3 replies to this topic

#1 Esther Sparhawk

Esther Sparhawk

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

I'm baking a birthday cake for my daughter's birthday, and I need black icing. In the rural area where I live, I can't find food coloring that color. But a local party store carries pre-made, packaged icing from a company called Wilton. The ingredients say: sugar, corn syrup, water, cornstarch-modified, carrageenan, salt, citric acid, sodium benzoate, artificial color, FD&C red #40, FD& C blue #1, FD&C yellow #5.

The only thing I can see that's questionable, is the modified corn starch. And to my understanding, they're required to list wheat, if it's in the modified corn starch, right?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

[quote name='Mechelle Annie's Mom' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:53 PM' post='472983']
I'm baking a birthday cake for my daughter's birthday, and I need black icing. In the rural area where I live, I can't find food coloring that color. But a local party store carries pre-made, packaged icing from a company called Wilton. The ingredients say: sugar, corn syrup, water, cornstarch-modified, carrageenan, salt, citric acid, sodium benzoate, artificial color, FD&C red #40, FD& C blue #1, FD&C yellow #5.

The only thing I can see that's questionable, is the modified corn starch. And to my understanding, they're required to list wheat, if it's in the modified corn starch, right?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone. Thanks.
[/quote
-------------------
Correct.

I see no gluten ingredients.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

Is there a number you can call??? It looks like it would be fine, but I would try to double check if you can. I wouldn't worry about the modified corn starch, if it were wheat they would have to list it. But I would call if you can find an 800 number, I always feel a bit better if I can talk to a live person. I have used Wilton's icing in the past, but that was about 2 years ago. I know their tubes of icing contain wheat, but it is clearly listed. Hope you get an answer, good luck with the birthday party!
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

#4 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:34 AM

I use their gel colors regularly. I've also called the company MANY times inquiring about gluten and they've always been nothing but super sweet and super helpful. If you're unsure, I'd give them a call. Just make sure to have the package handy because they will ask you for info from it to be sure you're talking about the same thing.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: