Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Sharp, Stabbing Upper Abdominal Pain With Gluten Exposure?

• Please log in to reply

13 replies to this topic

#1 Caitlin9267

Caitlin9267

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:21 AM

I am a newly (3 months) diagnosed celiac and have been vigilant at eliminating gluten from my diet. Since I have been gluten-free, I have had four episodes of sharp, stabbing pain in my upper abdomen that disappears after several hours. I contacted my (disinterested) GI doctor who insisted that it was unrelated to accidental gluten exposure and subsequently ordered an ultrasound of my gall bladder...whiich was negative. Has anyone experience this type of pain as a result of gluten exposure?? Thansk!!
Caitlin9267
A lifetime of CFS symptoms and borderline ANA results and superthin build
2004 diagnosed with hypothyroid disease
2007 diagnosed with osteopenia
2008 intussusecption reduced with surgery and lymphoid hyperpasia
2008 confirmed celiac both biopsy and bloodwork

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Pain in Amanda

Pain in Amanda

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:57 AM

I have severe pain at the bottom of my ribs is this "upper abdominal'?

#3 Caitlin9267

Caitlin9267

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

I have severe pain at the bottom of my ribs is this "upper abdominal'?

Thanks for your reply...the pain that I experience is just below my sterum and centered just below my ribs. Is this similar?
Caitlin9267
A lifetime of CFS symptoms and borderline ANA results and superthin build
2004 diagnosed with hypothyroid disease
2007 diagnosed with osteopenia
2008 intussusecption reduced with surgery and lymphoid hyperpasia
2008 confirmed celiac both biopsy and bloodwork

#4 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

My pain is on the left side, just under the ribcage. I don't see why it couldn't be in the center, under the sternum. As I understand it, people feel the pain in different parts of their abdomen. And yes, it is pain triggered by gluten. If you have only been glutenfree for a few months, you might feel the pain for up to another year as your body heals itself.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#5 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

I have just had an attack of this last night. For me ...it is gall bladder. Whenever you change your diet there is the risk of eating more fat. Last week I tried a new type of gluten-free crisps....they tasted really nice but by that evening I felt a bit off colour .. 3 days later I have a gall bladder attack. Before being gluten-free - I would never eat crisps as I knew they were too fatty for me.. duh ..

I had ultrasounds for 17 years that were always negative.. My mystery pains were a real mystery ..until a new Dr and a new radiographer and the gall bladder 'sludge' was found. Gall Bladder sludge doesn't often show up on an ultrasound and is often just found during surgery. But the effects of the sludge is the same as stones - worse even.

Try sipping lemon juice every morning before breakfast and see if that helps. So far I have avoided surgery by using lemon juice type cures.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#6 Granny Garbonzo

Granny Garbonzo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

I am a newly (3 months) diagnosed celiac and have been vigilant at eliminating gluten from my diet. Since I have been gluten-free, I have had four episodes of sharp, stabbing pain in my upper abdomen that disappears after several hours. I contacted my (disinterested) GI doctor who insisted that it was unrelated to accidental gluten exposure and subsequently ordered an ultrasound of my gall bladder...whiich was negative. Has anyone experience this type of pain as a result of gluten exposure?? Thansk!!

nearly 50yrs young and celiac disease nearly 20yrs<br />2 grown daughters, 1CD, other probably in denial, and 2 little grandaughters celiac disease<br />My elderly mother celiac disease in LaGrande Oregon<br /><br />I am healthy and active and love life too much to stray from celiac disease diet. <br />

#7 Granny Garbonzo

Granny Garbonzo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

I wrote a reply but don't know what happened to it. It was long and complex.
Anyway. I have had this same problem for 20 years only just a few times. Back in 1989 the doc wanted to remove my gall bladder and I did not, still have it today and it is fine. The problem is with the large bowel, which has a section that goes across the top of your abdomen under the rib cage. It swells and becomes irritated and inflamed in that area because that is the most sluggish area of the bowel. If it gets really bad, the swelling and inflamation will form an obstruction of sorts and you will vomit and have loose bowel movements as your body exits everything from below and above the obstruction.
What I find helpful is to take an anti-inflamatory such as ibuprofen, and drink only water with a tiny bit of soda in it, sipping this as much as you can. No food or drink for quite a while as this seems to further irritate the bowel. Remember, if this one section is irritated, the whole digestive system is irritated too.
Take care
granny
nearly 50yrs young and celiac disease nearly 20yrs<br />2 grown daughters, 1CD, other probably in denial, and 2 little grandaughters celiac disease<br />My elderly mother celiac disease in LaGrande Oregon<br /><br />I am healthy and active and love life too much to stray from celiac disease diet. <br />

#8 Granny Garbonzo

Granny Garbonzo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

I have just had an attack of this last night. For me ...it is gall bladder. Whenever you change your diet there is the risk of eating more fat. Last week I tried a new type of gluten-free crisps....they tasted really nice but by that evening I felt a bit off colour .. 3 days later I have a gall bladder attack. Before being gluten-free - I would never eat crisps as I knew they were too fatty for me.. duh ..

I had ultrasounds for 17 years that were always negative.. My mystery pains were a real mystery ..until a new Dr and a new radiographer and the gall bladder 'sludge' was found. Gall Bladder sludge doesn't often show up on an ultrasound and is often just found during surgery. But the effects of the sludge is the same as stones - worse even.

Try sipping lemon juice every morning before breakfast and see if that helps. So far I have avoided surgery by using lemon juice type cures.

If this really is gall bladder, add your lemon juice to a couple of tablespoons of oil (expeller pressed is best) this will result in a gall bladder flush. Repeat a couple of times each day for a week or so.

#9 Pain in Amanda

Pain in Amanda

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:59 AM

As Dessa said it affects everyone differenlty, but it sound like we are only inches away from our pain. Try the stretches she suggested but go very slowly at first. I am actually to scared to try until I find out which way she stretches.

Good luck to you and I wish you the best.
Amanda

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

If this really is gall bladder, add your lemon juice to a couple of tablespoons of oil (expeller pressed is best) this will result in a gall bladder flush. Repeat a couple of times each day for a week or so.

Do be very cautious if you decide to try this. If you have stones this 'flush' can have dangerous results. The flush will cause the gallbladder to contract forcefully and there is a risk of rupturing the tubes if you have stones. Do a through research on the flushes and their risks before trying.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 Hummingbird4

Hummingbird4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

It was this exact type of pain that caused me to go see a GI and get an endoscopy. The result was a diagnosis of Celiac Disease. So I'd say yes, they could absolutely be related.
Diagnosed Celiac in June 2008 by biopsy and blood tests.
DQ2.2 (HLA DQA1*0201:DQB1*0202) and DQ2.5trans (HLA DQA1*05) positive.

#12 gingerthing

gingerthing

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I really had to respond to this post. YES. I GET SHARP STABBING PAIN LIKE THAT ALL OVER MY ABDOMEN, scarey pain from gluten. Gluten terrifies me ust thinking of ingesting it and going through that pain one more time! I hope that helps!
Dx: Celiac 2013 (Recent)
Hashimoto's
Dysautonomia
Lupus Anticoagulant

Misdiagnosed a lifetime til Age 41:

Misdiagnoses in last 15 years, Reactive Hypoglycemia, Anxiety, Depression, Fibromyalgia, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, I.B.S., Lactose Intolerance, GERD, Kidney Infections (over and over...negative Bacteria!), Viral Gastrinitis (more times than i count), Panic Disorder. And I can't remember the rest!

#13 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I see you are new to the board. Welcome. :) Do be sure to check the dates of the last posts on threads you are posting in, as some of them are quite old. The person you just replied to has not posted on the board in almost 18 months so will probably not see your post :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 steermom

steermom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

I, too,am newly diagnosed and the sharp stabbing pain was what initially what made me go to the doctor. I've had symptoms for years and been told by a doctor to stop drinking diet soda (lol) to getting a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (without testing).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: