to go to the pantry and find nothing to eat! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:18 PM

Jello is made by Kraft. Any foods made by Kraft are gluten-free as long as there is no mention of wheat, rye, or barley in the ingredients list. Kraft has a policy that they will not hide these ingredients under a name such as "natural flavors" or "modified food starch."

Heinz ketchup is gluten-free.

There is a pdf file with a two-week gluten-free menu: see this post

Finally, consult the food, products, and medications section--where many of your questions might already be answered--

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

Until you learn the ropes I would suggest sticking to fruits, veggies, and non-marinated good meat or seafood. Chec out your loacl health food stores and they can show you all their clearly labled glutenfree items!

Good luck!

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:43 PM

I would agree to stick with veggies and fruit until you know what is and whats not gluten free. Kraft and General Mills are 2 brands that will not hide anything on their labels so unless you see wheat,rye,barley,or oats on the label they are ok. It gets easier and we are here to help if you have any questions :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

LLH, welcome to the board! In addition to what the others have said, here are some gluten-free food list but you should always check the ingredients just to make sure, can never be too careful :)

Mainstream products that are gluten-free

http://homepage.mac..../GFfoodlist.pdf ** must have Adobe to view link**

Safe and Forbidden ingredients - it is a good idea to print this out, I keep this list and all my gluten-free food list in a three ring binder notebook and would take it with me to the store when I first started eating gluten-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: