• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

Check this out:
http://abcnews.go.co...story?id=541707
The most emailed story of the day...
Ruth
Diagnosed 3/03 (Positive Biopsy/Negative Blood Tests)
Daughter dx 12/03 (Positive biopsy/Positive blood tests);
Two sons (Negative blood tests); One on gluten-free diet (6/04) ... cured his persistent, severe headaches.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_barbara3675_*

Guest_barbara3675_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

Thank you for putting this up, I am very surprised that other people have not reacted to it on this thread. I feel sure that there are many things that are connected with gluten intolerance and this is one of them. The stats in this article are very interesting. I think we are at the tip of the iceberg and people will be learning about celiac disease and gluten intolerance more all the time. Hopefully doctors will read up on it so they can be more helpful to their patients that don't do studying on their own. Barbara

#3 Deby

Deby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:08 AM

Interesting article. I was disappointed to see that nation wide screening is not recommended via this article. The cost is always the bottom line. What about health and the cost of damage done as a person eats gluten over a long period of time. I met a celiac disease sufferer the other day who was just diagnosed at 24. His mother says his symptoms started at age 4! Twenty years of damage is just unacceptable when a blood test may have revealed celiac disease so much sooner.
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#4 Ruth

Ruth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:11 AM

At least it is a step in the right direction. If doctors test for celiac based on other illnesses (osteoporosis, anemia, etc) that's a start.
I bet the pharmaceutical companies with drugs to reverse osteoporosis won't like this... hmmm.
Ruth
Diagnosed 3/03 (Positive Biopsy/Negative Blood Tests)
Daughter dx 12/03 (Positive biopsy/Positive blood tests);
Two sons (Negative blood tests); One on gluten-free diet (6/04) ... cured his persistent, severe headaches.

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:24 PM

Yes--I read that article in....about four online support groups... :lol:...just never thought to share here--will keep an eye out for things like these in the future.

And that's great--celiac is getting great publicity and this might help someone with osteoporosis get a diagnosis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: